Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MPC Super Stockers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purplemist99

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: MPC Super Stockers Reply with quote

Did anyone made a mustang body that you could use on the Super Stock model? Aren't the chassis, etc. generic enough to switch bodies?

Thanks,

PM99
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MPC did, AMT returned it to stock and still sells it. Just hog out the wheelwells of the AMT '69 Mach 1, it's the same body that was in the Trickle version of the Super Stocker.
afx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Tom says.

Purplemist99

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, gentlemen!!! Much appreciated.

Another question. Where would you suggest to look to purchase the kit? All I can find is on Ebay and they are kind of pricy!
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have heard "rumors" that R2/AMT/MPC is supposed to reissue the Super Stocker kits, but have not seen anything on this lately.....I keep hoping that is the case.......
Wild Bill 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Picked up one of those Trickle Super Stockers for $35 (Decals included), but its missing a few parts, A bumper, valve cover what would be a good source for replacements?
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any issue of the MPC or AMT 1969 Mustang will work for the bumper you sometimes see the chrome tree offered for sale over on the bay as for the valve cover I think it was different than the either of the engine options in the kit, but to be frank the real car ran a Holman Moody 429 side oilier so you may be better using a different engine than what the kit had. The real car is now owned by Wayne Lensing and is in his museum in Roscoe Illinois. If your close he would most likely let you see it even if its not on display he rotates some cars at times
Purplemist99

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the information. Got the 1969 MPC Mustang Kit.

Know I need some guidance on "hogging" out the wheel wells. Would a Dremel tool with a sanding attachment work, or would it be too much? I figure slow and steady is the key.

Again, any suggestions or pointers are greatly appreciated!!!

Very Happy
Firefly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplemist99 wrote:
Know I need some guidance on "hogging" out the wheel wells. Would a Dremel tool with a sanding attachment work, or would it be too much? I figure slow and steady is the key.

Very Happy

That's how I do it! But first I carefully mark the body with a guideline.
And of course, practice on some scrap first.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
Purplemist99 wrote:

Very Happy

That's how I do it! But first I carefully mark the body with a guideline.
And of course, practice on some scrap first.

That's how I do it too. I mark the cuts with a Sharpie on the outside of the body then use a sanding drum in the Dremel to remove material. Always stop short of your marks and test fit to verify, you can remove more material in seconds but it's much more difficult to add it back.

This photo shows approximately how I do it, the front is in process and the rear was marked but I had removed the upper marks while doing some additional sanding on the body.

OldTrucker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, I do it the old fashioned way. I mark the well out and then use my trusty exacto knife to slowly carve away at it until it is very close to the line and then use sandpaper wrapped around a piece of broom handle to finish it out. Then use lighter paper to smooth it out. Very Happy
Mark C.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody do decals for this car? I'd like to do one someday myself.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For radiusing wheel arches, I don't have the patience to keep sanding until it looks right. I mark them off and then cut using a small cutting wheel on my dremel. It's a small diameter wheel that resembles a circular saw blade - the small diameter allows me to make tighter turns.

I cut inside the lines, and then I grind and sand until I'm happy with it. Here's an in-progress on a '57 Chevy that I started quite a few years ago. I haven't built anything in awhile, so this one is sitting in the unfinished pile...

The beauty of these short trackers is that if it turns out a little rough, it's still OK... Very Happy
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know whos car Tom is doing but I want to do the Verlin Eaker car and several others as well for myself. I saw the Eaker car built and I think Gregg Holland had done the decals for it Greggs decals are some of the best in the business but I don't know if he still has them available
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: ASA decals Reply with quote

Check out satoriusracing at yahoo.com I started communicating with Denny recently and he has a serious amount of ASA and ARTGO decals from the 70s and 80s, all the major Stars, and not just Trickles Mustang, but his 66 Fairlane and 68 Torino as well. He also has a lot of his later Camaros and Firebirds . He told me that he has multiple versions of Trickles Mustang and it's one of his most popular cars. He stuff is Alps printed and he gets $15 for two sheets for doubling. I'm looking forward to doing a Trickle A&W Mustang out of a Revell Mach 1 soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: