Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

That ever changing "Petty" blue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: That ever changing "Petty" blue Reply with quote

Finally decided to do this.

There's been a lot of discussion over the years about OLD Petty blue vs. NEW Petty blue. There is no "new" Petty blue.

As related to me by Kyle Petty himself, When Richard made that famous first batch, it was with white, and the dark appliance blue they used for some chassis components as well as the drop shadows. Richard immediately worked on a formula so the paint could become their trademark.

Kyle went on to ay the color is VERY susceptible to light changes. Natural light, cloudy days, indoor lights like incandescent vs. fluorescent. Other changes happened with different cameras, different shutter speeds and films.

So I present to you here, Several photos of the 1973 Dodge. Please note the locations of the cars, the background and lighting.

As you can see, they are all the same car from 1973. You can also see the major differences between them color wise.

If you ever buy some Basin street blue for your build, watch the guy mix it for a huge surprise! In the tinting process the paint has the dark blue and base white, along with green, yellow and believe it or not... black! It's an interesting process.

Anyway, I hope this puts to rest the argument over the ever changing... Petty blue.
WR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard said on Dale Jr's pod cast the colors and I remember one of them was refrigerator white, so there is a formula to it.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR wrote:
Richard said on Dale Jr's pod cast the colors and I remember one of them was refrigerator white, so there is a formula to it.
I'd heard that too. They used appliance blue (whatever that actually means) and refrigerator white. Never knew there was a specific shade, just for fridges. Laughing
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get a lot of variation from '70s photo reproductions, and aged photo prints from negative film and mediocre-quality offset printed reproductions are particularly inaccurate, not just for the blue but for rendering the flo red. Here's a not-bad recent scan from Petersen's archive. You acn see the flo-red's a bit splotchy-orange in the lower part, where the scanner was a bit confused. Looks like overcast sky in Feb '73.

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Film of that era could not pick up fluorescent paints, making it look like a standard color.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: