Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

shipping, wow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
volsfan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: shipping, wow Reply with quote

I just mailed something that 2 years ago cost 6.50, today 13.00 and the postal service is broke?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipping a single sheet of decals just went up almost 50 cents.......for a flat sheet of paper at one once....... Shocked
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without getting into the politics of it all, the woes of the US Postal Service can be laid in large part to an absolutely insane law called the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006, which requires it to pre-fund pensions and benefits 50 years in advance - which no other business in the world is required to do. The USPS would like the law changed but is legally forbidden from lobbying to get it changed (unlike FedEx or UPS, which can do whatever they please). USPS also cannot undertake certain innovations without official approval. Before piling on the USPS itself, it would be worth understanding that the Postal Service is operating with its hands tied, and perhaps we shouldn't criticize the player so much as the rules imposed on it.

Here's a good breakdown of it:
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-04-04/congress-not-amazon-messed-up-the-u-s-postal-service

Personal note: It was a USPS job my dad got in 1985 that let him give up having to work three jobs to keep my family from losing our home. It put us solidly into the middle class, and made it possible for me to go to college and build the life I have today. I don't say the USPS is perfect - Lord knows USPS has botched a delivery or two in my time, and I don't like the postal rate increase either - but it is something that, to an extent, is a third rail when it comes up around me.

Jodie Peeler
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Jodie.....
volsfan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: mail Reply with quote

Jodie, I agree well said, its just another example of what happens when government is involved
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jodie for the insight!
danjc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jodie, as someone who's dad worked as a mailman for 33 years, I couldn't agree more!! Very well said.

Dan.
john843

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jodie's post really hit a chord with me also. My dad went to work for the USPS in 1960. First couple of years as a clerk and then 34 yrs. as a rural mail carrier.
I was only 5 yrs. old and don't remember much before that but our family's situation took a great turn for the better, especially after he took the route.
Dad is a WWII and Korean war veteran and had gone to work for a local company when he got out of the service and while we got by, that's about all.
Due to the USPS job they were able to send me and my sister to private school among other things but the thing that REALLY stands out in my mind is when about '63 or '64, we got a SECOND car. That just didn't happen in our circles so I thought we must be rich! Turns out, if not for the mail route we wouldn't have needed a 2nd car, but it was a big deal at the time.
And to make a good story better, my dad is 92 yrs. old and fit as a fiddle and sharp as a tack. He could easily pass for 70 or so. He actually works three days a week at the Porsche/Maserati dealership here doing service pickups and deliveries of customers cars and the occasional dealer trade to Jacksonville, Charlotte or Atlanta. Several of the more finicky Porsche customers (imagine that!) won't schedule their car unless Dad can pick up and deliver it. He donates the money he makes there to his church and he LOVES it.
And I've got to say, it does my 63 yr. old heart mighty good to look over In
the other lane on US 278 on any given day and realize that the GT3R coming up on me quick is being piloted by my namesake!

John
john843

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing I forgot to add- while the Postal service does have it's issues, the odds of any one piece of first class mail being completely lost is roughly 1 in 800,000. That figure is from 2 yrs. ago but still, not bad odds.

John
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So true. i have had more issues with both Fed Ex & UPS dropping packages at the wrong houses than the post office putting wrong mail in mailbox.
Bill
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my issues have been with UPS. Fed-ex just places the package, lightly taps the door and dashes. UPS have left packages next door, across the street and worst of all, in the driveway!
TG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the house 1 day and my garage door was up. UPS left a package in the garage and I didn't even know they'd been here till I stumbled on the package later.

UPS left a package the other day with models in it and the box was torn all the was thru on 2 sides....models were okay.

I love USPS!
Henryjint

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I try to get tracking numbers for all packages. If I am not going to be home on the day of delivery, I have them held. Last package lost was an order from BSR years ago that UPs left somewhere.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I try to get tracking numbers for all packages. If I am not going to be home on the day of delivery, I have them held. Last package lost was an order from BSR years ago that UPs left somewhere.
Tony Mabe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i sent a 1/18 auto art corvette sold for 150.00 on ebay shipping 67.10 usd from NC to adelaide austraila, postal service damaged car in transit and it was returned to me, now im stuck with a damaged car and im out 212.45 from ebay buyer protection policy. not to mention paypal & ebay fees.
Bill J

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to buy some small wire for spark plugs, 34 AWG on a 50 foot roll, smaller than a hockey puck. I wanted 2 rolls of different colors. The shipping was $17. I emptied the cart and moved on.

I personally think the outrageous shipping costs are designed to hurt mail order businesses. I know I am often swayed from buying something based on the high shipping costs.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:
I was about to buy some small wire for spark plugs, 34 AWG on a 50 foot roll, smaller than a hockey puck. I wanted 2 rolls of different colors. The shipping was $17. I emptied the cart and moved on.

I personally think the outrageous shipping costs are designed to hurt mail order businesses. I know I am often swayed from buying something based on the high shipping costs.

That's often a result of the retailer not having the correct postage options available in the cart for small-item orders. I've encountered this several times and it's prompted me to stop doing business with at least one company (the lowest charge to ship a $5 set of decals from Texas to SC is $14? Really? No sale). I know from experience what it costs to ship decals, small parts and other small items, and I also know which of them will charge me the appropriate shipping for what I need. But not all have these options set up correctly, and I avoid those vendors except when there's no other option.

While it is true that large companies are able to work out volume discounts, no shipper in its right mind would set up rates with the intent of penalizing mail-order businesses. There would be too much risk, too much damage to profitability, and honestly there would be too much blowback.

Jodie Peeler
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: