Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Success with Slixx decals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thenderson0728

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Success with Slixx decals Reply with quote

Just an FYI for everyone. Some may have figured this out, but if not I found that if I use a bowl of near boiling hot water when applying slixx decals and a wet paper towel to get the air bubbles out, they have a much less tendency to break up. I have used 5-6 sheets recently with great success using this method. if needed i put a drop or two od blue dawn dish soap in the water to allow you to more freely move the decal once on the model.
Jim N

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. How do you not burn yourself and how do you keep the water that hot?
thenderson0728

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim N wrote:
Thanks for the tip. How do you not burn yourself and how do you keep the water that hot?

I sit my bowl on a hotplate and I use needlenose pliers to dip the decal in the water then lay it on a paper towel. That hot of water wont take long for the glue to loosen the decal from the paper.
Jim N

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information.
KDM_Racing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very helpful. I have been very frustrated with a set of Jimmy Spencer Kmart decals right now
KDM_Racing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So once you get them in place in one piece. What do you do to keep them from curling up and falling off?
thenderson0728

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDM_Racing wrote:
So once you get them in place in one piece. What do you do to keep them from curling up and falling off?

I use solvaset setting solution. I've never had a problem with them curling during application. Once I am done I cover everything with two part urethane automotive clear coat. keeps them from ever chipping as well.
thenderson0728

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDM_Racing wrote:
This is very helpful. I have been very frustrated with a set of Jimmy Spencer Kmart decals right now

this is one of my more recent Slixx ventures with no issues.

calabash breakfast
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tweezers work well also and they're a little more delicate than needle nose pliers. I've been using hot water for years, I just keep sticking it back in the microwave after every dunk.
KDM_Racing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thenderson0728 wrote:
KDM_Racing wrote:

I use solvaset setting solution. I've never had a problem with them curling during application. Once I am done I cover everything with two part urethane automotive clear coat. keeps them from ever chipping as well.

Thank you, but more questions. How long do you wait to clearcoat? and are you treating the decals with anything before you put them in the hot water?
thenderson0728

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDM_Racing wrote:
thenderson0728 wrote:
KDM_Racing wrote:

Thank you, but more questions. How long do you wait to clearcoat? and are you treating the decals with anything before you put them in the hot water?

The paint I use is water based, so I have to clear before I do decals. I use automotive two part urethane clear so usually 24 hours is fine to do decals. then I clear over the decals once applied. the nice thing about the two part clear is that it is as inert as water and stays shiny. I usually wet sand and polish after about 48-72 hours of application. It is tough stuff. I actually have to try to get through it to hurt the decals or paint while wet sanding or polishing. As far as the decals go, I did not treat them with anything at all. I keep them stored in a 3 ring binder in a sleeve that fits an 8.5x11 sheet of paper and they stay perfect even for years. The hot water seems to soften them a little so they are not as brittle.
Horrorshow

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a set of Slixx Jimmy Spencer Zippo from Mike’s. It came with a note warning me that they were old and I should use some brush on restoring solution (I used Microscale). I also used Microscale setting solutions since the body I used them on was not flat. I had no issues and I think it turned out pretty good.
Hope this helps.

I used them on a 1962 Catalina, look for some pics in the NASCAR section.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: