Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need professional help! (body straightening)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: I need professional help! (body straightening) Reply with quote

I just got a Petty Charger I bought specifically for the body and hood as it has the original street trim.

Straightening styrene is something I never mastered. So if one of you out there is proficient in this PLEASE contact me.

I'll post shots of the body later, I'm too disgusted right now!
Mack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which Petty kit did you buy?
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
which Petty kit did you buy?
MPC 1973. Not sure why that matters? Does it have to do with the plastic itself?
Mack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never heard of the Polar Lights cars warping. I've opened a few of them and never saw that as being a problem. I have an original MPC Baker kit, and a Petty kit. I'll look at them tonight and let you know how they look. I've been told you can use rubber bands (several) to attach the body to a 2x6, or a similar rigid flat surface. The idea is to pull the bottom edges of the body flush to the rigid surface. Drop it in a sink of hot water and let it set. Tap water temp is fine. I have not tried this, but a pretty fair modeler informed me this was his fix of choice.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
I had never heard of the Polar Lights cars warping. I've opened a few of them and never saw that as being a problem. I have an original MPC Baker kit, and a Petty kit. I'll look at them tonight and let you know how they look. I've been told you can use rubber bands (several) to attach the body to a 2x6, or a similar rigid flat surface. The idea is to pull the bottom edges of the body flush to the rigid surface. Drop it in a sink of hot water and let it set. Tap water temp is fine. I have not tried this, but a pretty fair modeler informed me this was his fix of choice.
Well, I'll never voluntarily bring up the PL Charger. I've tried this method before and again, just can't seem to get a handle on it. After what I paid for the kit, I'd like someone who is used to doing this to fix it if they can. Kinda desperate about it.

Mack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Crap!!! That's awful. I wonder if had other stuff stacked on it? Can you get a refund? That looks to be an un built original. Man, that just plain bites. Let me check my body stash and see what I have. No promises.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get a half decent deal and yes, it wasn't shrink wrapped but everything inside was sealed and the decals are near perfect for their age. The seller did ask to see photos of the parts. The REALLY sucky part to this? These are the only two parts I needed from the kit and, NOT ONE OTHER PART is warped. Not one!

Whoever Murphy is.. I hate him AND his law!
Lionpride

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try dipping in a pan of near boiling water and reshaping it. I have never seen a body that bad.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try, placing the interior tub from the street machine along with an AMT chassis under it. With a straight hood forced in place it left the body slightly twisted.

My plan, was to set it on the package shelf of my car and check it every few minutes. I know this will soften and sometimes obliterate a car (Again, don't ask how, just be glad I did the research. NEVER put a model car on the package shelf of your real car and leave it alone!) Where was I? Oh yeah..

So I was going to wait until it softened jut a bit, twist it into shape on the wider AMT chassis and then dip it quick in some cold water. BUT, when I got up this morning not only had the seller accepted my return request, he contacted me to apologize!! Shocked

So this little blue Dodge is on it's way back. I just need to find a new body and hood.

Thanks to those of you who offered ideas.
Mack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did find an original issue MPC Petty Charger stock car body, with sheet metal detail,. Was built, came apart very nice. Has the remnant of the kit glass still glued inside on the underside of the roof. About a 1/4 inch piece. Other than that it's nice. Also have the red K&K Baker body. Stock body, slightly bent a-pillar post. PM me if you have any interest in either. No hurry on my end.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
I did find an original issue MPC Petty Charger stock car body, with sheet metal detail,. Was built, came apart very nice. Has the remnant of the kit glass still glued inside on the underside of the roof. About a 1/4 inch piece. Other than that it's nice. Also have the red K&K Baker body. Stock body, slightly bent a-pillar post. PM me if you have any interest in either. No hurry on my end.
Mack, that's a really kind offer, thank you! I have another body on the way, I just need to locate a flat hood (with or without pins) Thanks to all of you who tried to help.
john843

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AtW, Sitting here with a flat hood (no pins) in my hand. PM me an address and I'll get it off to you tomorrow morning.
It looks like someone started to sand it YEARS AGO, but with a super-fine (1000 grit or better) sandpaper. The windsplit and cowl details are perfect but the hood pins appear to have been sanded off. I ran across a box of MPC Petty Charger and Yarborough Chevelle parts that I didn't know I still had while looking for something else recently. If this will help you, you're welcome to it. Have really enjoyed your bodywork WIPs.

John
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM incoming.
joe b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam i've had that problem before too, not as bad, but i ran the offending area under hot water a few minutes and then twisted it back into shape. it will take a few times to get it right. then when you get it where u want it quickly run it under cold water to set it.

joe
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe b wrote:
adam i've had that problem before too, not as bad, but i ran the offending area under hot water a few minutes and then twisted it back into shape. it will take a few times to get it right. then when you get it where u want it quickly run it under cold water to set it.

joe
Thank you Joe. The seller graciously accepted a return and contacted me to apologize, so the kit is back with him. I myself have never seen one that bad that wasn't blowtorched. If I ever wind up with one like that again I might give it a try, but as I've said, it never turns out for me. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: