Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tamiya thinner yellow cap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joe b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: tamiya thinner yellow cap Reply with quote

not sure if this is the right spot for this but since it pertains to paints i would use to paint stock cars, maybe.-i have a bottle of tamiya lacquer thinner with the yellow cap i picked up from a LHS that was closing for cheap. what can i use it for? can i use it to thin their acrylics or thin down testors enamels or even pre mixed for airbrush paints like
model car world lacq?

thanks joe
john843

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe, I'm not a Tamiya expert by any means but I think you're safe to do anything with the yellow top thinner that you would with any generic can of lacquer thinner. I think the Tamiya is a little diluted to make it plastic-bottle safe but I've used it to thin the Tamiya putty, clean brushes, and thin some lacquer decanted from a spray can that I got at Advance Auto.
Slightly weaker regular lacquer thinner, but no special brew.

John
peglegderek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great brush cleaner. Also use it sparingly to clean up bad paint jobs. But beware it will remove chrome.
joe b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys. haye you ever tried to thin acrylic paints with it?

joe
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe b wrote:
thanks guys. haye you ever tried to thin acrylic paints with it?

joe

I wouldn't. You can experiment but do not think it would work as water and solvent based paints are apples and oranges. I use it just for lacquers and it works for enamels. I use Tamiya acrylic thinner for the acrylics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: