Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From the vault.....I honor of David Pearson....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: From the vault.....I honor of David Pearson.... Reply with quote

No laughing!!!
I built this back in 1974 as soon as I was able to get a JoHan 72 Gran Torino kit. Pearson and the Woods were one of my favorite teams and I loved the red and white Mercury. I added the front end of a MPC 73 Cougar kit and modified the Torino to look more like the Montego. The PUROLATOR was made from dry transfer lettering. The stripes from a model rail decal set. Other decals were taken from kits. This was pre aftermarket days. As my skills advanced the model went into storage....getting so dirty it was almost black when I pulled it out the other day. Pearsons passing reminded me of the model....which was my favorite for years. I spent about an hour trying to clean it up and not damage it more. Decals are cracking, paint yellowing and some putty cracking. It has a Boss 429, wrong for the car but back then buying another kit for a motor was not possible.
She ain't state of the art by today's standards.....but it holds a place for me. Thanks for looking....

Ed Billing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it alone Dave, it's a time capsule from back in the day. The effort you went to make it shows how dedicated you were in making it.
No laughing from me, go ahead and put in a display case.
OldTrucker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Billing wrote:
Leave it alone Dave, it's a time capsule from back in the day. The effort you went to make it shows how dedicated you were in making it.
No laughing from me, go ahead and put in a display case.

I agree 100%!!! Cool
Yellowsportwagon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it. The best we could do back then. That’s a keeper for sure. Leave it alone looks fresh from the barn.
Bill J

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know from past experience that making a model like that took some serious thought and execution. Definitely a time capsule of what modeling was like in that timeframe.

I know a lot of talent went into your model Dave, keep it as a monument of a different time.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree!!! It is a time capsule of building NASCAR cars back then!

Back in those days, to be able come close to the 1:1 was definitely an art in itself.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did a nice job on the front! Better than some resin efforts I have seen.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave - THIS IS A KEEPER!
RussMyers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And he probably did some of the work on it in my room at my parents house. On Sundays, Dave, Jim Weathers, and myself would gather in my room, build models and listen to the races on the radio. In the days loooonng before cable TV. I still have my Cecil Gordon Mote Carlo (hand painted numbers) and a Benny Parsons Mercury. The modeling was fun, the races were a lot more interesting, and the friendships are very closely held memories.
RussMyers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And he probably did some of the work on it in my room at my parents house. On Sundays, Dave, Jim Weathers, and myself would gather in my room, build models and listen to the races on the radio. In the days loooonng before cable TV. I still have my Cecil Gordon Mote Carlo (hand painted numbers) and a Benny Parsons Mercury. The modeling was fun, the races were a lot more interesting, and the friendships are very closely held memories.
spotter23

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Pearson Build Reply with quote

It's perfect just the way it is
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: In honor of David Pearson Reply with quote

I wouldn't touch it either, but if you want to try to clean it up a little more, try using peroxide, just regular cheap drug store hydrogen peroxide. I learned this from messing with vintage Aurora T jet and AFX cars. A few hours dipped in peroxide and stuff comes out looking almost new and it doesn't eat the Chrome or decals. But I wouldn't touch it! There are people who spend months building models to look like this and idiots that spend thousands making real cars look like this!
scooter64

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always look at items like this and think of "antique roadshow"...

"you have a louis the thirteenth chair...that you refinished...unfortunately that makes it worth like 17 bucks...unrestored...it'd be worth 5 million...NEXT!"

she's a beaut just the way she is...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooter64 said

Quote:
"you have a louis the thirteenth chair...that you refinished...unfortunately that makes it worth like 17 bucks...unrestored...it'd be worth 5 million...NEXT!"

Have 2 old Hot Wheels cars from the late '60's very early '70's that I applied some paint at one time. out of curiosity, took them to a store in SoCal that was big into Hot Wheels in the late 1990's and was basically told the same thing......
As far as I know.....still have at least one of them....running around somewhere in some box sitting in the basement....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: