Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help setting up airbrush

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawgvet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Help setting up airbrush Reply with quote

So I just bought my first airbrush and want to get it set up. I have a pancake Rigid compressor with built-in regulator from Home Depot. What other items will I need? I’ve read where a finer regulator may be needed and a water trap? What about a water trap at the airbrush?
Thanks in Advance,
Jed
kurth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will probably need to start with an adapter to connect the hose to the compressor. Does your compressor have a Quick Disconnect or a threaded connector? What brand airbrush did you get?

An airbrush specific regulator will give you better control of the pressure, but to get started you can try the built in regulator. The moisture trap depends on the climate where you live, if it is humid where you live, a moisture trap may be a good idea. If you live in the desert, then it is not as important. You can get a moisture trap which is spliced into the hose, you can get a hose with a trap installed, and some people have a moisture trap connected directly to the airbrush.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longer ago than I want to think about, I did my airbrushing with my dad's huge shop compressor. I had an airbrush regulator with a water trap built into it (easy to find for $20 or $30 or so), and it had a quick-disconnect attachment threaded into it. I could just pop it on the air line, start the compressor and go to it. I've lost count of how many models I painted with that system, but it worked well. I definitely recommend having at least this kind of regulator/water trap. It will give you much finer control than the compressor's built-in regulator.

Some folks like an in-line moisture trap that splices into the airbrush hose, but I've never used one, either when I was using my dad's shop compressor or now as I'm using a dedicated airbrush compressor (and I've done all this in a very humid part of the world). The reassurance isn't a bad idea, though.

Would you mind telling us which airbrush you've bought? A lot of airbrush matters will be broadly similar but there are things specific to every brand, so any details will help us give more direct recommendations.

Jodie Peeler
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: