Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WWofS 69 National 500 on YouTube

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: WWofS 69 National 500 on YouTube Reply with quote

At least a couple of times a week, I get on YouTube looking for things related to the Aero Wars era and recently posted by racefan84 is ABC's Wide World of Sports coverage of the 1969 National 500 at Charlotte Motor Speedway, which was the first time all the factory Daytona's hit the track. The race was won by Donnie Allison in Ellington's Talladega but of particular interest is Chris Economaki and David Pearson's tour through the interior of Pearson's Holman & Moody Ford. "And of course the cigarette lighter." I could not help but to notice that it did not have a dry-sump oil tank in the interior.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How I wish that footage was just a little clearer. It's almost hard to watch but amazing anyone has the episode.
https://youtu.be/BtdOgmumu-g
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: WWofS 69 National 500 on YouTube Reply with quote

A lot more footage exists then you would think. A lot of it sits in a very large safe in Daytona. ABC would from time to time send out video tape to affiliates who had local Broadcasting interfering with the network telecast, and that's where most of the privately-held footage comes from. From time to time in the past, people have gotten ahold of this footage and created bootlegs of it and when it's as blurry as this race or the 70 firecracker 400, it's because of being watered down through multiple copying. A lot of it can also be seen at the Museum of broadcasting in Manhattan, ABC was always pretty good about not reusing video tape and turned over most of their archives to the museum . But you can't make copies . One more reason I hate NASCAR, they've got just about everything that's ever been aired laying in a vault without Public Access. Who knows what they're waiting for..... that's a rhetorical question guys!
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: WWofS 69 National 500 on YouTube Reply with quote

Would anybody be interested in a list of the different YouTube channels containing vintage racing footage? There's quite a few of them and quite a few surprises.
john843

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find Bobby. Agree with Dave and wish the video was a little more clear but still some good details in it.(David's door-to-door asbestos floor cover, dash layout, etc.) Also, that was Banjo's #27, not Hoss Ellington's.

John
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: WWofS 69 National 500 on YouTube Reply with quote

Bobby The Cabdriver wrote:
One more reason I hate NASCAR, they've got just about everything that's ever been aired laying in a vault without Public Access. Who knows what they're waiting for..... that's a rhetorical question guys!

In fairness, it's not just NASCAR that keeps its vaults under wraps - any more, just about any rights-holder will do it. I know the networks are very much that way, from experience (and BTW, my day job has something to do with the broadcast realm, as my avatar might indicate). A few years ago for a project I needed some footage from the NBC News Archives. It took some persuading just for me to get them to bend the rules enough to sell me a time-coded, watermarked, low-resolution screener of the footage I needed, and just that bit of footage cost me a couple hundred bucks. Since then the NBC archive has changed its policy yet again because their focus now is working with established filmmakers and documentarians, and if you're an average person needing to do some research, they really don't help you that much any more.

I understand why they do it (that's where the revenue is, and it also means you don't deal with people who want to know if they can get episode X of some television show, because even if you could fulfill those requests it would take forever). I also know they have limited resources, small staffs, and in some cases material that hasn't been transferred to digital media. But for folks like me who are trying to get serious historical research done, it makes life difficult. There's stuff in the archives that the museums don't have. (Although, in fairness, every once in a while you will come across something that the archives don't have, either, and I could tell a story about that over a beer or two.)

The Paley Center and other broadcast museums that have these items are bound by the rules of donation, which is why they can't make or sell copies and why you have to go view it on-site. I'm facing that in the new year and will have to spend a day or two there because of this. It's a pain, but at least it's available.

Now, if you really want to rage-weep, look up what happened when the videotape surfaced of parts of the long-lost Super Bowl I telecast....

Jodie Peeler
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: WWofS 69 National 500 on YouTube Reply with quote

I completely understand the networks view of allowing public access to their archives. The media does not exist to keep the public informed, it exists to turn a profit. But this isn't a political discussion,(I've been warned about this before)it's about NASCAR denying it's fans access to its history. You could go to the MLB Hall of Fame in Cooperstown,New York and (with an appointment) spend days in their archives. I know people who have. But NASCAR's archives are under lock and key and with the change of administration and possible change of ownership,who knows what may be come of it. We know how they don't care about their old fans that have supported them throughout the years.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Buz ran the archives things were slightly better because he understood and appreciated the history of the sport. Not many of those left in Daytona Beach.
john843

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
When Buz ran the archives things were slightly better because he understood and appreciated the history of the sport. Not many of those left in Daytona Beach.

Back in the late '90s a friend of mine here in town wanted to get some info on a '59 Chevy with TWO engines ( a 348 under the hood and a 283 in the trunk) that his father bought from Jim Rathman in '61 or '62. Rathman had provided the car to Firestone for tire testing at Daytona and my friends father bought it, removed the rear engine, and raced it for several years around Ga. and S.C. with either Bubba Into or LeeRoy Yarbrough driving it most often. In fact, I think it was one of Little Bud Moore's first rides in a competitive race car.
My friend had no idea how to start looking for info on it so I suggested he call Daytona Speedway. Buzz McKim was the archivist there at the time and ended up being super helpful. Not only was he familiar with the car but sent my friend a copy of every photo (14 total) and bit of paperwork relative to the car, FREE of charge! My friend is gone now but thanks to Buzz, I have the photo's of the car before and after my friends Dad owned it.
I don't know that except for possibly Junie Donlavey, I've ever met anyone in racing any nicer than Buzz. I've talked to him on several occasions at various banquets and such since then and even in casual conversation, his love for the history of the sport really shows.

John
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: WWofS 69 National 500 on YouTube Reply with quote

For those of you unaware, Buzz McKim is the curator of the Nascar Hall of Fame in Charlotte and has worked for NASCAR for many years as an archivist. Yes, there has been access to the print media and official photography over the years. No, there has not been anything but very limited, only approved by higher-ups, access to the vaults of film and video that NASCAR possesses. And as we all know if not taken care of both film and video degrade over time. Many years ago, about 15 or 20, an independent filmmaker I knew in New York City made an attempt to access to these faults and was flat denied and this is a guy with PBS credits on his resume. He was made aware that they only let out things with approval and it's very very limited what gets approved. There have been similar projects done since then with mostly privately-owned footage, but he had potential to produce something that we all would be still referencing today and couldn't even get his foot in the door. The approval would come from the same office that approved the script and the shooting of "Talladega Nights"by the way. The movie that cured any hope of getting the youth of this country interested in our sport.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: