Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hand lettering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Hand lettering Reply with quote

Cool pic I came across

john843

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think either Wrangler or someone decided the white decals didn't pop enough and made yellow ones on the spot!
I remember being surprised at the time that almost all the top cars at the '70 Southern 500 had decal numerals. By then I'd already become a fan of hand-lettering by virtue of being allowed to go down and join my (future at the time) Father in Law and Delma Cowart get their cars done by an old guy named "Snuffy" who showed up with a half pint bottle of Old Grand Dad in each back pocket. Someone asked him why he had two bottles and he replied 'because I'm doing two cars, fool". He was amazing to watch though.

John
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Will the SIGN PAINTER please report to car # 09 garage stall ?!? "
One of my very favorite PA announcements - From Back in the Day - at Riverside Raceway. ..up

Last edited by George Andrews on Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
" Will the SIGN PAINTER please report to car # 09 garage stall ?!? "
One of my very favorite PA announcements - From Back in the Day - at Riverside Raceway. ..up

BTW -- I'm thinking the picture was taken at Daytona Speed Weeks 1981. The rear spoiler has the top curl " Gurney Flap " that NASCAR & teams experimented with in an effort to keep the new 110" wb GM Notchbacks from taking off during practice & qualifying. Also note the extra hole to the left of the spoiler end; likely another experiment during Speed Weeks 1981.
Wakefan77

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to sound dumb, but why do cars from that era have the metal covering at the edges of the rear bumper?
WR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aero
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: