Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Of Blue Lagoons and breathing underwater
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:41 am    Post subject: Of Blue Lagoons and breathing underwater Reply with quote

Ha! Made you look! I couldn't find my original posts about the Laguna S3. If you recall when last we visited I was thinking I had made my gill slits too large. After some judicious research (I put some lines on a picture)

But they helped me see, I didn't make them too large, the window on the kit was too small. In fact, with the swept border added, NOW it's too large.

Just a little... but I'm going to deal with that.

I may have the top slit just a hair small and I'll be honest they aren't exactly evenly spaced but where they're off it's literally microns. Now I get to make the other side... yaaaaay.

On the plus side, Abby let out a squeal when I sat down at the model bench. Either she's a fan of the Laguna, or the more plausible, she's a fan of me leaving her alone. Back with a matched set tomorrow night!

Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, that is some tiny work. Well done.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look good!
halfbreed999

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats some wonderful detail work. Are you going to have someone cast them when your completely done.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfbreed999 wrote:
Thats some wonderful detail work. Are you going to have someone cast them when your completely done.

Yeah... I got a guy. Wink
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
Geez, that is some tiny work. Well done.
Best part of macro cameras. I can see all the trash I left on the backside of the ribs. That will clean up nicely tho.
Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had a set, I'd likely file the fins down a bit to thin them, which would open up the spaces between.
I understand you probably don't want to cast very thin elements, though, as they might be too delicate.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
If I had a set, I'd likely file the fins down a bit to thin them, which would open up the spaces between.
I understand you probably don't want to cast very thin elements, though, as they might be too delicate.

That's the quandary I'm in right now. I can only mix a minimum 15cc of resin (7.5 each side) and still get it to cure in less than a day. I will clean them up and likely thin them a hair more. Most of what you're seeing there in-between them though, is bits of the paper backing I built them over.
I'll have a better looking set posted later tonight.

EDIT: I'm thinking I can get them thinner, if I make them part of a larger mold. I'll likely put them in with the other Malibu parts and make it a set. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth my time to produce and ship these out.

I'll also maybe run a brief giveaway here again for those of you who just want the gill slits.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep meaning to ask, while I'm working on this, are there any common gripes with the rest of the car? From what I gather most folks are happy overall except something about the roof?

I'm not doing a roof by the way! That would just be silly!
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were two gripes I had when I was building my Laguna a year or so back. One had to do with the window louvers and the location of the window they went over. You have addressed those issues here, and that will definitely help. (I faced the same issues you did with figuring out their size and location.)

The other issue I had - and I don't know of a way you could easily address it through any parts you might tool up - is that the windshield shape and fit in my Model King reissue was not good at all. I filled in the problem areas on my kit windshield and used it as a pattern to thermoform a new windshield.

I'm glad to see you doing this. I am definitely in for at least one set of window louvers when you have them ready.

Jodie Peeler
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
I keep meaning to ask, while I'm working on this, are there any common gripes with the rest of the car? From what I gather most folks are happy overall except something about the roof?

I'm not doing a roof by the way! That would just be silly!

The MPC body was generally pretty accurate.

My gripe is with the bulky front bumper rub strip, which in my opinion should have been molded into the bumper/nose. Compare any 1:1 Laguna to a pic of a built kit and you'll see.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I thinned them down a bit more the ribs don't seem as thick now. Wink

I need to file and polish those leading edges and I think we have something.

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now here I sit with parts from the MPC Yarborough Chevy. I wanted to preserve the original parts and work from copy casts of that.

Sadly, after cleaning and separating the parts I needed it was painfully obvious these parts have been painted and stripped, possibly assembled, more than twice.

Several details have gone missing under the strain. Either that or they've simply lost weight... good for them!

Bottom line is, these parts will never be original again and as I was told to do what I needed to do, I'm formulating a plan. (This is the part where I ask you guys to chime in)

What I'm thinking is: NOSE CLIP, raise the headlight covers to near flush, same with grille, new grille, replace/add missing rivet and bolt details.

REAR BUMPER, reduce to proper width, i.e. match the fender width (MAN did they mess that one up!), replace bumper shields and rivets, replace any missing details.

LIGHT PANEL, definitely need a little input here. One side of me says, make a solid piece that goes straight across the center of the spoiler track, cut it off square across the deck lid, glue the new piece on, use the spoiler to hide the bulk of the seam.

I'm adding an extra panel with the larger, rectanglish covers as well.

My evil twin says, make the tail light pods and connecting panel because other's are as weird as you are and will enjoy reshaping the deck lid. In other word, the more plastic you can leave on, the better.

Show of hands?
Mack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carry on. I'm in favor of whatever you do.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:

REAR BUMPER, reduce to proper width, i.e. match the fender width (MAN did they mess that one up!), replace bumper shields and rivets, replace any missing details.

Using the Yarborough MPC bumper as the original?
Someone on FB brought this up, and I suggested sectioning on each end about a scale Foot or maybe 10" from the outside, as the actual sectioning was done just inside the bumper mounts. (Was that you by any chance?)
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

Using the Yarborough MPC bumper as the original?
Someone on FB brought this up, and I suggested sectioning on each end about a scale Foot or maybe 10" from the outside, as the actual sectioning was done just inside the bumper mounts. (Was that you by any chance?)

That was not me. However...

Looking at the bumper photos (few though they are!) it looks as though short track cars had mostly stock bumpers, while the speedway cars had speed cuts and covered license plate sockets.

As for the width, If I can pull this off, when I'm done only a small bit of sanding to the shields on the S3 will mate the bumper to the body. As usual, I'm making it into a stock bumper with the plate divot, but also with the speed cuts. Short track build? Fill the speed cuts. Speedway car? Add the license plate cover.

I've already started shaping the light panel and should have some pics later this evening.

The nose is being left for last as I'm going to need some I.D. help. AS I UNDERSTAND IT... The large quarter window cars are 1973, the smaller window is '74 and up yes?

So... focusing on the '73 Chevelle/Malibu, I need good reference photos from as many of you as have them of the noses that ran. Yo get the details right I need to compare. I want this kit to have as many options as possible.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
Carry on. I'm in favor of whatever you do.
You're too easy Mack. Smile
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct on the quarter windows. Do you have the AMT 73 nose and tail to work with??

Tom
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:
Correct on the quarter windows. Do you have the AMT 73 nose and tail to work with??

Tom
I have it but, I've been working with the MPC kit.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had poured a quickee mold that didn't need to be potted so, in a fit of inspiration, I stuck the Chevelle's bottom in the top of the silicone pour.

This gave me a temporary mold for the light panel. I'll use it as a buck only to build a nicer one over.

Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy that looks nice already! I'm in for one a set of those 73 parts!!

Tom
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note the vertical cut marks on Lenny's '73 Malibu. I had commented that it might not be advisable to take a section out of the license plate area, since that area's contour at the top needs to nest into the bodywork above it.

Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most '73 Chevys went with the chrome bumper front. This is how the Kar-Kare Malibu actually raced.

Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kar-Kare rear. Interesting logo placements.

Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good closeup here. Benny Parsons' challenge for the '73 GN Champ title is getting buffed out at right.

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
Most '73 Chevys went with the chrome bumper front. This is how the Kar-Kare Malibu actually raced.
Okay, deep into the rear bumper at this point, light panel is almost where I want it. I'm starting to think about the nose now so, how many noses were run, in 1973? This one above will make a nice reference but, did anyone run a neoprene Malibu nose? Was there another style of bumper? Or am I safe to start cutting?
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. FIREFLY, I didn't answer you earlier about the bumper because I wasn't sure if you were trying to confuse me or, if I had tried to confuse you and was successful.

I will make the speed cuts in the proper place, no worries. What I meant about the license plate area was, I'll open that up, build in the plate socket and make the riveted cover a separate part. Wink
Firefly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
P.S. FIREFLY, I didn't answer you earlier about the bumper because I wasn't sure if you were trying to confuse me or, if I had tried to confuse you and was successful.

I will make the speed cuts in the proper place, no worries. What I meant about the license plate area was, I'll open that up, build in the plate socket and make the riveted cover a separate part. Wink

Gotcha. I'm putting the blame for confusion on that Facebook guy.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

Gotcha. I'm putting the blame for confusion on that Facebook guy.

I know, right?! Who does he think he is!? Wink
Firefly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:

Okay, deep into the rear bumper at this point, light panel is almost where I want it. I'm starting to think about the nose now so, how many noses were run, in 1973? This one above will make a nice reference but, did anyone run a neoprene Malibu nose? Was there another style of bumper? Or am I safe to start cutting?

The only '73 Lagunas (neoprene nose) I have seen evidence of were a few Western team cars, and I think Dave Sisco ran one, but no major names or teams. There are a couple of pictures of the Yarborough Kar-Kare Laguna but it never ran with the neoprene nose.

That said, the Laguna neoprene nose was way more common on the '74-bodied Malibus.

The nose, with a screened center grille, is identical for both '73 and '74 models. The difference between the two years is the shape of the courtesy lamps, round in '73, square for '74. Hidden behind the screen.

Some smoothed over the rub strip area, some left the rivets, some raced with the rubber strip in place. You could leave that as is.

The neoprene, and the chrome front, as on the Kar Kare shot, are the only two I know of for a '73 Malibu. Others please chime in.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One nose for the '73, same '73 nose good for '74 as well, got it! That's good nose... news.

Rear bumper and light panel roughed in. I'm very happy so far.

Firefly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good.

When you get around to the '74 conversions, you may want to take a crack at the Chrome Malibu front, a bit different from the '73!

The only other additions might be a chrome nose for '75, '76, and '77 models, each slightly different.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
Looking good.

When you get around to the '74 conversions, you may want to take a crack at the Chrome Malibu front, a bit different from the '73!

The only other additions might be a chrome nose for '75, '76, and '77 models, each slightly different.
In all honesty, I'm not sure how far I'm going with these particular cars. The '74 version, although not awesome, is still fairly available and the focus of this has been to get a '73 version available along with some spiffy gill slits for the S3.
I will likely come back to these for other years but after this set is doene I really want to get back on the Monte Carlo's. When those three sets are done I'll come back to this for more years.

I love filling in the smaller gaps but, I also have to look at what's needed more than just wanted and right now both categories involve mostly Salvinos cars.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question, since I'm getting bogged down in google's disinformation...

Regarding the S3 (shark nose) version as is the MPC kit.

1. WHICH years was this car produced? My info says 1974 to 1976 only.

2. Was there ANY discernible difference between the nose clips?

3. Tail lights. How many styles tail lights were on these?

As always, thank you in advance.
Firefly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:

1. The 'S3' addition to the name can confuse things. It started with the 2-door-only '74 model, which had the same nose as the '73. So, the revised '75-'76 'shark nose' continued the name.

2. No difference between '75 and '76 nose.

3. The MPC (Pepsi) model is a '75, with tail-light panel perpendicular to the ground. The '76 tail-light panel sloped at the angle of the upper part of the rear. Actual shapes of the tail light lenses were a bit different, but the teams covered most of that area anyway.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

1. The 'S3' addition to the name can confuse things. It started with the 2-door-only '74 model, which had the same nose as the '73. So, the revised '75-'76 'shark nose' continued the name.

2. No difference between '75 and '76 nose.

3. The MPC (Pepsi) model is a '75, with tail-light panel perpendicular to the ground. The '76 tail-light panel sloped at the angle of the upper part of the rear. Actual shapes of the tail light lenses were a bit different, but the teams covered most of that area anyway.
Making sure I'm reading you right. The "Shark Nose" was 1975/76 only. 1975 had the oddly shaped, semi rectangular tail lights, 1976 had the flat, rectangles. Tail lights are the only difference between the two, correct?
halfbreed999

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne Dean Milo did a conversion and an article how to many years ago. I will look and try to find the model book it has in it for you so you know.
Firefly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:

Making sure I'm reading you right. The "Shark Nose" was 1975/76 only. 1975 had the oddly shaped, semi rectangular tail lights, 1976 had the flat, rectangles. Tail lights are the only difference between the two, correct?

I put this together as a quick visual reference for S3 front/rear:

Disregard the Hawaiian Tropic graphics on the '74 rear shot. Not sure why it's on that reproduction since as far as I know a '74 never ran in that scheme.

The '74 model included the bumper guards up front, probably to satisfy the government bumper requirements for '74. No race car had them in place.

Also note the very squared off rear bumper on the '76.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT, is extremely helpful!

I have a LOAD of orders to get out today. Hopefully later tonight I can start on the 1973 nose.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, my day has gone sideways! While I wait for an emergency mold to cure, I'm going to get a start on the nose clip.

Studying photo after photo, I've noticed the clip on the Chevelle, is shallower front to back looking at the headlight and header panel profile.

I'll start with a couple of resin copies of the original S3 nose from the kit. For the panel it's a simple matter of removing the grille area, building the face of the nose panel and taking about 2" off the backside perimeter.

The bumper will be from the resin copy as well with additions to make it the metal bumper.

Because of these photos I've figured out why there was mention of two differing bumpers. A couple drivers, mainly Benny Parsons, used Monte Carlo bumpers.

Tom Birky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a header panel, bumper and grille from the AMT 73 that is already a decent fit on the MPC if you want to use them. The front of the AMT Chevelle looks good, just the wheel wells and greenhouse are kind of weird.

Tom
Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:
I have a header panel, bumper and grille from the AMT 73 that is already a decent fit on the MPC if you want to use them. The front of the AMT Chevelle looks good, just the wheel wells and greenhouse are kind of weird.

Tom

I have to agree that the AMT kit should be studied for the front nose parts, as they got it right, as Tom says. The chrome bumpers in that kit are a bit heavy-handed, though.

Last edited by Firefly on Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:

Studying photo after photo, I've noticed the clip on the Chevelle, is shallower front to back looking at the headlight and header panel profile.

Because of these photos I've figured out why there was mention of two differing bumpers. A couple drivers, mainly Benny Parsons, used Monte Carlo bumpers.

The steel headlight/header panel of the Chevelle/Malibu is shallower. The plastic Laguna nose comes out to unite with the bumper section. The Chevelle chrome bumper seems to jut out more, but in fact the front of both Chevelle and Laguna bumpers are about the same distance from the front edge of the hood and fenders.

DON"T use that funkily reproduced Benny car as reference...No '73 racer had a Monte bumper.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to worry my friend. My focus cars are actual race shots (mostly provided by you, thank you) of Bobby Allison and Cale Yarborough's cars.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My focus right now, is this faux grille section under the lights.

On a stock vehicle there is two and a half rows or 2.5 inches high. As you can see, most drivers raised their front bumper at least one row. I'm digging through boxes right now looking for a suitable part but, I have a sinking feeling I have to scratch these out. They look daunting in this scale but, really should be quite easy if time consuming. I'll be back later with an update on the nose work.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some sneek peekage at the roughed in front clip.

Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief that's amazing. I wish I had a fraction of your talent!

Tom
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
I have a sinking feeling I have to scratch these out.

Maybe a piece of screening at that guage...?
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:
I have a sinking feeling I have to scratch these out.

Maybe a piece of screening at that guage...?
THAT, is an einuch idea I hadn't considered! Thank you. Imma look into it now.

On a happier note yet, I just pored a test mold for the S3 louvres. Won't be ready until tomorrow. I know it's a long time to keep your fingers crossed but...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: