Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modifying windows to fit from the outside instead of inside

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Modifying windows to fit from the outside instead of inside Reply with quote

On a handful of kits, the windows install from the inside instead of the outside, which leaves a bit of a gap instead of having the glass flush with the bodywork. I ran into this on my '92 Kyle Petty build, and I decided to modify the body and the windows to install from the outside.

In this particular build, I actually replaced the front windshield entirely since the braces molded into it didn't match the ones from the real car, but you can use the original kit windows just fine. The kit windows will be larger than the opening because of how they were designed to mount, so you'll need to modify them. (If you do want to make your own windows from scratch, I used
.020"clear PETG plastic sheet.)

These aren't the prettiest instructions, but hopefully they make sense. It's not a complicated process, but it is difficult to get the windshield the same size and shape as the opening so that it fits snugly without sitting up on top of the car, but also not having any gaps where too much material was removed. Trial and error! Work slowly!

Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another good tip....
gks1964

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: