Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Red for Nichels '71 Plymouth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john843

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Red for Nichels '71 Plymouth Reply with quote

Would any of you know if the Tamiya TS-49 bright red would be correct (or close) for Lorenzen's #99 STP Plymouth?
Also, is it safe to assume that the red on the Nichels GTO is the same as the Plymouth?
Finally have both these kits on the way, just haven't decided whether to do the GTO Plum Crazy or red.

Thanks,
John
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Lorenzen Plymouth Reply with quote

On a similar note, I would love to see pictures David Pearson's Plymouth that he ran in the 71 firecracker 400. It might be a sister car to Fast Freddie's, I know he was dedicated to the GTO project and that the GTOs were run side-by-side out of the same shop with the Plymouth. And that's about all I know. I do know about the GTOs with their convertible oil pans.....

Last edited by Bobby The Cabdriver on Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
john843

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Lorenzen Plymouth Reply with quote

Bobby The Cabdriver wrote:
On a similar note, I would love to see pictures David Pearson's Plymouth that he ran in the 71 firecracker 400. It might be a sister car Fast Freddie's, I know he was dedicated to the GTO project and that the GTOs were run side-by-side out of the same shop with the Plymouth. And that's about all I know. I do know about the GTOs with their convertible oil pans.....

I saw a picture of Bobby Unser standing beside a Ray Nichels / CV Enterprises
'71 Plymouth #10. Wonder if this is the same car David drove. It's on Midwest Racing Archives '71. Appears to be Plum Crazy and white with the C/V on the quarters.

John
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Fast Freddie's Plymouth Reply with quote

Okay we've established that we have three Superstar drivers in two different brands of cars with at least 3 different color schemes out of the same shop at the same time with two different major sponsors. Can anybody help me and John with some pictures? Please. Pretty please. Pretty please with oil dry on top (for the Pontiac)? Doing a Google search, no Pearson Plymouth,both purple and red GTOs with both 33 + 17 on them and Freddy's Plymouth in what looks like STP red and also Hemi Orange. Both the purple GTOs have different paint jobs on them as well with the 17 GTO being very different then the 33 GTO.
john843

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was able to confirm from an article on the Daytona-Superbird site about Chris Vallo that the #10 Plymouth shown on the Midwest racing archives '71 is the same Roadrunner that Pearson drove in the Firecracker. Bobby Unser drove it one week later in the USAC Miller 200 and blew up on the third lap. It shows a close-up of the quarter panel and it say's next to the Vallo logo "Pontiac GTO's
Coming soon to NASCAR" or something to that effect. For some reason, and nobody seems to know why, Vallo had a huge yearning to see Pontiacs competitive in stock car racing.

John
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Pearson 71 Roadrunner Reply with quote

Maybe he had ties to John DeLorean. Didn't Chris Vallo go to prison? Not trying to play detective here, but two and two makes four. It was definitely a back door Pontiac deal as Pontiac engineering was developing the super duty 455 engine that made its debut in 1973. Two years after Chrysler discontinued the Hemi. 3 years after Ford dropped the Boss 429. And 2 years after the other GM divisions neutered their Performance Motors with low compression and station wagon parts. The whole thing with the Pontiacs was shady from the get-go. And Chris Vallo with all his big talk and tossing money around left NASCAR as quickly as he entered it, overnight, leaving behind false promises and lawsuits only to go to Indy and screw over Dan Gurney.
Bill J

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I believe that the Plymouth that Freddie drove was fluorescent red like most STP race cars.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:25 am    Post subject: Pearson GTO Reply with quote

I have found several pictures of Fast Freddy at several different races in the STP Plymouth and I don't know if it's due to color wash or not but I have found at least two pictures where the car looks to be Hemi Orange. When I look at the dark red of the STP logo and of some of the contingency sponsors, I'm wondering if they did run a Hemi Orange car a few times. Keep in mind that even the Pontiacs got painted with Factory Mopar colors.
john843

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:
John, I believe that the Plymouth that Freddie drove was fluorescent red like most STP race cars.

Thanks Bill, I hadn't even considered a fluor. color but that makes perfect sense.
Do you know what the favored brand of spray to do the red on Petty cars might be? I'm assuming with a fluor. , it'll be separate color and clear coat.

Thanks,
John
Bill J

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tamiya spray is a popular choice. The fluorescent colors have to be sprayed over a white base coat and clear coated after application.
john843

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, so much for that plan:( I thought I had a Yesterday's sheet to do this car but turns out, I didn't. Also thought they were currently available from Powerslide but it was the Dow #99 I was thinking of. The good news is however, while looking thru my decals I found two double air-sealed, mint, American BrakBlok #6 Hamilton/Owens Yesterday sheets. And I already have the blue! (never cared for the cream-roofed car).

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: