Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stripping some lacquer paint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
18degrees

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Stripping some lacquer paint Reply with quote

Long story short- painted the cowl around the driver on my McLaren M23 build entirely with TS 36 and realized that i needed to paint part of it white. Decided to start over and strip the paint entirely. Didn’t think (this comes back later) that i had any 91% alcohol and wasn’t gonna go the brake fluid/cleaner route, and i searched numerous stores in the area for some 91%... only to come up empty handed (thanks COVID). Had some lacquer thinner... used that to strip the paint off. Worked pretty well (wore gloves and a mask) but turned the paint and primer into some gunky mess. Got most of that off and washed it with Dawn. Left a slight film on it so i sanded that with 400 grit then 1000 grit, felt pretty smooth. Put it in primer a little bit ago, will see how that turns out.

Then i checked the medicine cabinet and found some 70% - and then i checked another cabinet which has soap making supplies. Lo and behold, there was a nearly full bottle of 91% alcohol! Damn.

So if the thinner & sanding thing doesn’t work out, should i soak it in 91%?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

91-92% works on Tamyia every time for me.
Citri-strip is a good stripper too.
Hot Wheels

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..agree ..agree
18degrees

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
91-92% works on Tamyia every time for me.
Citri-strip is a good stripper too.

do i soak it, much like de-chroming in the purple stuff, or do i rub with a cotton ball or something like that?

if soak is the option, for how long?
bigryan18

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soak it
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I found that would strip laquer is the purple stuff and you have to soak it for a least 12 hours and then use a toothbrush to get the old paint off. An old 1/24 model case, the clear part, works good as a bath tub for your body. just buy a gallon of the purple stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: