Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got my Salvinos group Monte today Now with 100% more pics!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Got my Salvinos group Monte today Now with 100% more pics! Reply with quote

If you are one who gets yours and it doesn't have the 1977 grille set, the Revell unit is an easy swap.

It's my understanding that only some of this run has both grille sets. Looking at the bumper compared to the Revell unit you may want to swap that too.

Last edited by AdamtheWayne on Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suspension corrected?????
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Truck arms, two sets of forward spindles, new tooled brakes, axle shims and springs. There's also a separate air filter element and two styles of wheel but only one hood.

Somebody had mentioned there was a difference between the '74 and '77 hoods. ?

The seat is still the same and the original suspension parts are still present.

Wheels are the five slot from the Olds kit and on the chrome tree the eights.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now with 100% more pictures!

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots to speculate on here huh?

Let the tea party begin!

The decals are exactly what you'd expect from Cartograph and then some. The chrome feels like the same as the first issue Olds (I don't have the second) and the instruction sheet is on glossy, magazine stock.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the photos.......
No further comments until I get one in hand......
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam
Did you order direct from Salvino or are they avail in hobby stores or mail order? How does decals look?
Thanks
Bill
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This decal sheet is the same as the one in the Donnie Allison Olds the sheet was designed to do both cars with items common and the items exclusive to each car on the sheet.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BVAUGHN wrote:
Adam
Did you order direct from Salvino or are they avail in hobby stores or mail order? How does decals look?
Thanks
Bill
I ordered direct, pre-ordered actually. Mike's Decals should have them in stock now. As mentioned above the decals are the same as in the Olds kit and are nothing short of perfect. The instructions have been printed on glossy, magazine stock. (A bit of a waste in my opinion.)
Lionpride

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a little off topic, but when did NASCAR start using crush panels? I notice there are none in this kit.

Last edited by Lionpride on Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of my own thoughts. Please keep in mind I freely admit I KNOW NOTHING about Monte Carlo's. My thoughts are on the kit itself.

The hood seems a bit thicker than the avg styrene kit of today. Reminds me of the old AMT 1972 Torino in thickness and feel. Where the Oldsmobile has faint hood pins these are well defined but a little tall at about .5mm high. I'm sure it will work out with a few coats of paint. The trim around the windshield doesn't seem to know how it wants to be. This may be a mold issue and it may be an anomaly with my example. The trim is high and overly defined across the top and fades to near non existant down the A pillars. On the other side of the greenhouse, the rear window trim is even and well defined all the way around. The retainer straps are thinner and crisper than the Oldsmobile but could have benefitted from some "rivet" detail. The fit of the nose and tail panels is fussy. No other way to put it, without some gap filling glue they will annoy.
I don't care for the look of the window area. I think it could benefit from a little sanding to open and straighten up the side windows.
My sample is straight and clean with minimal mold seams.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the new stuff. The large round item to the lower right is the air filter element. It also includes the two sets of spindles to change ride height, four springs, eight wheel shims and truck arms. This will go a long way towards making the back half look much better.
If they insist on keeping this basic design, my suggestion would be to make a specific front half of the chassis for each brand. Then the generic rear half won't seem so bad. Of course I'd rather they just get the bodies going and use the Monogram molds.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionpride wrote:
Maybe a little off topic, but when did NASCAR start using crush panels? I notice there are none in this kit.
I personally couldn't say for sure but, just because they aren't in the kit doesn't mean they shouldn't be. Rolling Eyes
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you compare the Salvino trailing arms to AMT 1990's trailing arms??? They need to be the same length.......these look short. thx
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pre-order mine too. Hopefully it will show up soon,
Bill
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Can you compare the Salvino trailing arms to AMT 1990's trailing arms??? They need to be the same length.......these look short. thx

Best I can do, I don't have an AMT kit on hand at the moment.

DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!
EDIT: AMT trailing arms are 2 3/8" long at the same points....so one of them is wrong....I don't have a set of real ones here.....so I'll leave that to someone who can tell us. About 91/2 inch difference in scale.
spooker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the whole "generic chassis" money-saving thing, we had it in the 1970's with the MPC kits. When I was a kid, they looked great to me, now, not so much. Since the model companies can no longer rely on kids spending their paper route money or allowance on models in any significant numbers and therefore must rely on the dwindling population of older adult modelers for the majority of their sales, this "generic" concept seems foolish. I don't have one of these kits in my hands so all I can do is look at Adam's pics. My first reaction in looking at the pics was "What an odd looking rollcage". The second was "Detail looks soft". Third "Seat is still wwrong".I have one of the Baker Olds kits and may buy ONE of these just to see for myself, but it just kills me to think that the "generic" concept is EXACTLY what the real cars were (for the most part) and an ACCURATE rendition of the chassis wouldn't cost anymore to do than what we are getting. Monogram did it best, but concentrated on keeping up with the current crop of cars, no retro Gray or Dark-side stuff. Sad, really, that this seems to be the best we can hope for.

Brian
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know man. I'm going to continue to look upon it as growing pains. Monogram have produced hundreds of kits. Salvinos group has produced two.

As for the roll cage, I thought the exact same thing. It looks familiar and yet, doesn't somehow.
spooker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought those cage sides looked like something out of an early 1980's late model.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spooker wrote:
I get the whole "generic chassis" money-saving thing, we had it in the 1970's with the MPC kits. When I was a kid, they looked great to me, now, not so much. Since the model companies can no longer rely on kids spending their paper route money or allowance on models in any significant numbers and therefore must rely on the dwindling population of older adult modelers for the majority of their sales, this "generic" concept seems foolish. I don't have one of these kits in my hands so all I can do is look at Adam's pics. My first reaction in looking at the pics was "What an odd looking rollcage". The second was "Detail looks soft". Third "Seat is still wwrong".I have one of the Baker Olds kits and may buy ONE of these just to see for myself, but it just kills me to think that the "generic" concept is EXACTLY what the real cars were (for the most part) and an ACCURATE rendition of the chassis wouldn't cost anymore to do than what we are getting. Monogram did it best, but concentrated on keeping up with the current crop of cars, no retro Gray or Dark-side stuff. Sad, really, that this seems to be the best we can hope for.

Brian

Well said.........
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Salvino models Reply with quote

I would love for the members to post some pictures of Monte Carlos. Pictures of Monte Carlos from different angles. Thousands and thousands of pictures of Monte Carlos available in books and magazines and online, even in Waco, Texas. These cars won lots of races,are historically very important and these pictures are readily available. Many teams used Monte Carlos from when the body style debut in 1973 till they aged out in 79. They are a classic example of long Hood short deck styling. They have what the GM Design Studios refer to as Colonnade styling. I believe they have a 5inch longer wheelbase then a Chevelle. Or a Olds Cutless. They are really a somewhat attractive car for the 1970s. I haven't seen anything on here lately that resembles a mid-to-late 70s Monte Carlo at all. I've actually have not forgot what they look like. Have you?

Last edited by Bobby The Cabdriver on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:16 pm; edited 4 times in total
Len Woodruff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Got my Salvinos group Monte today Now with 100% more pic Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
If you are one who gets yours and it doesn't have the 1977 grille set, the Revell unit is an easy swap.

It's my understanding that only some of this run has both grille sets. Looking at the bumper compared to the Revell unit you may want to swap that too.

How do you tell if the Monte kit has both Headlight for the stacked & single headlights? They look like they are both on the same sprue?
WR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, it looks better than any other Monte Carlo that has been produced
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Got my Salvinos group Monte today Now with 100% more pic Reply with quote

Len Woodruff wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

How do you tell if the Monte kit has both Headlight for the stacked & single headlights? They look like they are both on the same sprue?

You'll have two sets of bumpers and grilles.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Salvino models Reply with quote

How come yours doesn't? I I suggest everybody reads my earlier post and look at some pictures.
country modeler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Mikes Facebook

As I said there was a special announcement with this kit. There were a very limited number of Hawaiian Tropic kits that were accidentally produced with the option of both the Square Headlight and the Round Headlight versions. The Square Headlight build takes a special dual version chrome tree which were mistakenly put in the first batch off the line. I made a deal to take those first ones and they are on their way to me now. I'll have them on site tomorrow and they will be identified by a small label indicating the dual version parts are inside. So just to be clear, when you buy one if the first Hawaiian Tropic kits from me, you will have parts to do a Square Headlight build.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been monkeying around with this for about an hour now and... no, just no!

While the '74 style nose clip went on much easier than expected, there was still a bit of gap on the passenger side. The front bumper and grille set in nicely, kinda snug, which you'll need because it has no other means of support.

The tail light panel needed it's spoiler surface sanded down by about half just to get a fit. Even then the tail light "buckets" are too wide and need sanding down to blend them into the side.

The rear bumper's only mounting points are two stubby pins under the tail lights. There are cut outs in the bumper which do not align.

All this and a hood twice as thick as the rest.

I cannot afford to continue buying model kits like this. This kit will likely never get built as such. Look for future kit reviews from somebody else.

I had such high hopes and I thought "Okay, they listened and worked in new suspension, next kit we'll get more".

However this is a hobby meant for relaxation and fun. Fighting with this body is not fun. It is exhausting, irritating and harsh. This should not be. I hope they keep producing kits and continue to improve in the future but I can not sanction nor recommend this kit. I pride myself on being as positive and upbeat as I can be and when something like this frustrates me in under an hour it's time to move on.

Test fitting other pieces is the same hit and miss. Of all the issues the Olds had, it went together much better than this. Sad
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Salvino models Reply with quote

It just struck me, all these problems and they molded it in Yellow on top of everything else! LOL!
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
I've been monkeying around with this for about an hour now and... no, just no!
I cannot afford to continue buying model kits like this. This kit will likely never get built as such. Look for future kit reviews from somebody else.

I had such high hopes and I thought "Okay, they listened and worked in new suspension, next kit we'll get more".

However this is a hobby meant for relaxation and fun. Fighting with this body is not fun. It is exhausting, irritating and harsh. This should not be. I hope they keep producing kits and continue to improve in the future but I can not sanction nor recommend this kit. I pride myself on being as positive and upbeat as I can be and when something like this frustrates me in under an hour it's time to move on.

Test fitting other pieces is the same hit and miss. Of all the issues the Olds had, it went together much better than this. Sad

Good (bad) info Adam.......
This is truly sad. If this kit was great....I need at least 12 kits. As I see it today I will buy one just so I can see myself. The real crime is now that we have this Monte Carlo no one will ever attempt to do this kit themselves....so all hope is gone for a really great kit. Thanks for sharing.....
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I have no idea what happened to the photos, but it just doesn't matter. This was supposed to be the company that got me excited for NASCAR kits again. Sad
WR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to get some of them they look great and this is a real missing link in the modeling of nascar race cars. I think some of you guy's want a kit that you put in a plastic bag squirt a little glue some paint shake it up and a car falls out, it really cracks me up how negative some of you are.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all want to paint over yellow plastic. Yes.

It looks like they may have cloned a diecast for that body?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary66 wrote:

Kinda looks like the NAPA 78 Monte Carlo except the front fenders on the NAPA die cast are better shaped.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary66 wrote:

It's not yellow plastic, it's just crappy photography under a yellowish lamp shade. Sorry for the confusion.
spooker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw the pic of the nose and grille, I immediately thought of the Family Truckster! Is a Chevy Chase figure included? These pics have convinced me to not buy even one. No interest at all.

Brian
WR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great that will just leave more for me Thanks
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful not to get personal guys. Everyone has equal right to purchase/not purchase the kit for any reason.

We will delete posts if we need to.

Last edited by Rob Spires on Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
spooker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR wrote:
I can't wait to get some of them they look great and this is a real missing link in the modeling of nascar race cars. I think some of you guy's want a kit that you put in a plastic bag squirt a little glue some paint shake it up and a car falls out, it really cracks me up how negative some of you are.

Nope, we just want to build a model using parts that look like the real thing and fit together decently. Not too much to ask, AMT did it in the 1960's!

Brian
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR ...how many are you buying at retail??? I'm getting one before I decide. You seem to have some inside info we are not seeing here. Thx
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Salvino models Reply with quote

I think Jim Rogers used the Darrell Cartrip character from the Cars movie diecast as a prototype. Sorry WR, I don't have any Talladega Nights decals for you. LOL!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR wrote:

I have been the most positive person in the Salvinos corner up until now. NO, nobody expects to shake a bag and have a kit fall out. However there is such a thing as "reasonable expectation". When I purchase anything, I have a reasonable expectation that the item represents what is on the box and it's features. Well this does "represent" a Monte Carlo, but where it does NOT meet reasonable expectations is thus: It is a poor mixture of several years of a car that could have been done much better. To leave the block behind the rectangular headlight outline and just stick on a circle? That's just lazy. To have a part that needs a large portion sanded away before it fits and when it does, fits poorly? That is sloppy engineering. To have window trim that fades into obscurity and must be redone before building? Crappy mold cutting. It also fails in fit and assembly. As I stated above every other part seems to have an issue including parts from the first kit, that fit fine then!
So, WR, you buy all of them you want. I'm out. Disney, Marvel and BBC's Doctor Who are all learning the lesson of the Ghostbusters and Salvinos will too. People vote with their wallets, so I hope you're prepared to keep them afloat. Good luck and happy building. Can't wait to see how they ruin a Superbird.
spooker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the body in the pics above and contemplating the work required to make it a reasonable representation of a Monte Carlo makes the effort to sand the vinyl roof off of the Revell Wheels of Fire Monte kit seem like a walk in the park. Add in a chassis from an old, unwanted (read: plentiful & cheap) AMT or Monogram 1980's stock car kit and, well, enough said.

Brian
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spooker wrote:
Looking at the body in the pics above and contemplating the work required to make it a reasonable representation of a Monte Carlo makes the effort to sand the vinyl roof off of the Revell Wheels of Fire Monte kit seem like a walk in the park. Add in a chassis from an old, unwanted (read: plentiful & cheap) AMT or Monogram 1980's stock car kit and, well, enough said.

Brian
This guy gets it.
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to build it and it will be just fine for my liking.
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to buy one, use the suspension for my Olds build.Then build the Monte as a street stock, leaf springs and all!
WR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too Pat I plan on building quite a few of them I build them to please me I don't build show cars never have, I still don't see the minor flaws as major. I saw many of these cars race and trust me they weren't perfect
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, accidently locked this thread for a minute.

I cleaned up a few posts, going forward, let's get this back on track as an informative thread about the Monte Carlo kit itself, it's pros and cons, possible fixes...etc....
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparison photos: Salvinos and Revell.

Again, sorry for the terrible photography.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Adam....thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: