Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who is/was J.D. Stacy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 through 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alby Moore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Who is/was J.D. Stacy? Reply with quote

Howdy Gang,

I've seen various pictures and TV footage of early 80's races and have noticed the name J.D. Stacy on several cars of the time. Who was this person? The couple of searches I've tried doesn't yield much useful information beyond mentioning he was Kentucky business man and NASCAR team owner.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Alby
It doesn't mean I don't desire to
Point the finger, blame the other
Watch the temple topple over
To bring the pieces back together
Rediscover communication
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The '70's were a time when a lot of "nontraditional" team owners began to enter NASCAR. With no factory involvement, a person of means could buy equipment that was as good as anybody who was racing and could legitimately contend for wins and championships. Jim Stacy, Rod Osterlund, Billy Hagan, Warner Hodgdon, Nelson Malloch, Chris Vallo, Harry Ranier, Kenny Childers, John Rebhan, and several others all started new teams or purchased/funded existing teams in that era. An unusual number of those teams were started by people in the coal industry. Stacy, Ranier, and Childers were all involved with coal and energy in some way, and if you add Billy Hagan who was a contractor to the oil industry in Louisiana/Texas then it's apparent that the wealth generated by the energy boom of the '70's financed several of those teams.

Jim Stacy came on the scene when he bought the #71 car from Nord Krauskopf and hired a young Neil Bonnett to drive. He made a big splash but the obsolescence of his Dodge equipment caused him to fade from the scene somewhat by '79-'80. In '81 he was back full-force with the introduction of the downsized cars. At one time (I think it was the Daytona 500 of either '81 or '82) Stacy either owned or funded seven or eight teams. This concerned Billy France and they instituted the rule that one car owner could only have two cars on the Winner's Circle program. They didn't like the idea of one car owner funding almost 20% of the field, it took too much control away from NASCAR.

Stacy always seemed to be temperamental, he didn't have the public clashes with NASCAR that some owners did but since he didn't have sponsors to please he was able (and willing) to just pack up his stuff and leave. I suspect that he also was very busy with his businesses, and the energy bust that occurred in the early '80's seemed to cause him to leave the sport.

"You should never point a loaded gun at anyone. This is not a hard and fast rule, however. A hard and fast rule is that you should never, ever, point an unloaded gun at anyone." P.J. O'Rourke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alby Moore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the indepth answer. So I guess it is fair to say he kinda laid the groundwork for today's mega multi-car operations like Hendrick, Rousch, et al. Another reason for asking is that I knew Dale Earnhardt drove for Stacy after he acquired the team from Rod Osterlund Racing in 1981. It didn't last long obviously as Earnhardt left and took the Wrangler sponsorship with him to Richard Childress to finish out the '81 season.

Thanks again. Like I said, there isn't a lot of information out there for J.D. Stacy beyond mentioning him as a car owner in NASCAR.

Cheers,
Alby
Rediscover communication
ea757grrl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall that Earnhardt wasn't keen at all on J.D. Stacy. Earnhardt had a fairly new multi-year deal with Osterlund and things looked great for him, then Rod sold the team in 1981 to concentrate on his developing business, Stacy came in and fired a bunch of people and replaced them with his own people (whom Doug Richert said had no idea what they were doing). Earnhardt drove (IIRC) four races and left Stacy's outfit.

There's also the somewhat famous story about Stacy yanking his support of Dave Marcis in 1982 after Dave pushed Bobby Allison back to the pits at Pocono after Allison ran out of gas. Allison went on to win, beating Tim Richmond, who was driving for Stacy.

I've always thought it appropriate that so many cars in "Stroker Ace" were Stacy cars. Clyde Torkle and Jim Stacy seem one and the same, to me anyway.

jodie
danimal5m

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Stacy only owned 2 cars. The #2 team he bought from Osterland and the #5 team driven by Combs, McCall, and Sauter. He "sponsored" the 28, 44, 47, 71, & 90. Most teams did not receive their promised sponsorship money and by 83 he was down to a single car, the #2.
danno

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacy also screwed Harry Hyde on the #71 team. Harry had litigation in the courts for years over the deal.
jdroke1045

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J D Stacy made the news in Memphis in 2006, when he unvieled a plan to develop a $517 million dollar resort at Elvis' former farm at Walls, MS.

The project features the following (sorta/kinda i guess at this point):

Go Kart racing complex

two hotels and a convention center,

650 "luxury condominiums" (tentatively priced from $600,000 to $1.2 million - it cost a lot to live in rural mississippi

three wedding chapels and a number of "honeymoon cottages."

Elvis museum (i guess Graceland isnt good enough)

two golf courses,

a reproduction of the White House (I cant figure that one out)
hemihead357

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other words he was/is a fella with more money than brains Laughing
Digger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Said that right Laughing
Billy Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacy also pulled his sponsorship from Terry Labonte because it had "Unapproved Sponsorship" on it. The unapproved sponsor was Strat-A-Graph, owned by car owner Billy Hagen. I had read that it was more a way to get out of paying the team then an actual issue, but since it was before I was born, I really don't know the reasons.
WANTED: Stock Car Miniatures Kits http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?p=532247#532247
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ea757grrl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Unapproved associate sponsorship decals" was also the excuse he gave for yanking his support from Dave Marcis and the #71, but it's widely believed that was a fig leaf for the real reason.

Having dealt with (and, in one case, worked for) a few folks in my career who'd make Jim Stacy seem like a minor-leaguer, I know they'll find a way to run people over, throw their money around (or withhold it) and get what they want, all the while not realizing (or caring) that the way they're acting is keeping them from the success they're seeking.

There's no telling what kind of success Jim Stacy could have had if he'd been able to control his Type-A tendencies, and had he let the people who knew what they were doing run things. When you consider the talent in those cars at various points, when you consider the people he inherited when he bought Osterlund's team (which had just come off a championship season), and when you consider how many of those people he alienated, cut off, replaced or fired, it says an awful lot about how it's possible to have everything and yet have nothing.

jodie
Digger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of like the owners of the Redskins and Cowboys Laughing
Alby Moore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digger wrote:

And the NY Yankees.
Rediscover communication
Wild Bill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An early Jack Roush type
here are some stats on him.
http://www.racing-reference.info/owner?id=stacyji01
I believe he passed way some years ago??
danno

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this pic in Raytona's Fotki album.

http://public.fotki.com/tona/1981-1996-rays-nasc/jdstacycars.html
composerp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Stacy sponsored cars are from 1982 not 1981. Just wanted to clarify in case anyone's building those cars.

Paul
Composerp
fordfan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digger wrote:
Yeah and i'm a Cowboys fan Laughing
raytona

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: neil Reply with quote

1977 j.d. stacy was know as jim stacy.that what was on car.neil bonnett was his drivers.tacy buy the k-k ins.dodge 71 and change no 5
Red9car

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: from Junie's shop... wall photo of J.D. Stacy Reply with quote

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzepy13e/index.html

10 years of being a member!
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so we know who J.D. is now, but what is Stacy-Pak? Is that an actual thing, or just what the cars he sponsored were called? Seems a little weird to me that a man advertising no tangible product would sponsor 7 cars???
Rob

2014 Bench Cleanup
✓ March- AMT Lumina "technique practice" build http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=82181
✓ April- Dick Trickle Tribute Grand Prix http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=82579
✓ May- Kurtis Kraft Indy "big car" http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=83133
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacy-Pak was a vitamin product, IIRC. No, I can't imagine the connection either.

"You should never point a loaded gun at anyone. This is not a hard and fast rule, however. A hard and fast rule is that you should never, ever, point an unloaded gun at anyone." P.J. O'Rourke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tracstir

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding all the negative comments and assumptions I've been reading about J.D Stacy, has anyone even met or know him personally???? I'd like to hear from THAT person.
Tracstir

Last edited by tracstir on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
tracstir

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI
J.D Stacy is alive and well, Thankyou very much!!!!
Tracstir boogie
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love for Mr. Stacy to talk about his experiences in NASCAR, maybe write a book or do an interview. It was a fascinating time in the sport, he was associated with some of the more interesting people and stories of the era.

Marcis diecaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this on the internet. Sems to tie stacy pac in some how?

modelsbyray2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: hey Reply with quote

maybe it refered to his "pak" of race car drivers???
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l67/raylawsonII/
WALLYDOG007

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Stacy found some dynomite connected to his street car on time? A colorfull fellow, not always liked.
racingfan126

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of Stacy, but none of the stories about him were good. It sounds like he wasn't liked by to many. Reminds me of the DiGard team owners, I read that Bobby and Donnie Allison didn't have much use for them after getting it stuck to them. Robert Yates was another one who thought little of them too. IIRC, Darrell Waltrip had problems getting out of his contract too.
TCFAN

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: JD Stacy Reply with quote

Stacy also had no problems scaming the little guys. Right after Ron Bouchard, won the Talladega race, the Stacy name was painted on the RaceHill Farms Buick.
On open weekends Ronnie would come home and run Lenny Boehlers Modified at Seekonk. These pictures were from the Seekonk pits. I heard Len was never paid for the sponsorship. Mike Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 through 1989 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: