Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1992 Ward Burton Gwaltney Buick (Rockingham Win Version)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hitman51

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: 1992 Ward Burton Gwaltney Buick (Rockingham Win Version) Reply with quote

Kind of an obscure build. Painstakingly copied the contingency layout (about 95% accurate) from the actual car. Trying out a new printer for decals and very happy with the results. I think one more pass of just the white parts will be about perfect.

Shunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen this one before, good start.
BadDad5

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I ask what printer?
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double the decals and they will be perfect....
KDM_Racing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love seeing those Buicks
Hitman51

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadDad5 wrote:
May I ask what printer?

HP Laser Jet Pro M254DW
Hitman51

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up doubling the white. The white really pops on this car and couldnt be happier with the result. first test with the new printer and i feel it was a great purchase.

Car is getting clear coat now while its somewhat warm out.

HurricaneDave3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember this one, great job and build!!!
Richmond purple Uno Buick (done)
Andretti Carfax Impala
LePage Patron Charger
Green Timberwolf Monte
150+ other NASCAR kits
Firefly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White decal paper? If so, hats off to a great trimming job!!
Nice model!
Hitman51

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
Nice model!

It’s the ghost white ink on clear paper.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitman51 wrote:
Firefly wrote:
Nice model!

Glad to see someone using this setup. Could you explain in more detail your process and do you have some finished sheets to show us.
Hitman51

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
Nice model!

Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ghost white toner and printer just arrived last over the weekend. It will be a few weeks before I start playing with it. I would be curious about any software settings you may have changed on the printer.

Also, have you been switching the black/white toners in and out? Any issues with that?

Did you print the the blue drop shadow on the 27 on the same pass with the white or was that a separate print?
Hitman51

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
My ghost white toner and printer just arrived last over the weekend. It will be a few weeks before I start playing with it. I would be curious about any software settings you may have changed on the printer.

Also, have you been switching the black/white toners in and out? Any issues with that?

Did you print the the blue drop shadow on the 27 on the same pass with the white or was that a separate print?

So i use a combo of adobe illustrator and paint.net for all my graphics. Eventually i will move to illustrator for all of it.

Here is a few take aways from initial testing from mine as well as a friend that has the same setup.

- you will need to test if you want to print color over the white on the second pass. i found that while its close, you still get that thin white edge where it doesn't quite line up right. you can play with moving your artwork or removing pixels from the "underlay" layer to help with this.
-For me i prefer to print my underlay on one half of the paper then my color layers on the 2nd half of the sheet. its more work but i think the overall finished product looks better.

- it takes roughly 20 seconds to switch out the ink cartridge and about a minute for it to re calibrate between prints. in the grand scheme of things, for those that have ALPS, is fast compared to them with the multiple prints per color.

- The higher the resolution you do your artwork in the better. Im working on about 600-1200 dpi depending on the car.

-Hopefully this helps, i found the printer online for $218 and the ink from micro mark for $350 with a coupon. Considering i spent $200 more than that for my ALPS, i think its definitely worth the investment.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitman51 wrote:
Dennis O wrote:

So i use a combo of adobe illustrator and paint.net for all my graphics. Eventually i will move to illustrator for all of it.

Here is a few take aways from initial testing from mine as well as a friend that has the same setup.

- you will need to test if you want to print color over the white on the second pass. i found that while its close, you still get that thin white edge where it doesn't quite line up right. you can play with moving your artwork or removing pixels from the "underlay" layer to help with this.
-For me i prefer to print my underlay on one half of the paper then my color layers on the 2nd half of the sheet. its more work but i think the overall finished product looks better.

- it takes roughly 20 seconds to switch out the ink cartridge and about a minute for it to re calibrate between prints. in the grand scheme of things, for those that have ALPS, is fast compared to them with the multiple prints per color.

- The higher the resolution you do your artwork in the better. Im working on about 600-1200 dpi depending on the car.

-Hopefully this helps, i found the printer online for $218 and the ink from micro mark for $350 with a coupon. Considering i spent $200 more than that for my ALPS, i think its definitely worth the investment.

Thanks for the explanation of your process. So let me get this straight. you print white overlay sheet then you change toner and print the color sheet. You don't actually print the color right on top of the white because of the alignment issues? If you could . Would you post some of your finished sheets before you intend to use them. Thank you.
Hitman51

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Hitman51 wrote:
Dennis O wrote:

Thanks for the explanation of your process. So let me get this straight. you print white overlay sheet then you change toner and print the color sheet. You don't actually print the color right on top of the white because of the alignment issues? If you could . Would you post some of your finished sheets before you intend to use them. Thank you.

Correct. I havent tested enough to feel comfortable using the decals printed over the white, so i just go the underlay method. hopefully this picture i took a week ago helps. not the best lighting. can post more when i get home. the white looks washed out in the pic but is more opaque than the pic.

MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. that looks awesome. So you recommend using two white overlays on a dark car?
Hitman51

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finished it up. will add a little race markings to it this weekend. got the glass in and body on.

Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm excited to get my printer going after seeing your results!!!
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, That looks Awesome. Those decals look positively beautiful, and the build itself is super clean, and flawless from my view point. Thank you for sharing with us your experience with the new laser printer, and ghost white cartridge. It's the answer to every modeler, who wants to make their own decals, no matter how obscure the car is, that no professional decal maker would be able to invest that much time in, and make money on, because the demand would not allow it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: