Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tell me about your tires.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Tell me about your tires. Reply with quote

I think I'd like to step up my game where my tires are concerned. In days past I'd sand the tread and paint the lettering/sidewall with a water based craft paint. I'd like to see all your tips on making those tires look as real as possible.
gks1964

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I build mostly pre 80's cars I use PPP tires with decals. I guess that I'm no help! But interested in seeing what everyone does.
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Monogram kit tires, I scuff the “tread”, wash the tire with dish soap, and water( for you literal folks). Insert wheel, coat of future with a brush. Apply tire brand decals, hand writing, weights etc. Then a coat of Tamiya xf-86 with a brush on the tire only.
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done two straight early 90s white letter Goodyear builds, and the method I've used on those has been to rotate the tire around and use the plain side instead of the raised letter side and use decals. Similar to Orangeastre's method, I scuff the tread and wash the tires with dish soap and water. I spray gloss coat on the sidewalls, let it dry at least overnight, then apply the tire decals (Powerslide decals) and let those dry at least overnight as well.

After that, I spray a very light misting of Tamiya Smoke over the decals to take away some of the harsh brightness of the white decals and make them look more natural, and then finally I finish things off with some flat clear.

Here's what the finished product looked like on my last build, this was from an AMT kit, but the current build I'm doing is a Monogram kit and it seems to be working just as well on it (just need to do the final flat clear application once it stops raining for a bit!) The little bit of imperfection from the Tamiya Smoke helps the lettering look a lot more realistic in my opinion.

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, some good tips. Dan, those look awesome!

HERE's the thing. I have been afraid to attempt futureshine on any tires. Seems to me they would eventually crack? Also, the only paint I've ever gotten to dry on tires is the water based latex style paints.

So I guess what you're telling me, is not to fear clearing over tires? Or is it that the clear needs to be a specific type? (Acrylic, enamel... acrylic enamel?) I'm assuming once there's a successful base coat the final dullcote can be nearly anything?
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No enamel, I have a set of tires I hand lettered in the early 90’s. Still tacky....
Dan Belcher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I've done some experimenting with that. I actually managed to get away with using Future for the gloss finish pre-decal and then Tamiya lacquer flat clear for the final finish on a few IndyCar builds over the last couple years and haven't notice any cracking. I used Tamiya lacquer clears for both the gloss and the dull on my most recent ones and haven't noticed any problems with that either. To be safe, I recommend going ahead and installing the wheel into the tire before clearing, that way you don't flex the sidewalls much moving things around later. Just mask off the wheel when you do your clear coating, I recommend either using a coin, or you can try what I did: I cut a circle out of a styrofoam plate and stuck it to the end of a dowel to let me hold it in place and then pick it up, so I can just reuse the same piece of masking over and over again quite easily.

The most important thing: do NOT use enamel. It will quite literally never dry.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeastre wrote:
No enamel, I have a set of tires I hand lettered in the early 90’s. Still tacky....
..laugh3 ..laugh3 ..laugh3
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Belcher wrote:
Thanks!

I've done some experimenting with that. I actually managed to get away with using Future for the gloss finish pre-decal and then Tamiya lacquer flat clear for the final finish on a few IndyCar builds over the last couple years and haven't notice any cracking. I used Tamiya lacquer clears for both the gloss and the dull on my most recent ones and haven't noticed any problems with that either. To be safe, I recommend going ahead and installing the wheel into the tire before clearing, that way you don't flex the sidewalls much moving things around later. Just mask off the wheel when you do your clear coating, I recommend either using a coin, or you can try what I did: I cut a circle out of a styrofoam plate and stuck it to the end of a dowel to let me hold it in place and then pick it up, so I can just reuse the same piece of masking over and over again quite easily.

The most important thing: do NOT use enamel. It will quite literally never dry.
These are quite good suggestions, thank you. Over the years tire detail is something I've eschewed, beyond tread sanding and adding a valve stem. I think I'm wanting to try some of these techniques now. Smile
Firefly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ALWAYS use decals for the brand lettering, but after final dullcoating, I'll dab a medium-firm brush in some brown or gray dry pastel dust and brush it over to weather the lettering a bit. I've handwritten the 'LF", etc., with a chip from a yellow china marker (sort of a grease-pencil).
Pierre Rivard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brush Future on sidewall
decal
Future to seal decals
Brush Vallejo matt varnish 70.520
Soot color Tamiya weathering master to tone down the white
Use more weathering master for used tire
[url[/url]
Snake3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Scuff the tire with sanding sticks.
2. Raised letter tires can be trimmed away with a hobby knife. Trim a little off and sand the rest.
3. Wash tire with soap and water, let dry.
4. Apply decals and gel pen markings, let dry.
5. Spray with dull coat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: