Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

#2 Miller Lite 2014

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
18degrees

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: #2 Miller Lite 2014 Reply with quote

this will be a WiP "in progress", I have the motor done. wheels and tires are started, will be shown next.

decals from Mike's modern engine goodies sheet, tried to put on a seemingly microscopic "Holly EFI" decal onto the front of the fuel injector bowl, but I lost the decal while trying to apply it! man it was small.

more to come soon...
james p

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the photos coming. great work on the engine so far.
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: a tad bit more progress Reply with quote

got the wheels and tires mostly done, just need to add the fluorescent tape guides

body is painted with 3 coats of MCW Fleet White, not glossed yet because I have to wait for the weather to cooperate so I can spray the blue. and for reference, I decided to go with MCW Dark Blue (ie. Stroh's blue) for the blue, even though they recommend Racing Blue (think Sunoco) on their color application chart. sprayed both on plastic and the dark blue matches the blue on the decal sheet better.

hood is painted, glossed, rubbed with Buff-Ez, and decaled

chassis work is next, have to decide what manner I will lower the stance. pretty sure I will cut the rear springs down just a bit and try to drill some new holes in the front suspension to mount the front wheels.

Last edited by 18degrees on Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
18degrees

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: wheels and tires are done Reply with quote

all details from Mike's tire goodies sheet
18degrees

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: more paint finished Reply with quote

added the blue along the bottom of the car, 3 coats of MCW Dark Blue, found that to be closer to the blue on the decal sheet. also 3 coats of MCW lacquer clear. will be rubbed out with Buff-Ez here in a few days, and the decals will be started.

18degrees

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: chassis almost done and a bit into the decals Reply with quote

been at this off and on for about 6 hours tonight... lordy...

chassis only needs the front wheels attached. rear was lowered via cutting the springs down, the wheels need to be pulled in under the body a bit, that will happen next build...

tail light decals are a bit wrinkly towards the top, basted them with some Micro-Sol, hopefully they lay down. the black decal that stretches from the A pillar to the B pillar didn't fit, I assume that since these are the 2014 decals and this is a new glue kit, that's why they didn't fit. hopefully the new Danica #10 kits I ordered for other builds will have them. all the headlights, grilles, and tail lights are from the Harvick kit sheet, the rest are Powerslide.

bigryan18

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your headlight decals are on wrong, the amber parts should be facing the wheel wells. They're also reversed as the one on the the should be on the right side..
18degrees

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigryan18 wrote:
Your headlight decals are on wrong, the amber parts should be facing the wheel wells. They're also reversed as the one on the the should be on the right side..

Well ain’t that some stuff... thanks for the heads up. Will correct that when i get my Danica kits. They seemed to fit so well...
Scotty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not trying to be picky, but straight curiosity. Why exactly are you building the '14 version car on a '17 body style? im confused....
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
not trying to be picky, but straight curiosity. Why exactly are you building the '14 version car on a '17 body style? im confused....

1. Not fond of the snap kits
2. Powerslide didn’t make a decal sheet besides the ‘14 sheet
3. Have had the kit in my closet since it came out and couldn’t find anything i wanted to build it with.
4. Most importantly, because i can.

Good enough?
Scotty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good enough? Do I sense some hostility on the opposite end of the keyboard? I was just asking. If you were being funny, then next time add a LOL or smiley. I do sarcasm and smart ass except when I'm legitimately asking a question.
1st, I don't know how long you have been doing this, (for me 30 years) but I went out of my way to give you the paint info that YOU requested from all of us at this board ( I like to help, especially new guys) only to tell us thanks but I'm going this way. Why bother asking if you are not going to take the advice.
2nd, How do you manage to put headlamp decals on backwards with all the reference photos you smothered the board with in the paint section?
3rd, Ill give you more advice, Ronnie at SMH hobbies has a resin fusion front clip piece you can splice in on a 17 Fusion kit so you can backdate to the correct year.

Now....is this good enough?
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
Good enough? Do I sense some hostility on the opposite end of the keyboard? I was just asking. If you were being funny, then next time add a LOL or smiley. I do sarcasm and smart ass except when I'm legitimately asking a question.
1st, I don't know how long you have been doing this, (for me 30 years) but I went out of my way to give you the paint info that YOU requested from all of us at this board ( I like to help, especially new guys) only to tell us thanks but I'm going this way. Why bother asking if you are not going to take the advice.
2nd, How do you manage to put headlamp decals on backwards with all the reference photos you smothered the board with in the paint section?
3rd, Ill give you more advice, Ronnie at SMH hobbies has a resin fusion front clip piece you can splice in on a 17 Fusion kit so you can backdate to the correct year.

Now....is this good enough?

hmm... do I sense a bit of sarcasm on your end of the keyboard?

may I retort?

1. I did follow your advice about the paint, going with dark blue, as you suggested. didn't say that I was "going this way" against your advice on paint, specifically. I just used a different brand of paint besides Tamiya. I even used your suggested spoon method of testing paints. so it would seem i took all your advice... so i have no idea what this point is about on your end.
2. I just carelessly slapped them on without consulting the reference photos that I "smothered to board with" (I think it was 3 pics).
3. thanks, but I am not going to cut the front clip off a nearly finished model. I do love accuracy when it comes to making models, but I am pretty happy with how it turned out. plus, most of the folks who will see this completed model wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a '14 Fusion and a '17 Fusion.

there, that should be good enough. let's end this here, huh?

Last edited by 18degrees on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: a bit more done... Reply with quote

...with corrected headlight decals, none the less!

with the build being so close to completion, this will be my last post about it until the Showroom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: