Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holman-Moody Fairlane

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2002p51

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Holman-Moody Fairlane Reply with quote

Well, I started this project with the idea of making a full detail model. But once I narrowed the track enough to get the tires tucked inside the body work, I realized they were jammed almost up against the frame rails and there was no room for springs and no way they could steer! Then once the front clip was shortened enough to fit behind the thicker than scale kit grille I saw that I could have a radiator or a fan and water pump but not both! The model suddenly attained shelf model status and the hood was glued shut which I'm okay with 'cause I don't build for contests anymore and nobody ever sees any of my models once they're done anyway.

[/img]

[/img]

Here are the specs: Standard AMT street body. Most of a Polar Lights Torino frame, chassis, etc. Paint is Testors Light Blue inside and on the wheels, Model Master Classic White on the outside. All of the "glass" is Evergreen .005" clear styrene. The hood pins are from Monogram counter sunk into the plastic. Headlight covers, spoiler, window straps, etc. are Evergreen .010" sheet styrene. Decals are a very old sheet by Slixx. I had intended to letter the tires with Shabo "Firestone" dry transfers but they were old and dried out and would not stick.

Anyway, it was fun to build and critiques and comments are welcomed.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work.....I love those Fairlanes....
sentsat71

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY nicely done!!!!!
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your builds with us, I've missed seeing them.
Jim N

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! Paint and decal work are outstanding.
Racer14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good!
Firefly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Holman-Moody Fairlane Reply with quote

2002p51 wrote:
...nobody ever sees any of my models once they're done anyway.

Oh I don't know about that... you have over 100 views as of this reply!
You did a great job with a very difficult car to work on. And as for me, I usually build with a closed hood for a better fit-and-finish, and for the fact that I don't want me or anyone fiddling with opening the hood.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was at The Rebel 400 in 1968 when Freddy took a couple laps in the car & presented it to the Joe Weatherly Museum. Great looking build!!!
Bill
Henryjint

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful build!
Built this car when the original release of the kit came out using the decals from the 65 Galaxie kit.
AlanGTX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Great build Reply with quote

Great build!
This was the first stock car I attempted 20 years ago, it's a tough subject, I rebuilt mine 3 times before I was fairly happy

I was at the Darlington legends meeting when the car was pulled out of the museum, and displayed by Lee Holman before going off to H&M
gcreswell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am putting building the Donnie Allison 1966 Rookie car on my to do list. I have been searching for photos of the frame and roll cage. I did come across this site. http://www.peter-lepold.de/fairlane.html If you hit translate it will convert the wording to English. How close is the chassis below and under the hood on this one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: