Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turning plastic to paint?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Turning plastic to paint? Reply with quote

I know, I know, the title's a tad misleading. I have a Monogram Superbird (non Petty edition) molded in blue. It's such a gorgeous shade on this particular car I know I'll never match it and I've always wondered, is there a process of polishing and clear coating I can use, so when done it doesn't LOOK like polished plastic under clear coat?

As an aside, I suspect this kit was cast as the hopper ran low. Most of their "Petty Blue" cars, are either too dark or too light. This one is near dead on.
JamesT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this “sandpaper” to polish stuff, just work through all the grits and finish with compounds it’s quite amazing the finish you can get whether on bare plastic, clear plastic or painted finishes

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B001BHGC7G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesT wrote:
I use this “sandpaper” to polish stuff, just work through all the grits and finish with compounds it’s quite amazing the finish you can get whether on bare plastic, clear plastic or painted finishes

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B001BHGC7G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have that on hand, GREAT stuff! My worry though, is I'll have to clear coat for the decals and I'm worried it will look like painted plastic or worse, a cheap aisle toy car. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'll give these a try and see where they take me. Worst case scenario I strip it down after and paint it. Smile
JamesT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but I think if the plastic is shined up it should be fine. Unless you want to clear over the decals at the end then I would worry that a clearcoat may affect the bare plastic. Maybe use the 2part urethane stuff if you have it available.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesT wrote:
True, but I think if the plastic is shined up it should be fine. Unless you want to clear over the decals at the end then I would worry that a clearcoat may affect the bare plastic. Maybe use the 2part urethane stuff if you have it available.
Would Duplicolor auto clear be a safe alternative? I'll need to clear coat for the decals. No matter how you polish plastic the edges will show. That much I know.
james220

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I polished plastic on the orange Thunderbolt and it looked great but if you use a dark under coat it's going to show through the plastic. That was orange, not sure what's going to happen with blue. It did sorta look like polished plastic.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my end game. Trying to duplicate this car.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: