Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How To: Making red or yellow wheel stripes...(Restored)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
country modeler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: How To: Making red or yellow wheel stripes...(Restored) Reply with quote

This is copied and pasted from the web archive of the old board. It was originally posted by Mach2.

If you're right handed, hold the semi-gloss black wheel in your left hand with the wheel between thumb and index finger. Hold a small diameter handle with a #11 x-acto blade in it with the right hand. Obvious, I know but trust me here. If you look real close you'll see just inside the outer diameter of the wheel theres another angled ridge, like the outer diameter of the wheel. But it's inside the wheel, JUST inside the wheel. This is the ridge that the edge of the blade scrapes. Hold the wheel at a 45 deg angle with your left thumb and index finger and hold the x-acto handle in the right hand so the cutting edge of the blade is almost flat to the horizon. Lightly scrape that inner ridge right on it's edge. It takes some practice, but once you get it down it becomes quite easy. Once this is done, I use a red or yellow, sometimes orange, Sharpie to color this now white line, which is the white plastic that the semi-gloss black paint was scraped off with the #11 x-acto blade.

Here's a pic of the stock white wheel. I've highlighted the very outer circumference in red, and the ridge that gets shaved with the #11 x-acto blade just inside the outer wheel circumference in BLUE.

Here's one angle on how I do it.

Another angle;

Some more;

Here's how it looks when done, then take a red or yellow Sharpie to color the white plastic.

18degrees

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an excellent tip and is easier than it seems. I tried it with a chromed wheel and it worked, i can only imagine how it will look with a white wheel.
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your tip was awesome AND easy to do, pretty sure I will be doing this with all my wheels from now on!

parkertillman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumping back into the hobby after 20 years....this is the way to go. I used to spray paint red/yellow on some aluminum foil and just barely dip the rim in it. This is WAY better!
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to the hobby.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: