Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1973 Gran Torino resin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buildit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: 1973 Gran Torino resin Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I dreamed it, or if I've just totally lost it, but I could swear I had seen a resin nose for a '73 Gran Torino somewhere not that long ago. I've been searching all over the 'net and have come up empty. Anyone have any leads or ideas?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was on the old forum.....Tom M!!!! he'll know if they are still available.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those have been unavailable for a while. I think I gave my master to Bandit Resins a while back but if I did they haven't made it into molds yet. I think I heard that someone else might be doing a nose also but I don't have details.
Yellowsportwagon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smh hobbies has a 73. It’s nice they had one about 5 years ago that wasn’t great but this one is nice.
buildit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, guys. I had seen the '73 body on SMH, but I only need the nose. I have a formal-roof body to model a Gran Torino I used to have, but need a correct nose to do it right.

If anyone hears or sees something, keep me in mind!
Firefly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buildit wrote:
Thanks for the input, guys. I had seen the '73 body on SMH, but I only need the nose. I have a formal-roof body to model a Gran Torino I used to have, but need a correct nose to do it right.

If anyone hears or sees something, keep me in mind!

I'm curious about the formal roof body you have.
As you probably know, the '73 would need a flat hood. The JoHan/AMT '72 stocker erroneously came with one.
buildit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body I'm using isn't anything to get excited about. What I have is actually from Revell's Starsky & Hutch kit. It's pretty darn similar to the '73, but it's definitely going to require some reworking and scratch building to get it close. I'm not concerned about recreating my old car to the N-th degree... a reasonable representation is all I'm after, but I'd like to get closer on the nose and the rear end than the kit body.
Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buildit wrote:
The body I'm using isn't anything to get excited about. What I have is actually from Revell's Starsky & Hutch kit. It's pretty darn similar to the '73, but it's definitely going to require some reworking and scratch building to get it close. I'm not concerned about recreating my old car to the N-th degree... a reasonable representation is all I'm after, but I'd like to get closer on the nose and the rear end than the kit body.

For '74, Ford designers did a cool trick to incorporate the mandated 5mph bumper at the rear by replacing the '72/'73 bumper with large taillights and center valence, dropping the big bumper below it. If you've got a '72 kit available, you can use its rear bumper and lower valence. Not sure of the fit as I don't know if it has been attempted. You may need to taper up the lower rear quarter panels a bit, as the '74s came down a bit lower to meet the big bumper.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buildit wrote:
I just happen to have nabbed a Johan Torino and I grabbed the S&H kit a month or so back. My dad had a 1972 Gran Sport model.

Since google can't be trusted any further than you can toss a good sized monitor... If you can provide me a couple good photos of your car or at least what you're replicating, I'm sure I can help.
buildit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pretty crappy pic of the actual car, circa 1978, but it's the only one I've ever found of it. Ignore the fact that it has mags on the rear and stock wheel covers on the front. Let's just call it a "transitional situation"...

[img][/img]

These are a couple of pics I pulled from an internet search, just for reference:

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Any advice is appreciated!!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buildit wrote:
This is a pretty crappy pic of the actual car, circa 1978, but it's the only one I've ever found of it. Ignore the fact that it has mags on the rear and stock wheel covers on the front. Let's just call it a "transitional situation"...

[img][/img]

These are a couple of pics I pulled from an internet search, just for reference:

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Any advice is appreciated!!
Focusing on the nose clip itself and ignoring the obvious difference in the grille, I see a slight bit more forward cant to the clip. Comparing to the Stutsky and Hatch car, which has a near vertical grille and headlights. The forward portion of the grille surround tilts forward forcing the top of the grille outward. I see thicker chrome wing bars and thinner grille lip to compensate for the differences.

What I would do is add .020 sheet to the opening to extend the grille socket and sand it down to shape. Make larger wing bars and a new grille. You should be able to do it without removing the nose.

This is my first impression of the change. I'll look at it closer when I get caught up on a few things but it seems pretty straightforward.

buildit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me like the later grille has a sharper "V" shape when viewed from above, and that the center of the "V" of the nose extends out farther than the '73, which has a shallower angle. Kinda like the S&H has a bit more of a "beak" than the '73. Did that make sense?
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buildit wrote:
It looks to me like the later grille has a sharper "V" shape when viewed from above, and that the center of the "V" of the nose extends out farther than the '73, which has a shallower angle. Kinda like the S&H has a bit more of a "beak" than the '73. Did that make sense?
It made perfect sense. I believe what you're seeing though, is a trick of light and angle. I couldn't find a shot that matched the '73.
Firefly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buildit wrote:

Definitely more of a beak. And it's evident in the bumper as well.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
buildit wrote:

Definitely more of a beak. And it's evident in the bumper as well.
Yeah, I'm seeing it now. Follow the centerline down to the bumper on both and it's obvious the S&H has more peak to the beak. Not much but it's definitely there. The panel with the lettering is a little wider and the uprights either side are swept back.

Needs a nose job on the body shell proper, new grille, new bumper. I would blend the grille surround from the 72 Johan into the S&H kit. That will get you the proper shape and "F O R D" panel size. Then sand back the vertical sides to shape. The body mod should be pretty easy as well as the grill, using the one from the Johan 1972 kit. I planned on making a cast of the grille anyway, so I can make you the grille. I can fab the front bumper in an evening... maybe two if you need bumper guards.

The rear end should be easy as well.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay my Johan just arrived. Although it has the right depth and forward pitch to make an excellent swap, it is narrower than the '75 in the grille, though the fender edges match one to the other.

Too much to widen. At this point I'd go back to scratch plastic to modify the nose.
Yellowsportwagon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok everything forward of the hood except the headlight doors is different on a 73 than a 74-6. The header panel does not have as much peak. The grille is flatter and not as tall on a 73. The bumper is also way different. The 73 has almost no point to the middle and it does not dip down in the middle either. You can shorten the 74 grille and flatten it to make a 73 out of it. Add the horizontal bars and new edge trim. The header can be reshaped too. Just sand it flatter. Cut out the area under where the grille would sit to allow for the flatter grille. Then cut off both ends of the bumper and make a new center section. I Did exactly this to master the 73 that SMH sells. Then I grafted this to a Johan 72 fastback body. I spliced it on top of the frt wheelwells. It takes some work but can be done.
buildit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want you all to know how much I appreciate all of your input on this. That's one of the things I love about this site....so much knowledge, such great people! I don't post much here, but I was taught that we learn more by listening than by talking, and I'm always learning something.

It's going to be a while before I begin to tackle this build (going to be starting a full-on bathroom renovation this weekend, so there goes my free time!) so in the meantime I'm still going to be on the lookout for that rare, elusive, resin nose. Looking likely, though, that I'll be using much of the info presented here to modify and scratchbuild.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: