Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Allison '72 Coke Chevy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irocer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Allison '72 Coke Chevy? Reply with quote

I have the new reissue of the #12 Chevy. In researching the car interior looks gray or it has bare metal panels in there. Can anyone confirm the interior and or chassis colors? Also does anyone have good images of the rear of the car?
Mack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe this will help.

https://www.firstgenmc.com/museum/NASCAR1.shtml
BW

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between Mack, me and a few other members, we can provide you with any info and photos on BA's '72 Monte Carlo. I know I have probably over a hundred photos of this particular car. My most favorite car of all time.

The interior was usually semi-gloss black. There were some photos where the interior was red. Just depends on which car you want to build. This car used several different combinations of the block style and serif style #12s. Also used red bumpers in some races. Again, just depends on which particular car/race you want to build. We got'cha covered!

Here's just a sampling:
[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

Hope this helps. If you need any more info just let me know.

Bobby
irocer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that does help! thanks! One more question: engine block, natural or painted?
BW

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go either way with the engine color. Some teams would paint their engines and some wouldn't bother painting. Bobby usually left his engines unpainted.

I use Testor's Model Master Metallizer paints shot thru my airbrush. I use different shades. Usually Burnt Iron for the block, aluminum for the intake, Stainless Steel or Aluminum for the oil pan and transmission, and Gunmetal for the heads. I have used different colors for the bell housing including Chevy Engine Orange or just some other shade of the metallizers. The valve covers were usually the "finned" type on this car and I paint these Stainless Steel. I paint all my Holley carbs using Tamiya X-31 Titanium Gold which is a close match to the true Holley color.

Here is the only photo I have of the engine compartment of the Coke Machine:
[img]

Hope this helps.

Bobby
Henryjint

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BW wrote:
You can go either way with the engine color. Some teams would paint their engines and some wouldn't bother painting. Bobby usually left his engines unpainted.

I use Testor's Model Master Metallizer paints shot thru my airbrush. I use different shades. Usually Burnt Iron for the block, aluminum for the intake, Stainless Steel or Aluminum for the oil pan and transmission, and Gunmetal for the heads. I have used different colors for the bell housing including Chevy Engine Orange or just some other shade of the metallizers. The valve covers were usually the "finned" type on this car and I paint these Stainless Steel. I paint all my Holley carbs using Tamiya X-31 Titanium Gold which is a close match to the true Holley color.

Here is the only photo I have of the engine compartment of the Coke Machine:
[img]

Hope this helps.

Bobby

Looking at this under hood picture noticed the air cleaner/intake ducting is different than what is in the AMT kit.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henryjint wrote:

Looking at this under hood picture noticed the air cleaner/intake ducting is different than what is in the AMT kit.

The actual airboxes on the Chevys needed to clear the distributor, so were split to go around it.

odcics2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many cars did they use? 2-3?
(speedway, short track, spare?)
RussMyers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As near as I've been able to tell when he drove for Junior, the interior was black. His own MC had a red interior.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly...Thanks for clarifying that for me!
Bluesman Mark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From this angle, that particular air cleaner doesn't look split. It looks more like the cowl induction air cleaner first used by Smokey on his cars:

That air cleaner was first available in kit form in the AMT 1966 Impala annual kit:

Around 1970-71, AMT altered the tooling of that kit into a race only version for their "Modified Stockers" series. The Model King did a limited run of most of that kit series around 2006-07, & I can verify that the air cleaner is still in the kit.

Here's a pic of the Model King reissue:

mattyc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://scenesunltd.com/products/mystery-motor-air-cleaner-e08

Danny has these air cleaners available great part as good as a kit piece
Bluesman Mark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattyc wrote:
https://scenesunltd.com/products/mystery-motor-air-cleaner-e08

Danny has these air cleaners available great part as good as a kit piece

Nice! You can tell from the pic that it's a direct copy of the one in the 66 Impala. That's good as the part is cheap & easier to get than the now somewhat scarce Model King reissue.
Yellowsportwagon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Junior built this car he used a Holman Moody frt clip and try arms in the rear correct? In the third picture posted it even looks to have a Holman moody dash. When Bobby drove his own car did it have the same chassis layout or was it one of his own chassis?
Mack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Yellowsportwagon"]When Junior built this car he used a Holman Moody frt clip and try arms in the rear correct? In the third picture posted it even looks to have a Holman moody dash. When Bobby drove his own car did it have the same chassis layout or was it one of his own chassis?[/quote

] I've always heard Bobby built his own chassis. And Juniors cars would have had the curved door numbers, Bobbys cars would have ran the more square looking numbers.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Stock Car Racing Magazine July 1972

BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember reading that article when it came out in Stock Car Racing.
Bill
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:

] I've always heard Bobby built his own chassis. And Juniors cars would have had the curved door numbers, Bobbys cars would have ran the more square looking numbers.

Junior started the season with two cars. Bobby insisted on racing his own car a few times also, most notably for a win at Trenton, NJ.

The number font is not a giveaway, I believe they started the season using one font on the short track car Junior built, and the other type font on the superspeedway car Junior built. At Atlanta in the spring (their first win together) the car had one font on the left door and a different font on the right door. The simple font eventually was used everywhere.
Mack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
Mack wrote:

Junior started the season with two cars. Bobby insisted on racing his own car a few times also, most notably for a win at Trenton, NJ.

The number font is not a giveaway, I believe they started the season using one font on the short track car Junior built, and the other type font on the superspeedway car Junior built. At Atlanta in the spring (their first win together) the car had one font on the left door and a different font on the right door. The simple font eventually was used everywhere.

was the holman-moody font one of a kind? the ones on the Cyclone?
BW

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
Tom M. wrote:
Mack wrote:

was the holman-moody font one of a kind? the ones on the Cyclone?

Mack, I've seen the following 3 fonts on the H-M cars Bobby drove in 1971:
[img]

[img]

[img]

As far as the different number fonts on the BA '72 Chevy MC, I think I've studied this car and it's number fonts about much as can be done and there just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to them. Even seen red and chrome bumpers and some bumpers that are half red and half chrome. Sometimes the car had on the rear qtr panels: "the real thing" while on others it had "here's the real thing."

The majority of the interior color was black. I've only seen one photo where it was red. Even the headlight/tail light block offs were sometimes gold and sometimes silver (aluminum.) The rear end usually had "It's the real thing" but at the Rebel 400 at Darlington he had Roy Buckner Chevrolet.

Someday I'm going to sit down and go race by race and figure out what scheme Bobby had at each race. May take some time to do and I think it is doable. I would just like to know for my own satisfaction.. The '72 Coca-Cola Chevy is my all time favorite race car scheme.
Bobby

Last edited by BW on Wed May 02, 2018 8:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice ref pics. Which brings me to a few questions that have had me perplexed for a while now. Neither intake manifold provided in the '66 Impala kit are correct for Smokie's '63 Chevy, correct? Also, was there a correct race intake made for this engine in plastic, or resin? Second, is that the correct air cleaner with the single intake that Smokie used on his "Mystery" engine, and for how many years was the single intake air cleaner housing used, before it was modified to the double air intake air cleaner shown, and how many years was that basic configuration used? Also, was that air cleaner ever made in plastic, or resin? Lastly, was the '71 Torino pictured, a leaf spring car, or maybe an experiment with truck arms? Thanks, great thread guys!!!
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BW wrote:

Mack, I've seen the following 3 fonts on the H-M cars Bobby drove in 1971:
[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

As far as the different number fonts on the BA '72 Chevy MC, I think I've studied this car and it's number fonts about much as can be done and there just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to them. Even seen red and chrome bumpers and some bumpers that are half red and half chrome. Sometimes the car had on the rear qtr panels: "the real thing" while on others it had "here's the real thing."

The majority of the interior color was black. I've only seen one photo where it was red. Even the headlight/tail light block offs were sometimes gold and sometimes silver (aluminum.) The rear end usually had "It's the real thing" but at the Rebel 400 at Darlington he had Roy Buckner Chevrolet.

Someday I'm going to sit down and go race by race and figure out what scheme Bobby had at each race. May take some time to do and I think it is doable. I would just like to know for my own satisfaction.. The '72 Coca-Cola Chevy is my all time favorite race car scheme.
Bobby

Bobby, I'm not 100% sure but I'm over 90% sure the cars that had Roy Buckner Chevrolet on the rear were Hueytown cars and not JJ cars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: