Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"The Speed Lovers"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: "The Speed Lovers" Reply with quote

While searching for the Tiny Lund documentary, I came across another almost forgotten NASCAR movie, "The Speed Lovers". This one is not a documentary. It's not about drugs either. This is, from what I've read about it, a sub B movie. Starring, get ready for it, Fred Lorenzen!!! And from what I read about it, he's the best actor in the movie! If I find either one of these movies available online, you can be sure I will post the link. If anybody has seen either of these movies,or has copies of them, please let us know.
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever heard of "Red Line 7000" starring James Caan its a terrible movie but does have some good vintage footage of some Nascar cars and racing.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have only seen this movie (Redline 7000) once or twice back in the 1970's on a local channel in the LA Metro area. Or maybe the first time was before moving to SoCal in early 1972, it might have been on CBS as one of their Fri.(?) night movies.
Know I saw it in SoCal, as being a regular at Ascot in the LA area, the dirt track scenes were shot at Ascot......
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: "The Speed Lovers" Reply with quote

It makes Elvis Presley's "Speedway"look like "Gone in the Wind"! "Speedway" is pretty bad too but at least it's fun!
racerbrown

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can find speed lovers on amazon. it's no jewel but it is fun to watch the old movies. the goods folks at coastal 181 have a lot of good flicks as well. thunder road, thunder in carolina and thunder in dixie as well as some other good ones.
duane
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: "The Speed Lovers" Reply with quote

"Thunder in Dixie",is that the one shot at the Nashville Fairgrounds with Coo Coo's Bel-Air and Marty Robbins Plymouth and all those crazy cut up Nashville cars and none of the actors have a Southern accent , right? I bet Fall City 48 has seen that one! I saw it a few years ago on a non cable, converter box station, bounce or antenna or something like that. It actually really wasn't that terrible. That same Channel had that Sportsman movie from the early 80s with David Pearson in it," Born to Race"or something like that. Who says they only made bad, corny racing movies in the sixties? None of them are as bad as Richard Petty playing himself, but let's not go there. What's the one with Annette Funicello in it? And you absolutely positively cannot put "Thunder Road "in with any of this garbage! A true movie classic!
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like "Speedway" because of the scenes of Charlotte Motor Speedway back then....

Then there's an early scene when Elvis is chasing himself......as it sure looks like the #6 car coming up to pass him, in one of the "in car" scenes.....

Plus the opening scene were various drives of the time were recognized.
gator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell On Wheels has a lot of Nashville footage and stars Marty Robbins. Annette was in Fireball 500 and also Thunder Alley. Thunder Road was one of Robert Mitchum's finest works in my opinion.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: "The Speed Lovers" Reply with quote

I've seen" Hell on Wheels". It's a good thing that Marty could sing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: