Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salvinos MC - Richie Panch -updated 12/10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Salvinos MC - Richie Panch -updated 12/10 Reply with quote

I am most interested in recreating the stockers from the '70s, so needless to say I have done some serious modding out of necessity. That being said, I find the Salvinos Monte a friendly kit to work on. I mean, what I personally find as necessary nip/tucks are not all that difficult to tackle. The styrene has a nice carve-ability to it. Adam's helpful thread in the Tips section will guide through some corrections, and I have some of my own methods which I will describe in this WIP.

I am starting rough, so this is going to look a bit messy at this stage.

First, that front end. We all know the critiques by now so I won't add anything to that. What I will do is SUBTRACT.
Subtract nearly a third of the bumper's height.
Subtract the top border of the grille, to allow the grille/bumper to sit higher.
Subtract the lower rubstrip ridge on the bumper (the rubstrip channel is way too wide). I will replace it with a strip of styrene at a better position.
Subtract the over-scaled fender sculpting at the front.

The kit grill and bumper is a nice shiny high quality piece, but I think it may make the finished look more "Osmond" than "Allison"

The width of the bumper is perfect, however.

So, I am grinding away. You'll need a power tool for this. Those bumpers are HARD. That Salvinos chrome would keep King Kong from Fay Wray for sure.

As far as the headlight height and the unwanted rectangular surfaces behind them, I trimmed out the entire rectangular section, including the round headlight shape, then after sanding down the back of the round part a bit, cemented the section back in - but pushed it in flush. This eliminates the rectangular protrusion, and makes the round light protrude correctly. I also lowered the section a bit to bring the headlamps a bit lower. I ground down some of the lower parts under the headlight, so the bumper and grille can sit higher. You can see this all still needs filler and finishing.

The front nose panel above the grille seems a bit tall to me, so I am going to apply the top section of the grill frame on its surface, above the opening. In this pic I have a strip of BMF as a place holder.

Once again - very rough work at this point, so it is messy!

Last edited by Firefly on Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:46 am; edited 5 times in total
JWVD5953

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. I haven't used any grinding tools like that
since I left the rail shop in 2013. Don't miss the smoke
and grinding dust either. Like your MC so far though.---John
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your ideas for this car, and nice work you've done. Very similar to my ideas for this body. A side by side pic of the stock Salvino body beside your modded body as you progress through each step would be awesome. Thanks for sharing.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited for this! I love seeing other guys methods. Always something to learn. I'm going to try and wrap mine up this weekend so we can let this one run wild.
Mack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This, along with Adams' tutorials are very helpful. Not too critical of the original offering, but very helpful hints on how to build a better model. Thanks to both of you.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I am finding the modifications manageable, since it generally involves cutting, grinding and sanding away misplaced styrene. Like carving a sculpture from a bar of soap. As I mentioned, the styrene is a nice consistency for cutting and sanding.

I am on to the main fixes at the profile. I have been able to address my concerns with the roof with pretty good results. Stay tuned.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
" the styrene is a nice consistency for cutting and sanding."

I am on to the main fixes at the profile. I have been able to address my concerns with the roof with pretty good results. Stay tuned.
I know right? Like I said, I actually enjoyed sanding on it. It's kind of like... in between styrene (typical) and resin, y'know? easy to get carried away though, like I did by the A pillar corner.
Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have applied some modifications to the profile:

1-Adjusted the 'beltline' crease as per Adam's demonstration.

2-Slimmed down the front contouring (top and bottom edges of the fender, side 'scallop' bulge.

3-Rebuilt and relocated the A-pillar: My main issue with the kit pillar is that it is a bit too upright. I moved back the upper end to meet the roof about 1/8" further back. Since that required the pillar to be a bit longer, I built a new one with strips of styrene. I attached the rollcage bars for this area, to aid in reinforcing the new pillar. (this is also something I do for most of my builds to insure a good bar fit. I'll deal with how they mate with the rest of the cage later...)

4-Sanded the roof toward the back, and the along the side windows. The kit roof seems to angle up toward the back, like a Civil War kepi. I Emory-boarded the side and rear edges of the roof to bring those edges closer to the side and rear window frames.

5. Side window and opera window adjustment: The side window was opened up at the rear side at the C-pillar, as it should be in line with the door seam. This mod thins the C-pillar ahead of the opera window, correcting that relationship. At that point the opera window just needed to be widened at the rear edge.

6- Wheel openings: Opened the front opening at the top, and extended the rear opening toward the rear.

7-Rear end at bumper: Sanded down the big flare that meets the bumper, as well as the extra tail light protrusion. At the lower edge I added a very thin wedge of styrene, to help that edge angle a bit more down toward the wheel.

You can also see the front bumper at this point: I added a styrene strip for the lower rub-strip channel edge. (I sanded off the original, which is positioned too low, making the channel too wide.)

You may not notice the changes without comparing with a side image of the out-of-box body. I am satisfied with the results of these efforts so far.

Yellowsportwagon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hell yes Bill that looks light years better!
Lionpride

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. Thanks for sharing.
Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working out the wheel positioning. I am using an AMT Tbird chassis. Wheels are PPP in the nice Salvinos kit tires. I use short lengths of styrene rod on each wheel back, rather than a kit axle or pin, so I can float the position in and out to adjust. I am also test-fitting the slimmed-down bumpers at this stage.

Test fitting the rear bumper, which is roughly trimmed down. I will need to add a thin strip of styrene for the lower rub strip channel, as I did up front.

Firefly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made the decals. Inkjet printed on Testors film. Coated with Krylon Crystal Clear Testors specifies printing at normal paper setting, so that fairly thin layer of ink meant doubling up. The gold outline of the door numbers is airbrushed Alclad gold. Masking was challenging, and far from perfect.

sentsat71

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking GREAT......
Lionpride

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:
Looking GREAT......

Yes it does! You have definitely made the body look better.
DoctorLarry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: salvinos mc-richie panch Reply with quote

How did you do the decal art? Looks great!
Gary Davis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Bill...you're doing an outstanding job on this bad boy. Great job on the decal sheet too!!!

I've been a member since 2006
Firefly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: salvinos mc-richie panch Reply with quote

DoctorLarry wrote:
How did you do the decal art? Looks great!

Lots of time studying reference photos, then working them up in Adobe Illustrator. Thanks!
Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using PPP five-slot wheels with the Salvinos kit tires. I love the sidewall bulge of the kit tires, and the PPP wheels fit really well.

kapam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome work.
I love how you have got the stance of the car looking so right.
Brilliant work all round!
Firefly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kapam wrote:
This is awesome work.
I love how you have got the stance of the car looking so right.
Brilliant work all round!

Thank you!
Test fitting the chassis a gazillion times will eventually pay off. Getting there...

Gary Davis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man...that sure looks good...You're doing a great job on this Bill...that's for sure...

I've been a member since 2006
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for telling us about the wip in the final picture thread. It was very informative.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: