Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which decal solution with Powerslide decals ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goodwrench3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Which decal solution with Powerslide decals ? Reply with quote

Hi all:

I'm working on the Salvinos JR '82 Gatorade Buick kit and this is the first kit I've built where the decal sheet has the gauge decals on it (Powerslide).

I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to use some type of decal solution on them to get them to "snuggle down" on the molded gauges -- the decals also look a bit big for the molded gauges.

I've used one type of solution in the past and it destroyed the decals.

What are you all using with the Powerslide decals ? And any tips for the gauge decals ?

Thanks
18degrees

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use MicroSet/Sol for Powerslide decals and it’s fine.

For the decals, i put some setting solution on the molded gauges, apply the decal, and then put some more solution on top. Use a q-tip to snug them down after a few minutes.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Walthers Solvaset for all decals. It is HOT so you have to use with care.....but they have made it since the 1930's and I have used it since the 1960s.
Goodwrench3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18degrees wrote:

For the decals, i put some setting solution on the molded gauges, apply the decal, and then put some more solution on top. Use a q-tip to snug them down after a few minutes.

Thanks !

I'll give that a try. So you are only using the MicroSet and not the MicroSol ?
18degrees

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodwrench3 wrote:
18degrees wrote:

Thanks !

I'll give that a try. So you are only using the MicroSet and not the MicroSol ?

I use the blue one, whichever that it. Not sure if it’s Sol or Set.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound advice from both sides. If your solution is too hot, dip your brush in the solution and then just the tip in your water. This will dilute the solution to about 50/50 and you shouldn't burn your decals. Biggest mistake most make is using setting solution straight with no water.
Goodwrench3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
Sound advice from both sides. If your solution is too hot, dip your brush in the solution and then just the tip in your water. This will dilute the solution to about 50/50 and you shouldn't burn your decals. Biggest mistake most make is using setting solution straight with no water.

I think you meant "biggest mistake most make is using the solvent solution straight" ?

In the case of the Microscale products, the "setting" (Micro Set) solution should be pretty tame. I would think the "Sol" solution (Micro Sol) could be the "hotter" one.

Micro Set is the blue label.
Micro Sol is the red label.

Thanks
Goodwrench3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did most of the decals today on my 1982 Bobby Allison Gatorade Buick (Salvinos JR kit with Powerslide decals).

Thanks all ! They really worked well with Microscale Micro Set and Micro Sol products. I had to use both.

Unfortunately we can't post pics here or I would share the success !

Thanks.
Goodwrench3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey --

One other question.

Do you typically use the setting solution when applying the "Goodyear" decals to the tires ?

Or not ?
james220

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually spray the tires with gloss coat, once its dry I use setting solution on the tire decals. once they are dry I use dull cote on the tires. I then use a little Tamiya weathering stick to knock down the white letters shine. I do all this with the tires on the wheels. I use a dime to keep everything off the wheels. Some times I use Solviset and sometimes Microsol. Both seem to work equally well with Powerslide decals.
Goodwrench3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks !

One last question -- putting decals on top of another decal.

On this Bobby Allison car, there is a green panel decal and then part of the contingency sponsor cluster decal goes on top of it. Is it OK to put Microset over a decal that has been applied and dried ? Or is that going to loosen/hurt the decal ? In other words, once a decal has dried, should you not put Microset on it again ?
james220

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do. Might want to go easy on the setting solution over other decals but I've ever had a problem if the base decals are dry.
Goodwrench3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james220 wrote:
I do. Might want to go easy on the setting solution over other decals but I've ever had a problem if the base decals are dry.

Super thanks for the reply. I'll be sure and let the base decal dry overnight first.

..up
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodwrench3 wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

I think you meant "biggest mistake most make is using the solvent solution straight" ?

In the case of the Microscale products, the "setting" (Micro Set) solution should be pretty tame. I would think the "Sol" solution (Micro Sol) could be the "hotter" one.

Micro Set is the blue label.
Micro Sol is the red label.

Thanks
Yes, sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: