Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mach2's spoiler braces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
country modeler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Mach2's spoiler braces Reply with quote

This is copied and pasted from the web archive of the old board. It was originally posted by Pat and Mach2.

Parts needed;
pin vise
small set of drill bits
evergreen .020" plastic rod
evergreen .025" plastic rod
testors, or any, liquid glue with brush attached to screw off lid
tweezers
sharp #11 bladed x-acto knife
6" ruler with 1/64th inch markings

Use a pencil to mark the back of the rear spoiler with 4 or 6 points, reference pic's should be the sourse for the number of braces, where the upper spoiler braces will go. Mark too the lower spoiler lip on the trunk with the same 4 or 6 points. The spoiler braces usually flare out at an angle going outboard from the middle of the spoiler, mark where the lower spoiler braces will go not directly below the upper ones but slightly inboard of the upper marks as you mark the lower point going outboard. Take a .025" drill bit installed in a pin vise and carefully drill into the back of the rear spoiler. I usually don't go all the way through, unless reference pic's show the upper brace parts in the pic of the front of the spoiler, and some teams do show the upper braces thru to the front of the spoiler. Just turn the pin vise slowly to control the depth of the hole, remember not all the way thru the spoiler unless you know they do. Now, drill .025" holes all the way through the lower lip of the rear spoiler. I prime and paint the model and install the spoiler braces late in the build, almost the last item to be completed.

Installation of the spoiler braces. Take the .025" plastic rod and cut them into short pieces appx. 1/16th" long, use the tweezers to hold one end of this piece and dip the other end of the plastic rod into the liquid glue wetted brush getting glue on the end of the rod. Inset the glue wetted end of the plastic rod into the hole you drilled into the back of the spoiler. Repeat for each upper spoiler brace. For the lower spoiler brace parts, cut .020" plastic rod into 3/64ths" long, hold each piece with the tweezers, dip the other end of this plastic rod into the wet glue brush and slide it into the hole in the bottom of the spoiler flange hole you drilled, pushing each piece into the spoiler flange leaving the same amount sticking out as each upper brace part you glued in place earlier. Let it set till the next day. Now, starting at one end of the spoiler, take the 6" rule and measure from the upper part of the lower brace to the lower part of the upper brace and then cut a piece of .020" plastic rod to this measured length. Test fit using the tweezers to hold this 6-8 64ths" length you just cut in the middle and wet both ends of this length of .020" plastic rod. Put into position this piece vertically and now you have one spoiler brace. You will have to play with each length of .020" plastic rod you cut because sometimes it's too short, or too long. you'll get the hang of it. Repeat these steps to complete each spoiler brace. Let them set for a couple hours, then take the liquid glue brush that's been dipped onto liquid glue and touch the upper and lower points where the .025" and .020" plastic rod meet to strengthen them with this second coat of glue. Next day, take a small paint brush and paint them silver. I use Testors 3/4 oz. bottle Aluminum paint.

Mach2's Post

Here's some pic's I found the will help visualize this How TO.

When these pic's were taken, I was glueing longer than needed upper .025" plastic rod pieces then the next day cutting them to length equal to one another. Now I cut each upper .025" plastic rod piece appx. 3/64" long and glue them in place using the tweezer to set them in place. Also, at the time of the pic's I was using .025" plastic rod for the vertical, longer pieces and .035" plastic rod for the upper & lower shorter horizontal pieces. These were too big in diameter so now I use .025" plastic rod for the upper & lower shorter horizontal pieces and .020" plastic rod for the longer vertical pieces;

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: