Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roof Rails, Shocks, and Wheels... Oh my!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Racer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Roof Rails, Shocks, and Wheels... Oh my! Reply with quote

So building an 80s Monte Carlo Monogram kit and I have a few questions I could you some guidance on.

A.) The dual shock per wheel set up is incorrect for my build as well so has anyone converted over to single shock per wheel and if so, how'd you accomplish it?

C.) Does anyone have any suggestions for better wheels or am I better off just sanding the backside of the kit wheels to have that see through look?

D.) I need to add roof rails to this build. Any pointers, tips suggestions on how to do this?

I have already gotten some killer tips from the FB page, NASCAR Model Nation for lowering the stance, dealing with the crazy headers, and some other small pointers as well but anything additional you might be willing to share we be very well valued so please, share away.

Sorry for the long post but just looking to get this thing as accurate as I have in me head. Any help, tips, pics, links to tutorials, etc would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
Sundance

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: I can help a little bit... Reply with quote

The roof rails are actually quite easy. I believe it is Evergreen plastic that has some L shaped plasic in several sizes. One is quite small. I am not home to look at the package for exact size. Cut to length, glue it on. I have done that on many models. Most hobby shops would have it or can get it.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1811/0745/files/Evergreen_Catalog_6518.pdf?5452568531351822094
On page 8, Either the smallest L shape or the T (cut off one side of the T) the t looks like it may come even smaller than the L shape.

I have been opening the wheel openings on the Monogram kits for years. Dremel (grind it) down close then use a hobby knife to finish it. Paint the inner wheel steel or your choice of metalic and done.

Never bothered with the single shock conversion. Making shocks from tube plastic or aluminum tube is easy as well. The only issue is where they would mount. On the front they would mount somewhere on the lower control arm and the upper on the front cage in engine bay. Back, would likely be on the differential near the trailing arm. Just had a thought. Look at a newer model kit has them mounted. Generaly location and mounts would be very similiar.

Hope this helps.
18degrees

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the single shock conversion, i have simply cut one off, but leave the base. That way you can still mount it like it’s supposed to... but you only have one shock.
Johnny Racer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are both great tips! Thank you. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: