Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salvino's 1981 Daytona winner, Petty Regal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Salvino's 1981 Daytona winner, Petty Regal. Reply with quote

Got mine in today, and after a quick dry fit, let me lay all your fears to rest about the windshield. IT SUCKS!

Just kidding. The new unit fits much nicer than the original and nicely snug. You might even want to sand the outer edges gently.

The new tires are real beauties and should make a lot of guys happy.

The "Real chrome" Evil or Very Mad tree will again be a pain. Real chrome has it's place guys, but it just isn't practical on a STYRENE MODEL!

The rest of the kit is what you remember from Monogram. Sorry I don't have pictures but, unless somebody beats me to it I'll try to post some later this evening.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish they would offer kits with NO PLATING....save a buck and better for us fringe modelers......
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Wish they would offer kits with NO PLATING....save a buck and better for us fringe modelers......
I've been at them about their chrome since the 442. I've explained the dislike for it I don't know how many ways. They just won't let it go because somehow they think it's doing the modelers a favor and it is NOT.

I would be fine with it if they did two things. FIRST: The part needs to be absolutely... perfect! No room or need for improvement beyond detail washes. Secondly, a secure mounting for them. GLUE... DOES NOT WORK... ON METAL PLATING!!

Rant ends.
Lionpride

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
DaveVan wrote:
I've been at them about their chrome since the 442. I've explained the dislike for it I don't know how many ways. They just won't let it go because somehow they think it's doing the modelers a favor and it is NOT.

Yes to this!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of posting pics of the entire kit, I'll post the pertinent parts. Believe me, if you've ever built one of these through the Monogram flag, you'll recognize it.

Side A

Side B

And honestly, for you diorama guys, you can't do much better than to pick up a little Ralphie. Excellent detail.

Lil Ralphie sold separately. Smile
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only now do I realize... the checkerboard was a bad idea.
joe b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
DaveVan wrote:

I would be fine with it if they did two things. FIRST: The part needs to be absolutely... perfect! No room or need for improvement beyond detail washes. Secondly, a secure mounting for them. GLUE... DOES NOT WORK... ON METAL PLATING!!

Rant ends.

adam give us the e-mail add if you have it so we all can get on them about the chrome. i had thought you had convinced them how bad it is but if we all complain it may sway them. i at the very least want to voice my objection to them.

joe
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be a solution coming.....hang on.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Joe... he just made another Facebook post about how you can pick them up with a magnet soo, I don't know but, here's the info:

salvinosjrmodels@gmail.com

Phone: 877-244-4306
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... anyone besides me take the plunge yet? Let them know how much we hate the chrome?
kurth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kit arrived yesterday. It is a shame about the chrome, it is very nice, but on the regal, the only parts that you could argue should be plated are the bumpers. On mine the rear bumper has sink marks so even if I wanted a plated bumper, I would have to strip the chrome any way to address the sink marks.

Do most people who buy these kits want the chrome? I have no idea.

Last edited by kurth on Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurth wrote:
My kit arrived yesterday. It is a shame about the chrome, it is very nice, but on the regal, the only parts that you could argue should be plated are the bumpers. On mine the tear bumper has sink marks so even if I wanted a plated bumper, I would have to strip the chrome any way to address the sink marks.

Do most people who buy these kits want the chrome? I have no idea.
Yes and no. Although nobody has officially asked for this chrome I see it this way. One faction wants workable, strippable chrome, and the other faction, just doesn't care. Sad
WR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the chrome at all.
67chevelle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Salvino Kits Reply with quote

OK model builders, here is my 2 cents on this kit. #1 its a new kit, and no its not perfect but its a model kit in nascar. #2 we as model builders and fix or correct the problems with any plastic kit out there. #3 So what if the chrome is to shinny or not perfect just be thankful that someone out there has taken there time effort and money to bring us a nascar model kit. As I see it there are not many more company's out there willing to do this. So with my 2 cents said enjoy the kit build it any way you see fit, if there is a problem that you see or don't like fix it, ITS PLASTIC. Again I myself having been model building for over 50 years if it broke I fix it, if it does not fit I make it fit, that is the joy of model building you can do whatever you like, please enjoy this kit and hope that there is more of them to come. Thanks Jeff Marsh.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 points. #1 it is not a new kit. It is the Monogram kit with new windows and tires. #2 You mention that we as modelers modify, repair etc. models all the time. The whole point is, you can't do any of that with this chrome. So, the people who AREN'T satisfied with it... are screwed. We have to find an older kit and we're back to scavenging again.
This is not against the people who ARE satisfied with it, merely support for those of us who aren't.

P.S. It's an unnecessary extra expense that is $ that could go towards something else.
spooker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had any problems dealing with unwanted chrome in a model, just another messy, time-consuming step to strip it. However, when your chrome is virtually bullet-proof, I don't want to be stuck with it! Has anyone made any progress in a method to deal with this "chrome"?

Brian
WR

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why you would want to strip it in the first place if you want to dull it down just paint over it.
Bill J

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason to strip is that many parts on the chrome tree should not be chrome. Usually the wheels are painted, the carb, alternator, valve covers, oil pan should all be something other than chrome.
Some parts can be dulled, some painted over the chrome perhaps but the modeler's usual preference would be to strip the chrome before painting.

My solution is to buy any old Monogram version kit at a swap meet and pay a lot less for it besides. It is easy to strip the old Monogram chrome.
spooker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR wrote:
I don't understand why you would want to strip it in the first place if you want to dull it down just paint over it.

Main reason to strip before painting is that paint doesn't adhere well to chrome plating, 2nd reason is that a lot of chrome is either rough or dust filled. I understand that a lot of modelers just want a decent looking shelf model, that's fine. But I know my 1:1 race car has probably 100 or more aluminum, stainless and plated or anodized parts on it and among them there are probably 50 different "finishes". When I build a model I try to replicate as many of these "finishes" as I can, it just looks more "real" to me than all chrome. To each his own, and all that, but putting indestructible chrome on model parts kind of ties my hands. Chrome plating is fine, and the industry standard, but why not stick with what has been acceptable to both OOB builders and super-detailers for years & years just to be able to be different? If I can't strip it, I won't buy it, simple as that. I have exactly one Salvino's kit and won't buy any more until they change their chrome. I like the subjects, right up my alley, but they are not worth the price to me if I can't build them the way I like.

Brian
jokar124

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried muriatic acid yet to strip the Salvino's chrome? You have to be careful with that stuff and it might take a long time, but I think it should work.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just glad to have the kits.........
kurth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jokar124 wrote:
Has anyone tried muriatic acid yet to strip the Salvino's chrome? You have to be careful with that stuff and it might take a long time, but I think it should work.

I plan to try this. I put a piece of sprue from the chrome tree in Purple power two weeks ago and it has not had any effect on the chrome.

I read in another group that Muriatic acid should work for this kind of chrome. I just want to read about safe use of Muriatic acid and ensure I have the proper personal protective equipment, and a suitable container before trying.
Jim N

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
I'm just glad to have the kits.........

Agreed.
KDM_Racing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just snapped my windshield in half. It wasn't fitting just right. Almost like it wasn't curved enough. I grabbed another one from a mountain dew kit I had sitting next to me and that fit just perfect. So just be careful.
kurth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurth wrote:
jokar124 wrote:

I plan to try this. I put a piece of sprue from the chrome tree in Purple power two weeks ago and it has not had any effect on the chrome.

I read in another group that Muriatic acid should work for this kind of chrome. I just want to read about safe use of Muriatic acid and ensure I have the proper personal protective equipment, and a suitable container before trying.

I bought a jug of muriatic acid from Lowes. I put a piece of the chrome sprue in the acid in a plastic container, and the metal seemed to initially react with the acid, bubbles formed on the plated surface, but 1 hour later the plating is still there, but just a little tarnished. I will leave it out there and see what happens.

If you do try this, besure to use personal protective equipment. I wore chemical handling gloves, safety goggles and an apron. and use this stuff outside.
kurth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the piece of sprue in the muriatic acid on friday afternoon. It is now Monday afternoon, and the chrome is still on the part, seems like no change since the initial reaction. The chrome perisists, and is just slightly tarnished.

At this point, I am out of ideas. I thought this would work since the acid attacks metal but not plastic. I do not remember enough chemistry to think up anything else.

The chrome plating is pretty thin, so I think I can carefully paint over the chrome. I think Mr. Surfacing primer 1500 from Mr. Hobby would be a good primer to try. Maybe if we ask nicely they can offer unchromed shots of the sprue.
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried Easy-Off Oven Cleaner I have used it for years but have not tried it on Salvino's chrome yet. It has worked perfectly on everything else over the years, spray in on wait 1-2 hours at least then clean it off. Just use in a well ventilated area and use rubber gloves when handling the parts with the cleaner on it..
kurth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemiman_1999 wrote:
Has anyone tried Easy-Off Oven Cleaner I have used it for years but have not tried it on Salvino's chrome yet. It has worked perfectly on everything else over the years, spray in on wait 1-2 hours at least then clean it off. Just use in a well ventilated area and use rubber gloves when handling the parts with the cleaner on it..

I have not, but I do not think it will work. My understanding is that Oven cleaner and Purple degreaser have the same active ingredient, which is sodium hydroxide. So if Purple degreaser does effect the chrome at all, I do not think oven cleaner will either. However, in the interest of science will try it.

I looked into this a little bit more and I think Salvino JR is using electro plating, rather than the typical vacuum deposition plating which is used commonly on plastic models.

If my understanding is correct, this is the same process used for things like badges on automobiles. A little more digging showed the only practical way to remove the chrome was to use a plating machine and even harsher chemicals. I will need to focus my efforts on seeing if there is a way to paint over this plating.

I am very pleased to have these re-issues, and for the new tool kits Salvino has made. They have stepped up and taken a huge risk to make NASCAR models. My discussion of the plating is not a complaint, or critical of Salvino, I am simply documenting my experiments so no one else has to waste time and money trying to accomplish the same goal.
kurth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to check this experiment today, and I found the plastic was bare, and some black gunk floating in the acid. Presumably this is what remains of the metal.

The plastic part seems unharmed.

So Muriatic acid will work given sufficient time. The temperature has varied in the past few weeks, and I am inclined to think the warmer the ambient temperature, the better it will work. If you try muriatic acid, do so at your own risk.

I can not emphasize strongly enough the need for personal protective equipment. I would not handle this stuff without acid resistant gloves, eye protection, and some kind of apron . the acid is corrosive so do not use it near any metal you want to preserve. And it is probably best to use the Acid outdoors.

If you try muriatic acid, do so at your own risk.

That being said, maybe the conventional methods will work as well, given enough time.

If you try Muriatic acid use safety equipment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: