Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cecil Gordon Galaxie question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Cecil Gordon Galaxie question Reply with quote

This appears to be Cecil Gordon's '68 Galaxie from the 1970 season, but a couple of things have me scratching my head. Is this the right-side pits of Riverside? If so, I can't find Racing-Reference proof hat Gordon - or the #24 Galaxie ran there. And - is that a rookie stripe on the bumper? Cecil ran a nearly full '69 season for Siefert. Maybe he loaned out the car for this event?

FallsCity48

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly, as odd as it seems, this photo is of Cecil at the 1971 Motor Trend 500. The 1968 Galaxie would appear to be not eligible due to Nascar's 3 year rule but must have been waived for Motor Trend 500 as it was the 1st race of the 1971 season. Bill Champion can be seen racing his '68 Galaxy in the race video below as well.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qNLHbgzb-4
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FallsCity48 wrote:
Firefly, as odd as it seems, this photo is of Cecil at the 1971 Motor Trend 500. The 1968 Galaxie would appear to be not eligible due to Nascar's 3 year rule but must have been waived for Motor Trend 500 as it was the 1st race of the 1971 season. Bill Champion can be seen racing his '68 Galaxy in the race video below as well.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qNLHbgzb-4

Thanks. The video does show the bumper stripe as yellow, so that still puzzles me. And I could understand the common process of bringing an older car on a one-way trip to California. Cecil ran the rest of '71 in the Cyclone. (Racing-Reference might be wrong about a Ford at Ontario. A pic I have seen seems to show the Cyclone.)
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick glance of Racing Reference.info provides the following :
Riverside Jan. 11th, 1971 -- Cecil Gordon started 13th -- finished 10th -- car is listed as '69 Ford
Ontario Feb. 28th, 1971 -- Cecil Gordon started 19th -- finished 16th -- car listed as '69 Ford with " Casa Linda Sahara Motels " sponsorship. ( On the Riverside car in photo. )
I will surmise that Gordon towed the car out to California for Riverside, left it there ( likely in the care of a GNWest Series team ), then ran it again at Ontario.
Keep in mind that GNWest Series rules allowed an extra model year of eligibility, making this car a likely sale prospect after the Ontario race.
Also worth mentioning that older Racing Reference listings are only as accurate as the records NASCAR kept. ( They did not list Ray Elder's 2 wins at Riverside as Cup victories until years later. I recall also issues with Bobby Allison not receiving credit for winning a Cup short - track race in a non - Cup car. ) NASCAR often relied on local track officials for race results; if a driver or car owner listed their entry as a 1969 instead of 1968 model, it was not always confirmed or corrected by local officials. Regarding early Riverside events ( a long tow for Carolina - based teams ), NASCAR was willing to overlook - ignore - shrug - to acquire a full field of cars.
FallsCity48

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
........(Racing-Reference might be wrong about a Ford at Ontario. A pic I have seen seems to show the Cyclone.)

George Andrews wrote:
A quick glance of Racing Reference.info provides the following :
Riverside Jan. 11th, 1971 -- Cecil Gordon started 13th -- finished 10th -- car is listed as '69 Ford
Ontario Feb. 28th, 1971 -- Cecil Gordon started 19th -- finished 16th -- car listed as '69 Ford with " Casa Linda Sahara Motels " sponsorship. ( On the Riverside car in photo. )

I would love to have a dollar for ever error I found in Racing Reference. Don't get me wrong, it's a good tool....but not the Bible.
As said earlier, Racing Reference is based off Nascar records which were base off a driver's Post Entry filing for a particular race for type of car, year, owner/sponsor etc. Nascar put more teeth in the Post Entry race filing rule after the 1969 Talladega driver pullout incident requiring them to be filed several weeks before the event. I forget all the penalties for not having filed on time (I know loss of points was one) but many driver/teams did not know that far out which car they would be driving...hence the errors.
For instance, I don't how many times Racing Reference show Richard Petty driving a 1971 Plymouth at short track event during 1971 in which in reality he actually drove his 1970 Roadrunner Embarassed
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that was Cecil's first Riverside race, that would explain the yellow bumper.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Cecil Gordon Galaxy Reply with quote

Did NASCAR finally rectify the Bobby Allison 84 wins situation? They were not drawing enough Grand National teams to some of the short track events at Bowman Gray, so they started having "combined"events there meaning they were allowing Grand American teams to enter. I would guess that the Petty's sent Allison seven pistons instead of eight or something, so he entered the number 49 Mustang instead of his Charger and won the race! For many years, they wrongfully had Mr. Allison as winning 84 races instead of 85. Just one more example of.... how about some history on the Coca-Cola Mustang? Was it a former Bud Moore Trans Am car?

Last edited by Bobby The Cabdriver on Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony
I believe back in the day, even though Riverside was first race of the new season, that NASCAR used the Daytona 500 as the race they used to as the start of the season for the 3 year old car rule. Remember also in other years the season began in Nov with some short track races.
Bill
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Cecil Gordon Galaxy Reply with quote

Bobby The Cabdriver wrote:
Did NASCAR finally rectify the Bobby Allison 84 wins situation? They were not drawing enough Grand National teams to some of the short track events at Bowman Gray, so they started having "combined"events there meaning they were allowing Grand American teams to enter. I would guess that the Petty's sent Allison seven pistons instead of eight or something, so he entered the number 49 Mustang instead of his Charger and won the race! For many years, they wrongfully had Mr. Allison as winning 84 races instead of 85. Just one more example of.... how about some history on the Coca-Cola Mustang? Was it a former Bud Moore Trans Am car?

Bobby got credit for that win in the yearbooks for several years then it disappeared.

That was one of the three Mickey Thompson Mustangs that went to Bonneville. Two of them were converted by H-M into NASCAR GT/GA cars and sold, that was one of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: