Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Removing molded on chrome trim...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Removing molded on chrome trim... Reply with quote

I'm using a Fireball Roberts 57 ford kit to build a local racer. I need to remove the molded on chrome that runs along the rear fender underneath the fins. I usually just sand it off but I end up killing off some details I'd like to keep. Any techniques to share?
Jim N

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with the kit, but oven cleaner will take off the chrome. I use it from time to time to strip paint so I think it should be okay if there is any plastic around the chrome.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably didn't explain myself very well. This isn't the chrome plated type chrome, but actually molded plastic on the car body that would be painted or bare metal foiled. I need to remove that plastic to make it appear that the trim/chrome had been totally remove from the car.
Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used an Xacto blade to 'shave' down trim, just glide along like a straight-razor. Polish down after with sanding swabs.
spooker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a layer or two of masking tape on either side of the trim, refresh the tape as necessary. When you get most of the trim removed, use one layer and finer sandpaper or sanding stick. The final few thousandths I just try to be careful. It's never fun!

Brian
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not considered tape....good idea.
john843

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use a flat black guide coat when removing molded detail. Works like a charm in that it lets you see in real-time every time the sanding stick touches anywhere that is not the molding.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: