Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mike Waltrip #23 Haw'n Punch MC NEW UPDATES

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Mike Waltrip #23 Haw'n Punch MC NEW UPDATES Reply with quote

OK Folks; This thread has been updated with all the old pics restored (except for 1) as of 02-26-18. Still working on recovering the last half-dozen or so conversation exchanges but essentially its all here. I need to work on spelling issues and the layout so it is easier to read and comprehend. In converting from a pdf to a text doc, then uploading it to the forum, lots of letters and even words get dropped as does most of the formatting. Kind of like someone who texts too fast and doesn't use spell-check! Laughing Laughing Anyway I hope to add some more photos and re-start the discussion to complete the information needed to get some decals made for the '85 Monte Carlo.
Post new topic Reply to topic Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 through 1989
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:10 am Post subject: Mike Waltrip #23 Kroger/Haw'n Punch MC Need Help! Reply with quote
FOLKS BRANDON MILLER NEEDS YOUR HELP!

This request was posted on the NASCAR MODELING DISCUSSION panel but since this is actually a Grayside project I thought I'd post it here too.

If Brandon can complete this it will be the only set of decals to completely and accurately do this car.

[/quote]

Brandon Miller wrote:
3 questions

1) Anyone know what's on the trunk?
2) Anyone know what's on the C pillar?
3) Anyone know what's on the rear of the car?

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:56 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brandon you beat me to it I was going to give this a bump and see if anyone could be of help.

Here's what we know so far: Michael entered only 5 cup races in 1985 and only 2 with this paint scheme. Those races are:

Race #25 Oct. 26, 1985 The Miller High Life 500 @ Charlotte
Race #27 Nov. 3, 1985 Atlanta Journal 500 @ Atlanta International Speedway.

There are only 2 photos circulating on this Board of this car. The one shown above and another one basically from the same angle where Mikey is shown duking it out with Phil Parsons.

There are a plethora of pics out there for his 1986 Pontiac 2+2 but it seems that no one except for one guy at Charlotte took Mikey's photo in 1985. That is hard to believe.

I have no involvement with this project other than that of an interested party who wants to build this car, and am willing to do a little research for Brandon to get this to completion. But my resources are tapped out. On Brandon's behalf I'm putting out a plea to anyone and everyone. Check your books and magazines. Check your photo collections. Check your memory banks.

If you are checking magazines, check the issues that are 2 to 4 months past the event date. Back then magazines needed an average of 90 days lead time to bring stories and photos to publication.

On the C-pillar decal, I'm sure at least one person on this Board, in particular those of you who are collectors and students of contingencies can identify this one from the existing photo. I've seen you guys come through on some pretty rare stuff before! (Remember the Super Chicken nose decal on the Dodge Daytona?)

But of course a rear photo of this car even a distant or "accidental" photo will help.

If one of you comes through, I will personally award you with the Golden Atta-Boy Award (via email) which will entitle you to be known as a hero a champion, and a leader of men. You'll also get a key to Randy Ayers' executive washroom and you'll get the Board's one and only covered parking stall for a month!

Dig deep you guys we need your help!

Thanks.
Jerry

Matt T.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm no expert, but the C pillar looks like a red & white version of the "certified with pride in USA" as seen on the 84-87 wrangler cars.

'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:11 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Matt! Another lead to track down! Would you have a copy of the logo you could send along for review?

Jerry

'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:12 am Post subject: Reply with quote

tim.drake17 wrote:
I found this pic, doesn't really help though. Strange it has Pontiac Motorsports on Monte Carlo.

The C pillar is "Crafted with Pride" (across top) "in USA" (along bottom) It's on the Powerslide #11 Budweiser sheet (DW 1985)

I think I remember Sav-on on the TV panel.

I want to say the trunk has the Hawaiian Punch guy but that is a guess only.

Tim;

Thank you for the photo! I believe this was the version Mikey drove @ Atlanta. NOTE: Subsequent research has shown this to be a photo of the Charlotte car taken during qualifying. By placing the Pontiac Motorsports logo on the C-pillar during qualifying the team was "telegraphing" their intent to go with Pontiac in their first full-time season in 1986. First time I've seen a second version of this car ANYWHERE! The C-pillar decal is different from the one shown on the Charlotte car which opens up another set of variations and possiblities to track down. Speaking for me only, I regard this as progress rather than another hurdle since it gets us closer to replicating this car with maximum accuracy!

Please let me know where you found this photo, and can you send me a high resolution scan via email so I can run it thru Photoshop to see what else this pic may reveal. (PM me for my email address). Also could you send along a scan of the Powerslide DW Budweiser sheet? A normal resolution scan will do for this.

It appears that the mystery logo on the trunk of the Charlotte car is missing from this one. Also you said you recall a Sav-On logo on the TV panel..... did you see this car in-person or do you know of some other pics that might be around...... please help.

Lastly I'm not seeing the "Pontiac Motorsports" in this pic........

A note to everyone...... Tim's lead comment in his post revealed that he didn't believe his photo would advance the research at all. Thankfully he sent it along anyway. Don't let this stop you from sending in even a lousy photo. Or giving even a sketchy anecdotal recollection. Everything you contribute is another morsel of fact that gets us closer to the truth.
NOTE: I've added a cropped version of the Pontiac logo here and a 1986 promo card which also shows the Pontiac Motorsports logo in better detail

Many thanks!
Jerry

VirginiaJeff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:42 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Hopefully this is helpful. I want a set of these when they're ready!

halfbreed999

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:01 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Im no expert, but if any of you have the #47 hawaiin punch decal, look closely at the character. Looks like him on the trunck (the hawaiian guy), but in yellow outline.
PS I still need to find 6 more books. Still looking for photos of the car. Hopefuly a rear shot.
(also posted on the other one)

peglegderek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:43 am Post subject: Reply with quote
the c pillar logo is on the 80's Powerslide contingency sheet in 1/24 scale

'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
RE-POSTED HERE FROM NASCAR MODELING DISCUSSION

Matt T. wrote:
Jerry,

I think the "Pontiac Motorsports" is on the C pillar in Tim's photo.

I can see how that would be the "Punchy" character on the decklid. His outline is in yellow with hot pink hair flowing behind him.

I like this car. I'm looking forward to buying a sheet when Brandon has it up for sale!

Thanks to all who have contributed so far..... We've come a very long way in just a couple of days; much farther than we have in the nearly 2 months since Brandon first posted this thread! I feel we're on the verge of a breakthrough here.

Halfbreed: Keep going buddy, hope you find those 6 other books! I agree with your assessment that it it most probably the "Punchy" character on the trunk deck of at least the Charlotte car. Can't tell from the new photo if Punchy is repeated on the Atlanta car.

I've been playing with the image a bit in photoshop. I think I can make out the knuckles on his right hand, and some other unidentified body part through the rear window. The knuckles look flesh toned under magnification. It is difficult to I.D. what the yellow is precisely, and in all the renderings of Punchy that Ive seen from the time period Punchy is white, not flesh toned.
Here's a few samples that I've pulled off the net:

As you can see Punchy strikes different poses depending on the whims of the artist. Even if we all agree its Punchy on the trunk it is still imperative we get a photo to see which version was there.

Matt: Thanks for clarification on the C-pillar decal on the Atlanta car. Hopefully someone can come up with a closeup of this so it can be duplicated for the decal sheet.

'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
VirginiaJeff wrote:
Hopefully this is helpful. I want a set of these when they're ready!

Jeff;

Sorry I didn't properly thank you for your contribution. You hit a homerun with your pic of the "crafted With Pride" logo. Hopefully we can something just as good for the Pontiac Motorsports decal on the Atlanta car.

Keep plugging away at it..... I think we're close to a breakthrough.

Jerry

NOTE: A Black/White photo of the TV Panel on the '86 2+2 belongs here. Still trying to locate it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
I would go with Hawaiian Punch on the rear.

Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
If we could figure out for sure if the Hawaiian Punch guy was on the decklid, I could pretty much finish these up.

halfbreed999

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry guys. Couldnt find those books I was looking for. Wish I could have. I check all the others I have, and no pics. Im glad we have a bunch of guys on here that go the extra lenght for things. That is one of the reasons I joined this site. YOU ALL ARE A GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS & GALS.

tim.drake17

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there any gals on here??
#75 Dinner Bell
#14 Valvoline

halfbreed999

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes I do believe so Tim.

'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:06 am Post subject: Reply with quote
halfbreed999 wrote:
Sorry guys. Couldnt find those books I was looking for. Wish I could have. I check all the others I have, and no pics. Im glad we have a bunch of guys on here that go the extra lenght for things. That is one of the reasons I joined this site. YOU ALL ARE A GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS & GALS.

Appreciate your efforts buddy. We're all in it together. I know a lot of people who have the attitude of "giving a little and expecting a lot" you won't find that amongst these folks on this Board. We have a great membership... more like an extended family. That's the main reason this site works so well.

If you can remember the book titles or describe those books perhaps another member may have one and can pick up the search from there.

Thanks.
Jerry

'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:17 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Miller wrote:
If we could figure out for sure if the Hawaiian Punch guy was on the decklid, I could pretty much finish these up.

Hey Brandon;

I think it is safe to make the assumption that the TV panel had the Hawaiian Punch logo on it as shown on the Pontiac in the photo above. The lettering scheme on both cars was essentially the same. Maybe include a chevy bowtie for the license plate recess just for giggles.

There remains two issues that are important and only a photo can solve. Is Punchy's likeness on the trunk lid, and if so which version? I'm still trying to track down a version that has yellow in it like the one shown in one of the pics. I may have seen him on a yellow surfboard advertizing one of the new flavors.

Also from the existing photo, what we can see gives me the impression the graphics are not centered on the trunk lid. Makes me wonder if there's something else there we can't see.

The 2nd issue and one not yet discussed is how the blue accent color wraps around the rear of the car.

Just more food for thought.

Jerry

peglegderek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:18 am Post subject: Reply with quote
it looks like bare feet on a yellow surf board and if im not mistaken there was a pic like that way back when i kinda remember it when i was a kid

'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
peglegderek wrote:
it looks like bare feet on a yellow surf board and if im not mistaken there was a pic like that way back when i kinda remember it when i was a kid

Thanks Pegleg. I think we're recalling the same image. I'll do some research to see if they were marketing a new "yellow" flavor around late '85 early '86.

If I recall the Hawaiian Punch brand was owned by Del Monte at the time... might be a good place for me to start.

Always appreciate the input. Even tiny seemingly unimportant morsels can open up new leads. Everyone thanks again and keep up the good work.

Jerry

PS: Do you prefer "Pegleg" or "Derek" or does it matter?
I'm kinda lazy and like to shorten names to just 2 syllables!
PeglegDerek is 2 syllables beyond my authorized maximum! Very Happy

socal76

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
'67 Fairlane, on the pic showing the Monte Carlo you said you didn't see the Pontiac Motorsports mentioned by the sender. I didn't either until I looked closely at the C-pillar. Sure enough Pontiac Motorsports, and a Monte Carlo! Another build option for the sheet now.

'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
socal76 wrote:
'67 Fairlane, on the pic showing the Monte Carlo you said you didn't see the Pontiac Motorsports mentioned by the sender. I didn't either until I looked closely at the C-pillar. Sure enough Pontiac Motorsports, and a Monte Carlo! Another build option for the sheet now.

You possess superior observational skills SoCal! When the pic 1st came in, I didn't enlarge it to really take a look. Since then I have seen it and you are indeed correct.

Speculating, I would say that since Bahari racing was switching to Pontiacs to run full time in 1986 and this was Mikey's last race of the 1985 season (Atlanta) the "Pontiac" decal on the C-pillar may have just been a subtle announcement of what was to come.

Jerry

halfbreed999

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:25 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Jerry. Cant remember the name of the books. I got them about 10yrs ago when are library remodeled. The only one I remember was ramblin ragtop. But I did find out what happened to the books. Seems my wife gave them, along with a few others (about 10 boxes of books), plus 4 huge boxes of models to the veterans. Along with a bunch of other stuff. Bet they were happy. But hey its for a good cause. Gotta support our soldiers.

On another note, Id say the blue goes around the back under the spoiler. Seems to look like it.
peglegderek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:07 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you prefer "Pegleg" or "Derek" or does it matter?

Peggy no leg stick boy Derek Doughboy LOL and a few other words my friends call me Laughing will work im not sensative to nick names!
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:34 am Post subject: Reply with quote
peglegderek wrote:
Do you prefer "Pegleg" or "Derek" or does it matter?

Peggy no leg stick boy Derek Doughboy LOL and a few other words my friends call me Laughing will work im not sensative to nick names!

Got it Jim! Mr. Green

Thanks!

Jerry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote
bump
popcorn

"In His hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind." (Job 12:10)

SW MO - Somewhere along Rt 66
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:24 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the bump Jim.

Brandon's been ill, and I've been involved in other distractions.

Still looking for rear photos folks. Please help.

Jerry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:56 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
If I can start getting some help on the contingency decals, I may be able to start winding the artwork up.
halfbreed999

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad your back. Hope you feel better. Now what do you need? idunno
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:03 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello everyone, figured it was time to get you all fired up again!

Here's an update.

I may have gotten lucky. I found a source that may be able to provide the information we're looking for regarding the rear deck and TV panel of this car. It is promising, but I come from the school that says it ain't happening until it happens. So we will see, I am cautiously optimistic. The downside is that it will be 3 weeks to a month before I see any results; meaning whether or not the archive actually contains the specific information we're after.

So, troops, now is not the time to sit back and say "OK Jerry's got this handled" because I don't...... not until I have something tangible in hand. If any of you can think of anything or anyone who may have had anything to do with the 2 races in question, Bahari Racing, Michael Waltrip, Del Monte Corporation, Charlotte Motorspeedway or Atlanta International Raceway back in 1985/ 86 or anyone with Circle Track Magazine, or Stock Car Racing Magazine or if you know anyone who may have attended the races and may have a photo stuffed in a shoe box somewhere....... please, now is the time to wrack your brains, dust off those old memory banks think about where to look or who to call or contact.

Everyone listed above with the exception of Bahari Racing has been contacted at least once. I am considering contacting the heirs of Dick Bahre to see if they have any info. Meanwhile if anyone can think of other avenues let me know.

Brandon is completely up to speed as I have been emailing him with any significant updates. He's a busy guy so he doesn't always return emails or PMs right away. I don't know what his plans are at this point if he wants to release the set as is or wait to see if my new lead pans out. He will chime in as time allows I'm sure.

Thanks to everyone who's helped out so far. I need to ask you all to dig deeper and pull out the last ounce of ideas you may have.

This a great project whether you're a fan of Mikey's or not. Brandon is offering us a chance to build a truly rare racecar from the earliest days of Mikey's Cup career, and to do it right instead of settling for "close but not quite..."

Please help.

Jerry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:39 am Post subject: Reply with quote
'67 Fairlane wrote:
Hello everyone, figured it was time to get you all fired up again!

Here's an update.

I may have gotten lucky. I found a source that may be able to provide the information we're looking for regarding the rear deck and TV panel of this car. It is promising, but I come from the school that says it ain't happening until it happens. So we will see, I am cautiously optimistic. The downside is that it will be 3 weeks to a month before I see any results; meaning whether or not the archive actually contains the specific information we're after.

So, troops, now is not the time to sit back and say "OK Jerry's got this handled" because I don't...... not until I have something tangible in hand. If any of you can think of anything or anyone who may have had anything to do with the 2 races in question, Bahari Racing, Michael Waltrip, Del Monte Corporation, Charlotte Motorspeedway or Atlanta International Raceway back in 1985/ 86 or anyone with Circle Track Magazine, or Stock Car Racing Magazine or if you know anyone who may have attended the races and may have a photo stuffed in a shoe box somewhere....... please, now is the time to wrack your brains, dust off those old memory banks think about where to look or who to call or contact.

Everyone listed above with the exception of Bahari Racing has been contacted at least once. I am considering contacting the heirs of Dick Bahre to see if they have any info. Meanwhile if anyone can think of other avenues let me know.

Brandon is completely up to speed as I have been emailing him with any significant updates. He's a busy guy so he doesn't always return emails or PMs right away. I don't know what his plans are at this point if he wants to release the set as is or wait to see if my new lead pans out. He will chime in as time allows I'm sure.

Thanks to everyone who's helped out so far. I need to ask you all to dig deeper and pull out the last ounce of ideas you may have.

This a great project whether you're a fan of Mikey's or not. Brandon is offering us a chance to build a truly rare racecar from the earliest days of Mikey's Cup career, and to do it right instead of settling for "close but not quite..."

Please help.

Jerry

Why not twitter MW??? He is very accessible via twitter
tim.drake17

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe this will help. I'm almost positive that whatever logo is on the C pillar is the logo on the trunk of the Monte Carlo. I'd go with Hawaiian Punch on the back as 24collector said.

#75 Dinner Bell
#14 Valvoline
scalecentral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Not the same car, but here'd another pic of the Pontiac 2+2.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
WHOA! DUDE!

Scale Central!!! Thanks buddy! Yes you're right it isn't the Monte Carlo, but the 2+2 IS part of this project. Brandon does want to include the 2+2 on the sheet for the MC, but only if space allows. Otherwise he will most likely release a seperate sheet.

Please give me more details on this photo. What race was this taken at? Who or what is "WELE"? Does anyone know if this is a one-race deal or did they repeat again at some other time?
This is the first time I've seen a hood sponsorship on the 2+2 with a matching C-pillar placement. There is one other photo that I am going to post that shows another C-pillar sponsor but I need help with identification on.

Good stuff. This one is definately something to be included on the 2+2 sheet/ set.

Thanks again! thumbsup

Oh and one more thing..... this is probably the best photo comparison I've seen depicting the differences in the rear window designs of the Pontiac 2+2 and the Chevy MCSS. DOUBLE BONUS!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:34 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
I am thinking Daytona July 1986

http://www.racing-reference.info/driver/Grant_Adcox
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
3 pics from the '86 Bud at the Glen. Trying to I.D. the logo on the C-pillar. Sorry these are the best pics I have. Can anyone help?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:20 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Troy wrote:
I am thinking Daytona July 1986

http://www.racing-reference.info/driver/Grant_Adcox

Thanks Troy that certainly narrows it down. Any reason you discounted Talladega? The late Grant Adcox, only entered 2 cup races in '86; Daytona (race #15) and Talladega (race #17). Was there a paint scheme change in the Adcox car between those 2 races. This is the first photo I've seen of Grant's Cup car.

Thanks for your help.

Jerry

UPDATE:
I may have just answered my own question here. Troy I'm thinking Daytona race #15 too. Just did a quick search..... WELE is the call sign for WELE - AM 1380. Serving the Daytona area. They are a talk radio format these days but back in 1986 they broadcast Country Music.

Can anyone out there verify? Let me know if I'm on the right track (no pun intended!)

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
COPIED FROM NASCAR MODELING DISCUSSION
tim.drake17 wrote:
Is it Wegmans on the C pillar?

The grocery chain? Maybe, Wegman's is popular in that region. I'll do some searching. Thanks.

If anyone has a better resolution photo please help. Brandon will need it to develop artwork from.

Jerry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Got 2 Wegman's logos.
From the pic, this looks like its just the very top portion of the C-pillar logo. The yellow portion still remains a mystery. Shopping bags full of groceries maybe?? Also 1986 was the year they opened up their Federal Credit Union for their employees. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Jerry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:48 pm Post subject: WELE Reply with quote
Jerry,

Your right about WELE...( The Wheel as it was called)

It's a local radio station...

Stan
But I Know That I'll Be BAD4GOOD
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:09 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks BAD4...... another mystery solved. thumbsup

Jerry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:39 am Post subject: Reply with quote
So any updates? popcorn Just keeping it alive.
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:55 am Post subject: Reply with quote
The short answer is yes.

The long answer is...... there is no long answer.

Too soon to comment further. But this project has not gone away.

Jerry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Brandon Miller wrote:
Definitely not gone away. Jerry has been a huge factor in finding info that is needed for this. When this project is completed and decals are produced everyone needs to thank him more than me.

Thanks for the kind words Brandon. But the real thanks goes to all the members and some non-members who have responded to my incessant begging, pleading and grovelling. This has been a group effort and my sincere appreciation goes out to everyone who has helped out no matter how much or how little.

Here is where we are at this point. The project is not yet complete. I am waiting for some very critical information that may finally resolve the mystery of what logo or logos Mikey had on the trunk of his MC. I must emphasize the term "may". It is not a given that the information I'm waiting on will actually solve the mystery or that it won't open up a whole other can of worms. Its one thing to know what's back there, and quite another to know what it looks like.

On that note, here's something new, and with it comes another plea. I have it on good authority, mind you now, this is unconfirmed yet, but I have been told the Atlanta car had the Y-106FM logo on its trunk. Radio station WYAY in Atlanta broadcast Country music back in the 80s and would broadcast the Cup races to the metro-Atlanta area.

So here's the plea. Find me that logo. Please! Especially those of you who may have lived, currently live, or actively visit the Atlanta area. Call your ex-wives, or ex-girlfriends, your relatives, your high school friends, anybody! Once we confirm whether this logo was on the car we will need something that Brandon can make vector files from. Remember this has to be the logo from 1985. The station has gone thru many logos since and a format change, so your search has to be specific to the 1985 maybe 1986 time frame.

You guys have been absolutely fantastic in digging up obscure info, let's do it again and see what we can come up with. We are so close, we just have a few stubborn loose ends to tie up and we're done!

Thank you all! thumbsup
Jerry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:05 am Post subject: Reply with quote
This could be the Y106.7 logo.

Taken from this site -
http://formatchange.com/1067-wyay-relaunches-as-eagle-1067/

Also a while back there was mention of the Pontiac logo on the c-pillar of one of the Monte Carlos. Could this be the logo? --

Hope these help and don't just muddy the waters more.
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:42 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Jeff.

That's not one I've seen before. I'll add it to the reference files.

Thanks for the link too. Anything helps!

As for the Pontiac logo, That would also be on the Atlanta car. I recall the discussion, but will have to go back and see if a logo was offered up as part of the conversation. Thanks for the contribution and don't worry about muddying the waters. They can't get any murkier than they already are! Laughing

Jerry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:34 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Jerry. The ccc look like the old convient store sigh from that time. Stiil cant find a photo of the rear of the car. Any luck with the hawiian punch caracter?
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:32 am Post subject: Reply with quote
halfbreed999 wrote:
Hey Jerry. The ccc look like the old convient store sigh from that time. Stiil cant find a photo of the rear of the car. Any luck with the hawiian punch caracter?

Is it 3 "C's"? I can tell either. Hope someone has higher resolution photos.

As for progress on the '85 MC. I'm actually closer to a solution on the Atlanta car than I am on the Charlotte car, which is odd since its the Charlotte car where we can kinda see something. I am receiving a small package of info by mail that hopefully will answer all questions regarding the 2 '85 cars...... I'm hoping. With my luck it will just open up another can of worms, but I gotta try anyway.

Either way I won't see it before the end of next week, then I'll have some analysis to do before I can say anything else.

That's all I have for now. stay tuned.
Jerry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:51 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Back on the 1985 MC for a minute.....

Does anyone have any info on any of the radio stations AM or FM that served the Charlotte area back in 1985 and broadcast the NASCAR races?

It's another lead I need to track down. Any help?

Thanks.
Jerry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Jer. There not full ccc's. Like half of a u.They were real common in the chicago area back in the day. Orange rectangluar (up & down) signs at the top of the pole.

posted on the other one already.
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Like 3 split "U's"? What were they for? What did they symbolize? Is this for the convenience store outlet you spoke of?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to squeeze every last drop out of this "fruit".

Thanks for your help, every scrap of info gets us closer. thumbsup

Jerry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Like that or a backwards j. Just thicker. Not sure what it was for, except to let you know where the stores were. Instead of looking for the name on the building, it would be on a pole in the parking lot, or corner of the lot. Hope this is helping out. (posted on the other post).
NOTE: THIS THREAD CONTINUES ON FROM HERE. HOWEVER THE REMAINDER WAS NOT ARCHIVED BY THE WAYBACK MACHINE. I'LL HAVE TO RECREATE IT FROM THE PDF COPY I CREATED A FEW YEARS BACK THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE.

OK THE REMAINING ARTICLE IS NOW POSTED BUT IT IS VERY RAW AT THIS POINT. ALL THE TEXT IS HERE BUT THERE'S ALSO A LOT OF SUPERFLUOUS TEXT THAT NEEDS TO BE WEEDED OUT. ALSO THERE ARE MORE PHOTOS TO BE POSTED. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR PATIENCE

OK TROOPS!
Get ready to get excited! There have been some new developments, big ones, in just the last 24hrs on this project. This information has a litte of every thing for you. Some brand new info, some theories confirmed, some dispelled, a couple of new mysteriesto solve, (sorry) and one big old one that just wo n't revea tsef.
I have photos (video captures) from rare footage that I've just acquired. Some is poor quality, some is 3rd generation broadcast quaty (1985 technoogy ). I got more questons answered (and a few surpris es) on the Atlanta car than I did on the Charotte car.
The best news is we all get a ook at the right sid e of the car in both races and the rear of the Atlanta car is reveaed!
In the next few days I w be reviewng the footag e some more and extracting the best images I can, then photoshoppng them to clean them up a bit. Look for them to be posted by the weekend (make sure your rght cck buttons functon properly!)
I need to renew my appeal to all members who lve n, hail from, passed through once, have relatives living in, or have escaped from the Atlanta area. Once these photos are posted I'll need your expertise in solvng 2 new mysteries.
To the members who have the same familiarity with the Charlotte area, I'm working on a new theory and need your input:
What radio stations would broadcast the Charotte r aces? What are the cal-letters? Can anyone dig up any logos for those stations? Just tryin' to keep y'abusy!
I sti have feelers out to different outlets. I ne ver know at this point where the info will come from orwhen, but we are cose.... like 95% close to w rapping this up. In ust the past month or so we ha ve increased the body of knowledge on this rare car exponentialy. Let's get fred up, dig deep once a gan, as cose as we are it would be
a cryinshameto let it fizzle out because we coul dnt fnd that last 5%.
STAY TUNED!
Thanks.
Jerr

67 Fairlane
Locaton:Las Vegas, NV
halfbreed999
Locaton:Il
'67 Fairlane
halfbreed999
Posted:Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:52pm Post subject:
Like that or abackwards j. Just thicker. Not sure what it was for, except to let you know where the stores were. Instead of looking for the name on the building, it woud beon a poe in the parking lot, or corner of the lot. Hope this is heping out. (p osted on the other post).
Posted:TueAug 30,2011 8:15 pm Possubect:
OK TROOPS!
Get ready to get excited! There have been some new developments, big ones, in just the last 24hrs on this project. This information has a litte of every thing for you. Some brand new info, some theories confirmed, some dispelled, a couple of new mysteriesto solve, (sorry) and one big old one that just wo n't revea tsef.
I have photos (video captures) from rare footage that I've just acquired. Some is poor quality, some is 3rd generation broadcast quaty (1985 technoogy ). I got more questons answered (and a few surpris es) on the Atlanta car than I did on the Charotte car.
The best news is we all get a ook at the right sid e of the car in both races and the rear of the Atlanta car is reveaed!
In the next few days I w be reviewng the footag e some more and extracting the best images I can, then photoshoppng them to clean them up a bit. Look for them to be posted by the weekend (make sure your rght cck buttons functon properly!)
I need to renew my appeal to all members who lve n, hail from, passed through once, have relatives living in, or have escaped from the Atlanta area. Once these photos are posted I'll need your expertise in solvng 2 new mysteries.
To the members who have the same familiarity with the Charlotte area, I'm working on a new theory and need your input:
What radio stations would broadcast the Charotte r aces? What are the cal-letters? Can anyone dig up any logos for those stations? Just tryin' to keep y'abusy!
I sti have feelers out to different outlets. I ne ver know at this point where the info will come from orwhen, but we are cose.... like 95% close to w rapping this up. In ust the past month or so we ha ve increased the body of knowledge on this rare car exponentialy. Let's get fred up, dig deep once a gan, as cose as we are it would be
a cryinshameto let it fizzle out because we coul dnt fnd that last 5%.
STAY TUNED!
Thanks.
Jerry
Posted:TueAug 30,2011 8:23 pm Possubect:
Way to go Brandon!!!
If you could shoot me a PM or an email and give me a litte background on this retaer. Don't need to reveayour source.
Thanks.
HALFBREED999: Is this the quickie mart you had n mind??
Jerry

Posted:Wed Aug31, 2011 3:44 am Post subject:
[HALFBREED999: Is ths the qucke mart you had n mind??
Jerry[/quote]
?????????? need photo.
Posted:Wed Aug31, 2011 4:26 am Post subject:
halfbreed999 wrote:
[HALFBREED999: Isthis the quickie mart youhad in mnd??
Jerry
?????????? need photo.
This one buddy.........

You were tryng to tell me about a chain of quickie marts or convenience stores that had a logo smila r to what is on Mikey's C-pillar. Could ths be the one you were thinking of?
Posted:Wed Aug31, 2011 3:48 pm Post subject:
Found this photo of the pontiac. Oakwoods Home 500 1986.

7/1/2012http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.phPage 5 of 8Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Forum :: View topic - Mike Waltrip #23 Kroger/Haw'n P...
'67 Fairlane
halfbreed999
'67 Fairlane
'67 Fairlane
Posted:Wed Aug31, 2011 5:24 pm Post subject:
Nice Steve!
Always great tond new pics of this car or the '8 5 MC!
Thank you.
Jerry
Posted:Thu Sep 012011 11:09 pm Possubject:
Ok Brandon put me down for a few. Also would ke t hank everyone who had a hand in making this deca c ome to light. This is one of the reasons why I joined. Terrific members, great source of informaton, and a few guys on here with a great wealth of knowledge. So to all of you.
Posted:Fr Sep 02, 20116:55 pm Post subject:
I was just over at Mcks (Mach2) pace the other d ay and saw your Mad Croc Alps decals nstalled on a Monte Caro hes workng on. I was completely amaz ed at the deta n the wrap! And the opacity of yo ur Alps decals isnice. I asked mck if he knew whe ther you printed them over a white layer or not. Sad hewasn't sure. Anyways
don't sell yoursef short on the quality of your A ps stuff. Its great!
Now if youre talkingabout a more traditiona scre en printing process forthe Waltrip decas I would favor that over Alps since they would be a bit more forgivingto work with and certainy more opaque, whch would be an issue for whte over red paint or any areas where the color changes underneath.
Some reminders: I still need to hear from anyone who might beable to gve me some info on Charotte a rea radio stations from the mid 80s that would broadcast the races.
Also I wil be postng newpics of the Atanta car ths comng weekend, and maybe the Charotte car. I have more stuff on its way to me but not sure when it wil get here.
Jerry
AlsoI am working on possbly a newprinting servic e. If tworks out good these decals wi not be Al p but a very high quality sheet.

67 Fairlane
Posted:Wed Aug31, 2011 5:24 pm Post subject:
Nice Steve!
Always great to find new pics of this car or the '85 MC!
Thank you.
Jerry
Posted:Thu Sep 012011 11:09 pm Possubject:
Ok Brandon put me down for a few. Also would ke t hank everyone who had a hand in making this deca c ome to light. This is one of the reasons why I joined. Terrific members, great source of informaton, and a few guys on here with a great wealth of knowledge. So to all of you.
Posted:Fr Sep 02, 20116:55 pm Post subject:
I was just over at Mcks (Mach2) pace the other d ay and saw your Mad Croc Alps decals nstalled on a Monte Caro hes workng on. I was completely amaz ed at the deta n the wrap! And the opacity of yo ur Alps decals isnice. I asked mck if he knew whe ther you printed them over a white layer or not. Sad hewasn't sure. Anyways
don't sell yoursef short on the quality of your A ps stuff. Its great!
Now if youre talkingabout a more traditiona scre en printing process forthe Waltrip decas I would favor that over Alps since they would be a bit more forgivingto work with and certainy more opaque, whch would be an issue for whte over red paint or any areas where the color changes underneath.
Some reminders: I still need to hear from anyone who might beable to gve me some info on Charotte a rea radio stations from the mid 80s that would broadcast the races.
Also I wil be postng newpics of the Atanta car ths comng weekend, and maybe the Charotte car. I have more stuff on its way to me but not sure when it wil get here.
Jerry
AlsoI am working on possbly a newprinting servic e. If tworks out good these decals wi not be Al p but a very high quality sheet.
Posted:Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:34 pm Post subject:
Helo everyone, Hope you all are enjoying your Labo r Day.
As promsed I have new pics to post. They are video captures so don't expect mracles but they do answ er some questions, raise new ones and mudde an ass umpton we all made.
So et'sget started:

This is the latest photo published by one of our members. If you reca I was looking for a pc of the Atlanta car at the time, and this was put up as that car. Unfortunately I think we all may havecome to an ncorrect assumption.
What we have n my opnion is the Charlotte car tak en during qualifying. The giveaway is the duct tape paced in the drver's side headlight we to cos e off the cooling duct intakes. The Pontac Motorsp orts decalwas replaced with the Made With Pride de cal for the race and its impossble to tel f the sponsor on the trunk was present
for qualfying or added later before the race.
Here's a video capture of the Charlotte car after Waltrip lost hs engine.
(Sorry its the best pic I coud get from a video th at wasn't that good n quality):

This is absolutely the best photo I could pul off the videoand its the only tme Mikey got detaied camera time while stting still.The coor version shows ther is defnatey something yeow or yellow -ish on the trunk deck. But does not answer what it might be. I've almost completely discarded the "Punchy" character for a number of
reasons one being that the coloration shown on the trunk of this car to my knowledge has never been associated wth "Punchy".Reds whites and blues yes.. ... but large areas of yellow..... no.
The next group of photos ARE from the Atanta race pease take note of the hood sponsor's logo.:

Let's ookat the last photo first. This s about t he best shot I coud get before Mkey got caught up n a wreck and smacked the wall on the back stretc h. Note the hood logo, I know its blobby and impossible to read but ookng at the overall shape and l ayout, I began to doubt it was Kroger Sav-on.
Sure enough n the top photos shown post-wreck ts something else. I don't recognze t and Im hopin g someone here does. The hood s twisted but mostly flat so you are seeing most of the graphcs. There s a ttle more that shows on the drivers side of the hood in another photo, but most of it s shown here.The top of the ogo
almost resembles the Kings Row ogo, but I'm not g oing to draw the conclusion that t s, and I've ne ver seen one that was all white.
So ths is the man reason why I thnk the very fir st photo is not the Atlanta car as we originaly th ought. I realy need help wth the graphcs on this hood if anyone recognizes it please let us know.
Lets move on to the rear of the Atlanta car:

Note the C-par. Are we all in agreement ths is the Majik Market logo? The bottom looks off-white or pae yellow, and the top "M" looks either a paste l purple or a bue that favors the purple side ot he spectrum. Anyone have a version ofthis logo the y can post?

In the last 4 photos we've had more success. Frst we soved the mystery of who the trunk sponsor was in Atlanta:

I think this is cose to inot the exact logo we a re lookng aton the trunk; minus the "Zoo Crew in the Morning". There may be a slight varation as th e top of the zero looks open on the car nstead of closed. Im waiting for possble confirmaton on th is detail.
There is a ot of info to be gleaned from these 4 p ics. Thestaggered "23" on the rght sde tail lgh t positon, the blue paint contnues around the bac kof the car just under the spoiler. The spoiler is red. "Hawaan Punch is definately on the back of the car. There appears to be a small yelow stripe of sorts centered at the bottom of the
bumper, and another queston is posed. Just under t he word "Hawaan" there appears to be two ght ar eas on top of the bumper. They only appear right there, not under the word "Punch". There is also a ght area on the extreme outboard edge of the bumper. My thoughts are this could be a scuff in the paint from when Mkey got
booted nto the wall....not sure, ts hard to te since it was a distant shot. The cameras were following the leaders and they didn't have the extensive camera coverage they do today.
Lastly if you look at the last photo you can see the remainder of the hood graphics hdden in the prev ious photos. Sorry best I could do there.
I have more footage comng of the Charlotte race. H opefully it will give better answers to the trunk area for that car. Don't know. There were tons of people wth cameras down in the pits and garage areas for both races, youd think some one would have sn apped a pic or two.
There you have what I have so far. Feel free to talk amongst yourselves.
Please pease we realy need help on the hood logo for the Atlantacar.
Wrack those memory banks I know someone has seen this ogo before....
Thanks.
Jerry
Posted:TueSep 062011 6:16 am Post subject:
Thanks. I just wish I could get somethng definitv e all at the same tme. Instead for every queston that gets answered I get two new ones to track down.
I realy hope someone sees the new stuff and steps up withan I.D. for the hood graphics. I have a fa rly reable source to query on the Atlanta car but n truth, I've shot most of the arrows in my quive r on that car.
As for Charotte, my hope s that the new video w show somethng. It is supposed to be a shorter v deo but of better qualty. After that, I'm running out ofarrows there too.
One theoryIm working on is that Dick Bahre Racing got another radio station to sponsor the trunk. Seems theyhad this thing gong at the time with oca radio statons for one-shot sponsorshps Atanta was Y-106, and Daytona 1986 was WELE in South Florida. Maybe they started the trend n Charotte...... . who knows? Anyway I'll
be playing wth the vid. captures and vewng the r acesagain trying to squeeze more info out of them. Keeping my fingers crossed for the new stuff.
Regards.
Jerry
A Posts Oldest Frst Go

NOTE: THE ORIGINAL THREAD CONTINUES BELOW. IN RESTORING IT, FOR SOME REASON IT WOULDN'T ALLOW ME TO CONTINUE EDITING BEYOND THIS POINT. SO SKIP DOWN A BIT

Last edited by 67 Fairlane on Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:09 pm; edited 13 times in total
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
Bill
tomasher52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it figured out that the logo on the C-Pillar was for the Convenient Food Mart chain?

http://www.cspdailynews.com/industry-news-analysis/top-convenience-stores/retailer/convenient-food-mart-2014
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasher52 wrote:
Was it figured out that the logo on the C-Pillar was for the Convenient Food Mart chain?

http://www.cspdailynews.com/industry-news-analysis/top-convenience-stores/retailer/convenient-food-mart-2014

Yes, on the 1986 Pontiac 2+2 it was the Convenient Food Mart logo.

Jerry
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[EDIT] THIS WAS REMOVED DUE TO DUPLICATE CONTENT WITH THE POST BELOW.

Last edited by 67 Fairlane on Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOTE: THE ORIGINAL THREAD CONTINUES FROM HERE...

Rob T

robber38
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:18 am Post subject:
I thought I would try to help out and I found this site. The photographer appears to be model related with IPMS so he may be sympathetic with modelers if he has any other photos.
Here's the link: http://www.carsandracingstuff.com/library/w/waltripmichael.php
The site has a lot of other cool photos including Late Model Sportsman photos form the mid 80's.
Rob
????????????????
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:56 am Post subject:
Rob T wrote:

I thought I would try to help out and I found this site.
Rob
Shadetree Modeler

Cool pics from Michigan with the Petty style numbers.
#88 Ernie Irvan 1995 Havoline Tbird
#28 Ernie Irvan 1997 Havoline Tbird
#31 Mom & Pop's Chevy Lumina Neil Bonnett Talladega 1993 (stalled)
"In His hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind." (Job 12:10)

'67 Fairlane
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:23 am Post subject:
Thanks Rob I'll check it out.
Jerry

john24
Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:40 pm Post subject:
y106fm is a radio station where i live in atlanta georgia. the zoo crew was the morning disc jockey rhubarb jones and crew.

robber38

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:18 am
Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:41 pm Post subject: #23 Hawaiian Punch
Hey Guys,
Here is the photo of Michael Waltrip's 1986-87 Hawaiian Punch Pontiac 2+2 with the Petty style number that was mentioned earlier. I think I'll be building this version in diecast
form. I hope you like the pic.

robber38
Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:50 pm Post subject: Cale Yarborough Hardee's
Hey Brandon,
Don't forget that a Great set of Cale Yarborough's 198-85 Hardee's Monte Carlo SS decals are needed. I hope you will be doing them after the Hawaiian Punch decals are done.
Also, a good set of Terry Labonte's 1984 Piedmont Airlines Monte Carlo decals are desired and possibly Joe Ruttman's 1984-85 Folger's Coffee decals would be nice to.
I just wanted to give you an idea of want might be sought after for modelers of cars fom the 1980's.
Take Care,
Robby

halfbreed999
Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:19 am Post subject:
bump:
Just helping Jerry out. Just keepin' it near the top of the stack. Do we have any new info on this yet?

'67 Fairlane

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:42 pm Post subject:
Thanks for the bump.....
No new info since my last post .
Right now my time has become limited, although I still try to advance the research at least one day a week.
Its common to hit these doldrums on tough subjects. You get a flurry of new info then it drops to nothing for a while..... just takes patience.
Eventually something will break.
We are very close to wrapping this up however. Just 2 major items need to be confirmed. !). The trunk logo on the Charlotte car (The original question has remained elusive
throughout this endeavor) and 2). Identity of the hood logo on the Atlanta car. Solve those 2 mysteries and Brandon will have enough to produce a definitive set of decals.
We've come quite a long way in this project, answering many questions, dispelling old assumptions and conjecture. Discovering new incarnations of both the 1985 and 1986 cars.
Solving mystery contingencies etc. Much to be proud of for all who have contributed. I'm just the guy putting all the info in one spot and occasionally offering some analysis.
Often the final hurdles in any investigation are the hardest to overcome. I know the answers are out there. Just a matter of patience and diligent effort. I'm not giving up on this
project and I still need lots of help from everyone.
Thanks.
Jerry

halfbreed999

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:20 pm Post subject:

Shadetree Modeler
Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:55 am Post subject:
Can't let this one float off the bottom of the page..............

Jim
On the bench:
#88 Ernie Irvan 1995 Havoline Tbird
#28 Ernie Irvan 1997 Havoline Tbird
#31 Mom & Pop's Chevy Lumina Neil Bonnett Talladega 1993 (stalled)

67 Fairlane
Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:00 am Post subject:
Thanks for the bump Jim!
This one won't go away...... I promise. Its just that all avenues toward answers have either dead-ended, or have become very difficult to traverse at this point.
Right now I also don't have as much time to devote to the research as I did, but I promise it will continue.
Thanks again to all who have contributed to this project thus far. It goes without saying that if anyone comes up with any leads do not hesitate to post them. No matter how
obscure.
Jerry

robber38
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:02 am Post subject: #23 Decals
Hope to see these Michael Waltrip Decals Soon.

Brandon Miller

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:11 pm Post subject:
I have just about everything I need to finish these so I'm hoping soon.

mopar93
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:15 pm Post subject:
A couple of years ago, the marketing department at Dr Pepper/SevenUp sent me a lot of authentic PostScript files of many of the logos they use. Hawaiian Punch and that Punchy
dude is in the collection.
Of course, some of it may be newer designs, but a lot of it hasn't changed over the years. I've got some PostScript files of Dr Pepper, SevenUp, Vernors, RC Cola, Minute Maid, A&W
Root Beer, Crush, Venom Energy, and many other brands that Dr Pepper handles.
As far as the Supermarkets and radio stations that were on Dick Bahre's cars that Mike drove, Hawaiian Punch would have had in their contract to promote one of the local
supermarket stores that carried the product near the track they were racing at. And the radio station deal would have been a trade to run ads for the supermarket in exchange for
being on the car.
I spent a whole week at Dick Bahre's shop in 1985 in between two races. He had his own engine builder and I don't remember for sure, but the Pontiac Motorsports decal on the
Chevy may have been because that might be when they were using heads made by Pontiac on the Chevy blocks.
If you need one of the PostScript files for one of your decal projects, let me know and I'll see what I have.
-Maurice

Brandon Miller
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:03 pm Post subject:
mopar93 wrote:
A couple of years ago, the marketing department at Dr Pepper/SevenUp sent me a lot of authentic PostScript files of many of the logos they use. Hawaiian Punch and that
Punchy dude is in the collection.
Of course, some of it may be newer designs, but a lot of it hasn't changed over the years. I've got some PostScript files of Dr Pepper, SevenUp, Vernors, RC Cola, Minute Maid,
A&W Root Beer, Crush, Venom Energy, and many other brands that Dr Pepper handles.
As far as the Supermarkets and radio stations that were on Dick Bahre's cars that Mike drove, Hawaiian Punch would have had in their contract to promote one of the local
supermarket stores that carried the product near the track they were racing at. And the radio station deal would have been a trade to run ads for the supermarket in exchange
for being on the car.
I spent a whole week at Dick Bahre's shop in 1985 in between two races. He had his own engine builder and I don't remember for sure, but the Pontiac Motorsports decal on
the Chevy may have been because that might be when they were using heads made by Pontiac on the Chevy blocks.
If you need one of the PostScript files for one of your decal projects, let me know and I'll see what I have.
-Maurice

Any of the files that could be used on this sheet would help.

mopar93
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:15 pm Post subject:
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:04 pm Post subject:
After looking at the files I have, I realize they are probably too modern. However, someone might have a use for something. I took each EPS file and converted them to JPG format
and pasted them all onto one image so you could see what I have.
Being in PostScript format, these can be scaled to any size, up or down, down to scale model decal size or even up to a large billboard size.
-Maurice

END OF ORIGINAL THREAD

Last edited by 67 Fairlane on Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
LilRedDave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found another Pontiac variation. Winn Dixie on the C pillar. Can's tell what is on the trunk lid. Laughing

Last edited by LilRedDave on Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LilRedDave wrote:
Found another Pontiac variation. Winn Dixie on the C pillar. Can's tell what is on the trunk lid. Laughing

I would speculate that there's a whole lot of "nothing" on the trunk/ TV panel! Laughing Laughing

Great photo BTW. The Winn Dixie logo on the C-pillar is a nice addition to the variety of contingency sponsors etc. for the '86 Pontiac. Also of note is the placement of the "23" car number above the passenger-side headlight recess. Normal location would be inside the recess.

Do you know what race this was from?

Thanks for posting!

Jerry
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOUND THIS:

This was contributed to the old thread by a member whose name I failed to record. Apologies. We're looking at a video capture of the '86 2+2 with a huge Majik Market logo on the hood. Does anyone know what race this is from and/ or does anyone have a better image? It would be nice to see what's on the C-pillar as well as other details.

Also would anyone have a copy of this version of the Majik Market logo? It would go a long way to creating a possible update to the current Lobo Graphix decal sheet.

My thanks to whom-ever submitted this. If you recognize this as yours, please chime-in.

Thanks!

Jerry
LilRedDave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Majik hood is from Talladega. Days Inn on hold to.
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOOK AT THAT!! WOW Buddy you just jumped to the head of my Christmas card list!!!

Great view of the Majik Market logo on the hood as well as the Days Inn logo. The C-pillar looks to have a duplicate in miniature of the MM logo & lo and behold Mikey got another radio station sponsorship!!

Can't thank you enough!

[EDIT]: Sometimes you get lucky... Right after commenting on the above photo I "googled" 96 Rock and came up with WKLS in Atlanta:

Can anyone dig up a better rendition of the 96 Rock logo actually shown on the C-pillar? Would like to know what it says below 96rock. The stuff I found on the facebook page give us some possibilities but it isn't clear what it actually says on the car. In their collection of memorabilia & photos, the most common phrase included with the logo is "Pure Rock n' Roll". However in looking at the new pic of the car and the spacing of the words with a hard gap in the middle, "Pure Rock n' Roll doesn't quite seem to fit. But we're closer than we were before.

This is great!

Jerry

Last edited by 67 Fairlane on Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
LilRedDave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw a stick in your wheel...last Riverside of '86. The Queen of Tarts.
CRANMAN1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's pics took before MWR shutdown.

67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LilRedDave & CRANMAN!

Wow you guys are great! Dave, another variation that I didn't know existed. I especially like the Petty-style "23" in the headlight well on the driver's side.

CRANMAN these are the best detail photos I've seen of the 2+2. Glad MWR preserved and restored the car and glad you were there to get those photos. I hope that whatever becomes of the MWR assets, that this and his other preserved rides don't end up rusting away in a field somewhere....

Keep digging please! You guys seem to have previously undiscovered resources. Thank you!

The original purpose of this thread was to dig up information and photos of Michael's 1985 Monte Carlo that wore this paint scheme and Hawaiian Punch sponsorship only twice that year. It has however morphed into a watershed of photos and info on his 1986/87 2+2 and has generated a decal sheet for that car by Lobo Graphix. My hope is that we can gather even more information and convince them to produce an update or an addendum to that existing sheet.

I continue searching for photos and information to solve the mystery of what logo was on the trunk lid of the '85 MC that ran at the Charlotte Miller High LIfe 500 (see the first few pics in this thread); and trying to decypher the logo on the hood of the MC Mikey ran at the Atlanta Journal 500 that same year. Those 2 items are the Holy Grail of this thread. If we get those, we can complete a decal sheet for the 1985 car. We are THAT close!

Thanks again guys!
scatpack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reposting. This stuff not only comes in handy for building models, but those fascinated by the history of the sport and/or those restoring and preserving old stock cars.
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scatpack. Glad you appreciate it.

My goal is to recover or recreate as many of the old threads that had modeling techniques and historical context as I can. In years past, I had downloaded those threads that held my interest and saved them to my computer, but the unfortunate thing is my archive doesn't amount to even 1% of what this board had before the crash.

Information is king when trying to build an historically accurate model. Information is also the catalyst for lively conversations and tutorials on our favorite subject. I can't tell you how much I have learned from our members since I joined back in 2007. This website had been THE powerhouse of racing knowledge before the crash. My hope is that we can achieve that status again.

Jerry
BAD4GOOD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Magiic Market pix Reply with quote

67 Fairlane wrote:
FOUND THIS:

This was contributed to the old thread by a member whose name I failed to record. Apologies. We're looking at a video capture of the '86 2+2 with a huge Majik Market logo on the hood. Does anyone know what race this is from and/ or does anyone have a better image? It would be nice to see what's on the C-pillar as well as other details.

Also would anyone have a copy of this version of the Majik Market logo? It would go a long way to creating a possible update to the current Lobo Graphix decal sheet.

My thanks to whom-ever submitted this. If you recognize this as yours, please chime-in.

Thanks!

Jerry

That was me Jerry.....I burned a copy of the race to dvd from a vcr,
and had Terry Marcum post it for me....
The hood logo can be found on slixx sheet for the 47 H/Punch Buick

Thanks for keepin' this subject alive..........Stan

And to Lil Red DAVE for the fantastic Update/clear pix of the car....
I Know That I'll Be
***** "BAD FOR GOOD" *****
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Magiic Market pix Reply with quote

BAD4GOOD wrote:
67 Fairlane wrote:
FOUND THIS:

Thanks!

Jerry

That was me Jerry.....I burned a copy of the race to dvd from a vcr,
and had Terry Marcum post it for me....

Thanks for keepin' this subject alive..........Stan

And to Lil Red DAVE for the fantastic Update/clear pix of the car....

My pleasure Stan. We started out trying to solve the mystery of Mike's '85 Monte Carlo SS and ended up greatly expanding our knowledge of his '86 2+2! Even generated a decal sheet! Not bad for what amounts to unintended consequences Laughing .

This thread owes everything to the board members who contributed and will contribute in the future. I'm still committed to finding and solving the 2 last remaining items on the '85 MCSS. So I repeat my request. Dig deep, look at every resource available to you even friends and acquaintances. Somebody somewhere knows what sponsor was on the trunk of the Charlotte car and on the hood of the Atlanta car.

Thanks to everyone.
Jerry
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Fairlane wrote:

If it's any help, this looks (mostly) like what you need:

I vividly remember that logo from way back when....

Jodie Peeler
BAD4GOOD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Magiic Market pix Reply with quote

BAD4GOOD wrote:

As I said before......in-case it was overlooked.....Stan
I Know That I'll Be
***** "BAD FOR GOOD" *****
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: