Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dover trophy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john843

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Dover trophy Reply with quote

Does anyone know how the Dover trophy with the winning car model in Miles the Monster's hand is done? Is it a somewhat generic diecast of the winner's car or more of an accurate replica depicting the car that day? Seems like I heard something about it a little while back but can't remember. I'd like to think that there's some modeling involved but don't know.

John
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past the car in Miles hand was the winners car. Yesterday it was a #01 car and I never saw what make it was. They may have gone to having one Ford, Chevy and Toyota on hand, each generic #01.....for first place. Pretty sure it's a die cast. When I was in the Lionel store in Concord last week they had decent die cast of all three makes in the $20 range for the simple versions.
scooter64

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been looking for this article that talks about the cars for the winners trophy...

i swear it was about one guy...whos job was to create accurate representations of all the cars running for the upcoming race...

that way...no matter who won...they had joe schmoe's car at the ready to stick in Mile's hand on the way to victory lane/circle.

(shrugs)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooter64 wrote:
i've been looking for this article that talks about the cars for the winners trophy...

i swear it was about one guy...whos job was to create accurate representations of all the cars running for the upcoming race...

that way...no matter who won...they had joe schmoe's car at the ready to stick in Mile's hand on the way to victory lane/circle.

(shrugs)

That's pretty much the gist of what I remember either seeing (reading) or hearing. Been looking for it but no luck yet.

John
tlaferri

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooter64 wrote:

(shrugs)

That seems like a lot of work/effort, especially with the number of one off paint schemes teams now run , for one guy, or a team of guys, to go through to customize/create each car and its markings, and what happens to the other 30 or 40 "customs" that were made but not used? I'd think its more likely that it is/was one guys job to locate and have available a representative version of each drivers car in the race and have it ready to place in the trophy at the end and, perhaps, there is someone then contracted to make an accurate version of the winners actual car after the fact and that one is delivered to the winning team/driver at a later date. It just seems more logical, cost effective and less labor intensive. As an example, if you do a google image search of the Martin Truex 2016 dover win, it shows that he drove the 78 car with Furniture Row markings but if you look at the car in Miles hand it's a 78 Bass Pro shops/Tracker markings car-
I'll gladly stand corrected tho, and line up for the job, if you find the article and they're hiring!!! :^)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: