Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Lighting for Model Bench Suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BW

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: New Lighting for Model Bench Suggestions Reply with quote

Hi all! I'm in the market for new lighting for my model bench and I'm open to any suggestions. One requirement for me is that I would like a light that clamps to the side of my bench allowing more room on my desktop without a clunky base getting in the way. I also prefer the brightest light I can find. A good customer service and support department is also another important factor.

Any light I need to avoid? Again, I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks!
Bobby

PS: I have a couple new builds I recently finished that I'll be posting as soon as I finish revamping my model bench.
Lionpride

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move your bench out in that beautiful Alabama sunshine!
Don
gthicks

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought two led shop lights from Walmart and hung them over my desk and paint booth. Man did it make a difference . They were sixteen dollars each.
Sundance

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: This is what I have Reply with quote

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tensor-37-4-in-White-Swing-Arm-Desk-Lamp-with-Metal-Clamp-17347-008/303390881?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CB%7CBase%7CD27L%7CMulti%7CNA%7CPLA%7CInteriorLighting%7c71700000038718431%7c58700004243614128%7c92700035280812222&msclkid=cb8c0bd5a13e148f5cda5709a53840b3&gclid=COKLs-nCneICFYKSxQIdPrsGeg&gclsrc=ds[/

I bought the brightest led bulb I could get to put in it.

Without knowing your setup, it's kind of hard to suggest things. I put 2 of these on my ceiling in my workshop. One is directly above my workbench. When my brother in law installed it, he asked if I had to notify the airport to tell them I turned on landing lights. They are bright.

https://www.menards.com/main/lighting-ceiling-fans/indoor-lighting/work-shop-lights/lighting-ceiling-fans/indoor-lighting/work-shop-lights/lighting-ceiling-fans/indoor-lighting/work-shop-lights/patriot-lighting-reg-4600-lumens-49-x-12-led-wrap-light/v1703/p-1491978000943-c-1472133557086.htm?tid=4951745204377047284&ipos=19
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Sundance's 1st choice from Home Depot. I have the predecessor version -- a Drafting Table Lamp. it clamps to the side of the table, with infinite adjustment thanks to the springs and thumb screw tighteners.
Like Sundance, I also have an overhead light in my work area, though mine is a 2 foot fluorescent tube type fixture. Both lights work off of a common power strip.
Lee "Spud" Lo

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionpride wrote:
Move your bench out in that beautiful Alabama sunshine!
Don

Being from Alabama, I would not advise this as plastic tends to melt in extreme heat and it is about as hot as the devils oven.
BW

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions! After extensive research I went with a Daylight 3 Bulb LED from Home Depot. This light was highly recommended on several modeling forums and websites.
[img]

Got it set up and it works perfectly. Lots of bright light. No shadows. A little on the blue tint side but I've already got used to it. I can always change the bulbs out to a warmer white if I ever feel I need to. Hey lionpride, I could model outside in the nice Alabama blue sky but like Lee said, The 95+ temps we've had recently would not only melt the plastic but also the modeler! Laughing Not to mention the suffocating humidity. Here in Alabama, we don't measure the humidity by % but by how many times we have to change clothes and take showers per day! Laughing

Sweet home Alabama, where the skies are so blue!

Happy modeling!
Bobby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: