Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Of Blue Lagoons and breathing underwater
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gks1964

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
Brief update. While reworking the forward "bumper" (what a laugh) on the S3, I of course began to notice little details. The upper grilles and transition pane were too low. By .35mm. Believe it or not, moving them up that third of a mm made a huge difference in how it looks! The lower grille, was not low enough so I'm dropping it almost the same amount. Then I fab an all new front bumper that's correct. I have yet to decide if the bumper should be part of the nose or separate. But of course... you just KNOW I'm leaning to separate. Wink

Separate!!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Separate!![/quote] Okay, easy! When I'm handled roughly I break out in a rash. Laughing
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I just... aaaargh! I'm researching the Laguna S3 rear bumpers and I, just... who's idea was THIS rear bumper?!! I want his name, I want his SS #!

I immediately flashed upon the original Salvinos Olds front bumper. Street, NASCAR, it doesn't matter that is the UGGliest bumper to car combo I've ever been disdained to witness, hands down! Laughing

I'm not disparaging the builder of this beautiful model by the way and he did get the rear bumper correct. But geez man... that bumper! I don't even want to do it now I mean, who would buy it? Is there any chance the teams ran the same bumpers both years?
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not implying that those 5mph bumpers were good looking, but in Chevrolets defense, I think the builder may have scaled the rear bumper a little on the large size. Tom
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:
I'm not implying that those 5mph bumpers were good looking, but in Chevrolets defense, I think the builder may have scaled the rear bumper a little on the large size. Tom
I really hope so. In retrospect I wish I'd used a real car photo.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little continuation of something I couldn't let go. Moved the upper grilles up .35mm. Lower grille about .60 to .65mm. I left a tiny ledge in front of the transition pane at the bottom of the grilles. I wanted to accentuate this area just a bit more. Smile Now for some cleanup and a new, correct bumper.

Firefly

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
...I have yet to decide if the bumper should be part of the nose or separate. But of course... you just KNOW I'm leaning to separate. Wink

I would lean to incorporating it. It's not a bumper, but a trim piece - rub strip with a chrome surround. And it is way more flush to the nose than the grotesquely chunky MPC piece. Making it a separate piece would be a fit & finish challenge.

Heres the 1:1 nosepiece without the trim/rub strip. The actual structural bumper is underneath:

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get what you're saying Firefly and I agree. In fact somewhere in this thread I think I put bumper in quotes because it really is more trim than anything else. The main reason I lean toward separate is just because it would be easier to plate as a separate part. As far as the fitment challenge of such a part, hey... that's muh thing. Smile Oh, and thank you for that photo. I see that what serves as the bottom ledge of the MPC bumper should actually be part of the nose peice.
gks1964

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good learning discussion. Thanks!
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking the Laguna, and this goes back to the '73 version, was the first American car to have a bumper 'cover,' a plastic molded shell covering a heavy brunt-bearing piece underneath. Quite ahead of the game.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
I'm thinking the Laguna, and this goes back to the '73 version, was the first American car to have a bumper 'cover,' a plastic molded shell covering a heavy brunt-bearing piece underneath. Quite ahead of the game.
Actually, I thought it was the '68 GTO.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
Firefly wrote:
Actually, I thought it was the '68 GTO.

The Endura bumper of the GTO was molded around a steel plate. It was a single piece.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: