Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A member passed away yesterday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: A member passed away yesterday Reply with quote

I'm posting here and in the Darkside since that's where he would post.

Buford Wilburn passed away yesterday after a short battle with cancer. It's a big loss for the hobby, Buford was an outstanding modeler who created many masters for resin NASCAR conversions. It's an even bigger personal loss for me and for those who knew him.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. Very quick. Saw Buford a couple weeks ago at the show in Spartanburg and he was planning to be in Salisbury next week. A great modeler but an even greater person. So glad I found could call him my friend. Will miss him .
Bill
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a super guy. I was lucky enough to have met him many a times around the Carolinas. PRAYERS to he and his family. Please let us know of any services and/or where we can send condolences. Thanks Tom
Henryjint

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prayers to his family.
catpack68

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s terrible news.Buford was really nice guy and a very talented and knowledgeable vintage NASCAR builder.Definitely a big loss to the hobby🙁
R.J.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom I only new Buford from the Salisbury show when I came down over the years and got to hang out with you and him at the show and lunch after the meet at a "Good BBQ place" as he would say.. Always fun to talk with him and see his Darkside builds. R.I.P my friend.
Bill J

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had the pleasure of meeting Buford but I was very familiar with his modeling skills. Buford mastered some of the nicest, most accurate bodies. The ones that stand out to me are the Mercury Montego's from 73 and 76.

Buford will be missed both as an individual and as an excellent modeler. RIP Sir!
Mack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear this. He mastered some really nice "missing links". And I bet he was a super good guy from what I've read. Prayers for his family and friends.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm saddened by this news. I met him only once but liked him, and I wish I could have known him better. He brought an awful lot of knowledge to this place and was unfailingly helpful to everyone. He is already missed.

Jodie Peeler
Rocketman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to hear of Buford's passing. I had not had the chance to meet him but am well familiar with Buford and his works. Thinking back now I am reminded of how many of us are now gone since I first joined the group around 2003.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Obit... Reply with quote

Buford Hampton Wilburn

Leesville-- Service for Buford Hampton Wilburn, 64, will be conducted at 3:00 p.m. Sunday February 9, 2020 at St. John's United Methodist Church. Visitation will be from 2:00 until 3:00 p.m. in the church fellowship hall prior to the service. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to St. John's UMC 513 West Church Street Batesburg, SC 29006. Barr-Price Funeral Home, Historic B-L Chapel is assisting the family.

Mr. Wilburn died Thursday February 6, 2020. Born in Union, he was a son of the late Elizabeth Richardson and Wade Hampton Wilburn, Jr. Mr. Wilburn was a member of St. John's UMC, the Board of Trustees, the United Methodist Men, the SC Modelers Association and retired from SCDOT. Mr. Wilburn enjoyed working in his yard, restoring old tractors, and cooking for family and friends.

Survivors include his wife, Tricia Furr Wilburn, a daughter, Laura Katherine Wilburn, brother, Wade Frank Wilburn, sister, Emma Gayle McCain, nephews, Rhett and Franklin Rinaca, Charles Sanders, III, and a niece, Cassandra Hamerschlag.

He was predeceased by a sister, Elizabeth Irene Rinaca.
Lionpride

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: