Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

question abour Riverside Races

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frenchpl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: question abour Riverside Races Reply with quote

hi all
i need your help on a question i cannot answer.
i think i read sometime that the Riverside 500 , 1rst race of the year , had sometething particular , and differs from the following races ...
cars of last season , or else , or stuff like that
do I recall wrong ?
thanx a lot for help
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NASCAR allowed teams to use cars that were not going to be legal for that season at Riverside. IE if a car had aged out you would be permitted to run it one more time at Riverside.....is that what you were talking about??
frenchpl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
NASCAR allowed teams to use cars that were not going to be legal for that season at Riverside. IE if a car had aged out you would be permitted to run it one more time at Riverside.....is that what you were talking about??

Yes , Dave ! that's it
i remebered a thing like this , and it was it !
many Thanx !!!
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During some of these years, the season actually a began with some short track races in November . Nascar would allow cars that were legal in prior year but not legal in upcoming year to race until Daytona .
Bill
john843

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not remembering wrong, when Nascar went to the shorter wheelbase in '81, they allowed the last year's larger cars to run Riverside only then had to be in the downsize cars at Daytona.

John
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
If I'm not remembering wrong, when Nascar went to the shorter wheelbase in '81, they allowed the last year's larger cars to run Riverside only then had to be in the downsize cars at Daytona.

John

That fell under the obsolete car rule........
BTW...Penske ran the Matador one last time at Riverside before going Mercury by Daytona......so teams even changed manufactures!!!
Mark C.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:

John

Yes, I remember watching that very race on TV, thinking that this would be the last time I would see the big old cars running!
R.J.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1981 Teams ran the big cars at Riverside before changing to the new down sized cars at Daytona
George Andrews

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the modern - day NASCAR Winston Cup Schedule was released in 1972, the smaller venues and races of less than 250 miles were dropped. This led to a 28 to 31 race Cup schedule ( depending on the season ), and the January 500 Mile event at Riverside became the first race of the season. This event distance was changed to 500 Kilometers / 311 Miles in 1977, and the January race also became the last race of the season beginning in 1981, replacing the L.A. Times 500 formerly held at the nearby ( and now - closed ) Ontario Motor Speedway. Note that Riverside hosted 3 Cup races in 1981 -- January, June, and November, then June and November from 1982 until the last race in June, 1988.
To ease the burden on Cup teams that were busy building new cars for the Daytona 500, NASCAR kept the previous years' rules in place for the January Riverside event. This resulted in now 4 year - old cars being allowed to race one last time in an event that was notoriously hard on equipment.
The January, 1981 Winston Western 500 was unique in allowing older 115" wheelbase cars to compete alongside the newer 110" wb cars. A few Cup teams did bring new 110" wb cars to this event, including The Wood Brothers / Neil Bonnett with a Thunderbird, Rod Osterland / Dale Earnhardt with a Grand Prix, and Roger Hamby / Harry Gant with a Malibu. Several Winston West teams also ran 110" wb cars, as they had been legal in WW since 1980.
Between 1981 and 1988, I was fortunate to see every 110" wb Cup car body & style run on the famed Road Course, including 1980 Oldsmobile ( Don Puskarich WW ) and Buick ( Roy Smith WW ), as well as the rare 1982 Chrysler Cordoba LS with the 300 - style front grille and no sail panel window, fielded by Winston West driver Randy Becker. I also witnessed first Cup wins by Ricky Rudd and Bill Elliott, and Tim Richmond's first Cup win, and his last as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: