Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hood vents - any suggestions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firefly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Hood vents - any suggestions? Reply with quote

Trying to figure out a way to fab hood vents like these. I have even considered grafting them off a donor hood! All suggestions welcome!

Bill J

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently modded a SMH Charger 500 body that was mastered off of the old MPC Charger Daytona that had a nice body but lacked any cowl venting.
The resin Charger 500 body had no venting. I cut the cowl off of a AMT Dodge Coronet and used it to mark the Charger 500 body and then cut off the non vented cowl and glued on the vented one. Took a little filling but not too hard.

I am not sure of the best way if the vents need to be on the actual hood. Either something similar or perhaps draw up a decal pattern and use a printer to print the vent lines and apply, just a thought.
john843

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slixx makes a goody sheet #GMSI 8050 that has a radiator flue design, that when cut carefully works great for hood vents. (the third one down)

http://slixx.com/8050.htm?id=5244

John
Firefly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
Slixx makes a goody sheet #GMSI 8050 that has a radiator flue design, that when cut carefully works great for hood vents. (the third one down)

http://slixx.com/8050.htm?id=5244

John

Thanks - planning to do a black car,though. (SIGH)
Taz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across some HO scale ladders at a local hobby store and was thinking about cutting out rectangles in the cowl area and glueing in the ladders. Plastistrut also sells scale fencing in plastic with less space between slats .
Ron
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen laser cutters for plastic sheet, not sure if that would work on resin or not but it's the best way I can think of if you could locate someone who had one. You would also need a file that would drive the laser path too, I would imagine.
Firefly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about photo etching? Might be an opportunity to try that out...
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've scribed them with a dental pick, and the back edge of a number 11 exact-o blade before. Very tedious, but the end result was worth it. I just did the top surface, not all the way through. I used PE, and a small straight edge for my guides. Practice on some scrap plastic, very light scribes initially, then slowly increasing to heavier scribes. Your mileage may vary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: