Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Talladega: AMT vs. Polar Lights - Body Accuracy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firefly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Talladega: AMT vs. Polar Lights - Body Accuracy Reply with quote

I have both kits. I hold that the AMT is more faithful to the 1:1 for the basic Torino body, but the Talladega nose add-on seems clunky. Seems it does not droop down enough, so the headlamps seem large and grill too tall.

The Polar Lights is more accurate up front, and the body is nicely race-prepped, but I really don't like the flat roof, which makes the side window openings seem low and long. The actual car has a nice gentle 'dome' to the roof, similar to the '60s Mustang.

I am considering grafting the P.L. nose (forward of the hood) onto the AMT body...

Any thoughts or observations...?

Thanks in advance!
Bill J

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, I bought a brand new 69 Torino Cobra in 1969 and I am very familiar with the shape of the car. I agree the top is too flat on the PL body and the door and trunk lines are excessive.

The AMT suffers from drip rails that are poorly defined, other trim as well. I have actually cut the nose off of one and graphed it onto a PL body so I could make a 68 using a Modelhaus grille.

The rear of the AMT also should be replaced with some of the PL body rear end. Both the PL and the AMT rear spoilers are too large also. The AMT being massive. I always sand the PL spoiler down to make it look more like the actual race cars. It is hard to make the panel between the tail lights look correct on the AMT. The PL is fine on the Ford body, not correct on the Mercury body though. The Merc body has a better top curvature to my eye.

Hope my thoights help you.
gks1964

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
This very interesting!
bangor boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll echo Bill J's comment. Strange but true. The Cale Yarborough Mercury Cyclone that I have has a properly set nose. But the Petty and Pearson Torino Talladegas have that distinctive upturned nose.

Plus, all these bodies need attention to remove mold lines and other imperfections like weird swirls and raised areas on the doors and fenders.

Curious about the options for the engines. All these kits offer the choice of a 427 or 429 engine. But the 427 option instructions don't show or offer the parts for the oil overflow tank. Any suggestions on where to acquire one (3? 4?) would be appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: