Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

David Pearson Passes Away. What's your favorite DP Ride?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DPalmer4343

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: David Pearson Passes Away. What's your favorite DP Ride? Reply with quote

In honor of the passing of the Grey Fox, David Pearson today, thought it might be nice to share your favorite Pearson ride.

For me, it was the '68 Torino in Gold and Blue. Most associate him with the Woods Brothers Red and White rides, but this one I'll remember him in.

bangor boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear, hear.

Those '68 and '69 Torinos are simply gorgeous. Pearson's best cars while he was at the top of his game.

As a young Richard Petty fan, seeing Pearson creep into the picture filled me with dread. But I soon came to respect what Pearson meant to the sport. And that has only grown over time.

I recently picked up a nice 1/24 diecast of Petty's Talladega (a largely unloved car) and plan to modify it into Pearson's '68 championship car. A shame that there's scarcely any accurate decals to do the '68, but the plastic version is probably too scarce - and the diecast doesn't exist - to make it worthwhile. Custom order for Polecat.

And I'll look forward to next summer's races at Michigan, Watkins Glen or NH, wearing a dark blue and gold-trimmed baseball shirt in tribute to him. Scored a couple of extras when my softball team disbanded. My wife is a skilled seamstress and I'd already talked with her about making one with his iconic style #17 on the back and left front, maybe put East Tenn letters on the front and HM and CP crests on the shoulders.
Wood Brothers Junkie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the original drivers door from that car, it was replaced at the time of restoration. I bet the value just went up, but I have no plans on selling
CRANMAN1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 21 Purolator wood bros car the best looking to me. Only other one would be his rookie car #67 chevy.
DPalmer4343

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRANMAN1 wrote:
The 21 Purolator wood bros car the best looking to me. Only other one would be his rookie car #67 chevy.

Sure was a pretty ride

BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked his 63 Dodge
Bill
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPalmer4343 wrote:
CRANMAN1 wrote:

Sure was a pretty ride

Anyone have a review/info on the SMH resin body of this car?? I'd like to build this one....
scsracing38

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite cars were the Chattanooga chew cars and the 76 car. And Firefly did a awesome job on that car. David you will be missed bad. But your in heaven racing with Lee,Dale,Neil,Davenport,Alan and Tim.
A fan of yours Billy Jennings
George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite Pearson ride was kinda obscure, the 1981 Chevy Monte Carlo he drove for Joel Halpern. Just a few races into the 1981 season Halpern would die in a speed boat accident, leaving David without a ride.
CRANMAN1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking at Wood Bros. Museum in Stuart VA.
DPalmer4343

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
My favorite Pearson ride was kinda obscure, the 1981 Chevy Monte Carlo he drove for Joel Halpern. Just a few races into the 1981 season Halpern would die in a speed boat accident, leaving David without a ride.

was it this one?:
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEP !!! That's the one. I always likes the flat - front Monte Carlo's of 1981 - 1983. Thanks for the photo...
afx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:

Anyone have a review/info on the SMH resin body of this car?? I'd like to build this one....

That's the one I used for my build, which you are probably familiar with.
The master was likely made off of a '71-'73 Cougar, which is a completely different car, as you know. Besides the inaccuracies, the smaller size gets you a scale of more like 1:26.
To get mine close to the right proportions, I pretty much quartered it like a chicken and filled the gaps.
I might have re-posted the WIP pics on the rebuilt Randy's.
I can fill you in on the full details if you are still interested!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: