Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salvino Monte Carlo chassis swap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Salvino Monte Carlo chassis swap Reply with quote

I decided to try a monogram chassis under the Salvino Monte Carlo. I started by adding just under 3/16" to the chassis in front of the firewall. The roll cage is a tiny bit too high so I cut about 1/8"+ off of the sides of the cage where they attach to the chassis. I had to cut the cage away from the firewall sides to slide it back a little. Moved the halo bar back a little and made new a pillar posts for the roll cage.

The Monogram dash is too high. Made a new flat dash top out of sheet stock and filled the small gap at the top of the firewall. The chassis now fits really well under the body. The width is perfect and by narrowing the wheel track just a little the tires will fit under the fenders. I checked the tire diameter and it scales out to a tiny bit over 28", just right in my opinion.

I used the GM chassis because I have a bunch of them. I know it should probably be a ford, but I like the way its turned out so far. Going to fabricate the front chassis bars next.

Thanks for looking. Tom

hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks good the stance looks perfect IMHO and the changes you have done are actually minor. I do have a question for you because Salvinion's has done 6 Monte Carlos and if your like me you have them all with a couple of spares did you make any patterns for what you have done for the modifications so far?
Mack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you've nailed it. Keep the updates coming.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you got it just right.
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemiman, this is my first Monte Carlo. I have the frame dimension written down, no other real dimension necessary, pretty much trial and fit. I made a couple of simple mods to the front clip this weekend. My goal was to make simple changes that didnt require much rework. First I cut a small amount off of the bottom of each headlight pod, saving the bumper locating post. I took slightly less off the header panel where the grille fits so that I could finish with a sanding stick. The last thing was to separate the grille from the bumper. This allows the grille to fit flush with the header, while letting the bumper stay forward. I had to trim a little off of the inside of the bumper ends and the bottom of the fenders. I feel like the raised grille and bumper improves the overall look. This isnt the only way to modify it, just what I came up with. Thanks for looking. Tom

pdaly28

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work as always,Tom.I may start building again.....I like what salvino is doing with the modified kit.I also have one of his chevells.ya,it might be a monte!!!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really well done. Thanks to this, none of my Monte's will have the generic chassis.
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenders cut out and some color on the Monte Carlo.
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Finished pics in the showroom. Reply with quote

Finished pics in the showroom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: