Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

71-72 Monte Carlo build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nengelman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: 71-72 Monte Carlo build Reply with quote

I have an unbuilt MPC Marlin Monte Carlo kit. I am thinking of using the body with the new Salvino Chassis. Mocking it up, it looks like it should be a good fit, perhaps with an extension to the back of the chassis to fill up some of the space in front of the rear bumper. Any one have any thoughts to share on a marriage between these two kits? (Speak now or forever hold your piece!)

Also, suggestions for an accurate 427 motor?

Thanks!

Neal
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably just as easy and more accurate to stretch an AMT Thunderbird chassis for the Monte Carlo.

It's impossible to build a truly accurate Yates 427 Chevy in scale because the Edelbrock Tarantula intake with the carburetor rotated about 10" CW (when viewed from the front) has never been kitted. Other than that there are lots of really nice looking big block Chevy engines, I think the ones from the Revell Novas might even have headers in some versions but I'm not totally sure about that.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Tom......the new Salvinos trailing arms are right at 1/32 scale. Way to small.
spooker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this a Tarantula on the Tobias dirt modified:

Maybe a little undersized, but a lot of them out there. Sorry for the dirty old built-up!

Brian
Bill J

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best 1/25th scale big block Chevy engine I have found is the one that comes in the AMT 67 Impala kit. There are others that are probably as good or even maybe better but I an satisfied with the detail of the 67 Impala 427.

I have seen that offset manifold somewhere, pretty sure it's around in some kit or resin casters line.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spooker wrote:
Isn't this a Tarantula on the Tobias dirt modified:

Maybe a little undersized, but a lot of them out there. Sorry for the dirty old built-up!

Brian

Yes, I almost mentioned that one but it's pretty crude. It's the only one out there that I'm aware of though. And it's hidden by that massive dual-entry cowl induction breather when building a GN Monte Carlo.

One thing I should mention, a lot of those GN engines used cast aluminum valve covers. The engine in the AMT Baldwin Motion '70 1/2 Camaro has a very nice set of M/T finned aluminum valve covers.

Last edited by Tom M. on Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
nengelman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Gentlemen for all of your replies. Most appreciated and good information!

I know that on the previous website, there was plentiful information on stretching the AMT chassis, but stupid me, I never noted it. As I understand it, I would cut the front clip off at the firewall. Does anyone recall how much styrene I should add to get the right length? I've also wondered about maintaining the structural rigidity. Is that a concern? Should I be pinning the sections together when I re-glue?
Bill J

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall it being 5/16 of an inch had to be added.
Bill J

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big block Chevy manifold
https://www.shapeways.com/product/URWLVEHSY/brodix-1-25-bbc-single-carb-rotated-intake?optionId=63768274&li=marketplace
nengelman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, thank you for the information you added as well!
spooker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brodix manifold might be a little too new for the era you're talking about. Nice manifold, tho!
KenK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edelbrock TM-2R:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: