Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cotton Priddy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Cotton Priddy Reply with quote

Had a chance to spend the afternoon with the son of a man named Cotton Priddy. Cotton was quite the racer.....everything from roller skates as a kid to motorcycles. He even spent time as a factory rider for Indian Motorcycles. His career eventually moved to automobiles and he was a regional power back in the early 1950's. NASCAR was just coming into it's own and he eventually ran a couple of Daytona Beach races. He eventually entered a NASCAR race at a new track, Memphis-Arkansas Speedway. It was a dirt track and he lost a wheel during the race. The car went end over end and he was killed after being thrown from the car in only his third NASCAR race. This was in June of 1956. Cottons son Tom was kind enough to let me see his fathers trophies and make copies of pictures of his fathers cars and motorcycles. This is one of those guys that you think had the talent to be a star but got cut down too soon. Looking at some of the cars they drove in that era it's a wonder any of them survived.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Cotton pretty Reply with quote

The Darkside corner definitely leads towards mid-to-late sixties stuff but I would love to see more mid-fifties modifieds and such. Are there any pictures to go with the story, Dennis?
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to be doing some of the the early Modifieds but after all these years still no one has done a decent 37-38 Ford coupe in 1/25th this was the car from what I understand that most people used plus a big street rod item as well as some moonshine replicas
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Big Donkey did the 38 body in a Ford and maybe a Plymouth
Bill
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the process of scanning racing photos of Cotton. I'll have them done soon. Probably 30-40 pictures.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Cotton Reply with quote

Even though I was born in 1967, my first taste of Circle Track Racing was as a very small child at Weissglass Stadium in Staten Island New York, where they ran mid 50s style, Flathead powered, narrow tired modifieds. A long-time friend of the family named "Big Daddy"George LeBlanc operates the Weissglass Stadium Museum on Hamlin place in Staten Island and a website with lots of pictures of many tri-state area modifieds and the heroes that drove them. And we're not just talking locally , we're talkin about guys who won at places like Langhorne , Syracuse and Flemington. Weissglass was one of the first tracks in the country to kick out Trick of the week, big motor and big tire race cars in the name of keeping it affordable. So even though you might think I'm too young to appreciate the modifieds of the mid-fifties, but like a lot of you, this is the first kind of Circle Track Racing I ever saw.... and I love the cars and the stories... check out www.weissglassstadium.com
Henryjint

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Cotton Reply with quote

Bobby The Cabdriver wrote:
Even though I was born in 1967, my first taste of Circle Track Racing was as a very small child at Weissglass Stadium in Staten Island New York, where they ran mid 50s style, Flathead powered, narrow tired modifieds. A long-time friend of the family named "Big Daddy"George LeBlanc operates the Weissglass Stadium Museum on Hamlin place in Staten Island and a website with lots of pictures of many tri-state area modifieds and the heroes that drove them. And we're not just talking locally , we're talkin about guys who won at places like Langhorne , Syracuse and Flemington. Weissglass was one of the first tracks in the country to kick out Trick of the week, big motor and big tire race cars in the name of keeping it affordable. So even though you might think I'm too young to appreciate the modifieds of the mid-fifties, but like a lot of you, this is the first kind of Circle Track Racing I ever saw.... and I love the cars and the stories... check out www.weissglassstadium.com

Don't want to get too off this thread but I grew up on Staten Island and attended plenty of Saturday night racing shows at Weissglass Stadium. It was a 1/5 mile flat asphalt track. When young attended with my dad and later on with my buddy, taking two buses to the track. Some great memories from those days!
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Stock car racing in New York City? Reply with quote

I agree not to get too far off the post, but I am aware that there are people on this forum who collect Stock Car Racing magazine and sometime between 79 and 81,Dr. Dick did a story about Weissglass Stadium and there's about seven or eight minutes of video on YouTube. Getting back to the original post, again I would love to see more pictures of 50s modifieds, particularly ones that ran on the beach and in the first few years on the big track in Daytona. Some of the most unique cars ever in our beloved sport and also some of the most incredible stories.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: