Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Donor chassis for resin 1/25 NASCAR Mercury Montego body?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tko24

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Donor chassis for resin 1/25 NASCAR Mercury Montego body? Reply with quote

Looking for some help with this. I've mostly only built 1/24 Monogram 80's and 90's NASCAR kits I have a few 1970's 1/25 NASCAR resin bodies that I've decided to finally start on. The first one I'd like to start on is a resin NASCAR 1976 Mercury Montego. What kit should I buy to use as a donor chassis for this build? And will it require modifications to use with that resin body? I'm planning a 1976 David Pearson. And one other question, I'm also going to start the 1/25 MPC Pepsi Chevy Chevelle kit, should I use the chassis in the kit, or would another kit's chassis work better for that one. I'm only asking because it seems to me that I read somewhere that the chassis in the Pepsi Chevelle kit wasn't that good? I'm planning to use 1/25 PPP tires on both kits. I'm not just looking for a good fit to both bodies but an accurate look and stance to the completed kits. I know very little about 1970's NASCAR tech. Thanks in advance for any help with these two builds.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Donor chassis for resin 1/25 NASCAR Mercury Montego body Reply with quote

tko24 wrote:
Looking for some help with this. I've mostly only built 1/24 Monogram 80's and 90's NASCAR kits I have a few 1970's 1/25 NASCAR resin bodies that I've decided to finally start on. The first one I'd like to start on is a resin NASCAR 1976 Mercury Montego. What kit should I buy to use as a donor chassis for this build? And will it require modifications to use with that resin body? I'm planning a 1976 David Pearson. And one other question, I'm also going to start the 1/25 MPC Pepsi Chevy Chevelle kit, should I use the chassis in the kit, or would another kit's chassis work better for that one. I'm only asking because it seems to me that I read somewhere that the chassis in the Pepsi Chevelle kit wasn't that good? I'm planning to use 1/25 PPP tires on both kits. I'm not just looking for a good fit to both bodies but an accurate look and stance to the completed kits. I know very little about 1970's NASCAR tech. Thanks in advance for any help with these two builds.
I would start with a '76 Torino chassis for the Mercury. Almost any resin body will need some modification in some way. they never just drop right on. Resin sands and cuts much easier than styrene so keep that in mind.

The chassis in the MPC kit was complete crap and about as accurate as a Gremlin with a shaker hood. That said, The AMT Malibu chassis is an excellent fit with minor tweakage to the wheel wells. Cut down the rears, remove the fronts. You'll use the engine cage from the MPC kit under the hood, the Malibu cage under the body.

So far this has worked for me.
Firefly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Ford and Chevy 70s cars, my choice for donor chassis would be the AMT '90s Tbird. That's what I used for my Woods '76 Pearson car. At the time of those cars you looking into, most chassis were fabricated, and included long trailing arms at the rear. You'll need to work on the cage bars a bit to fit, particularly around the a-pillars.

Last edited by Firefly on Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what it was mastered from. Most of those 1/25 scale Montegos and Cougars were mastered from the old MPC '73 Cougar. The '73 and earlier Cougars in 1:1 were all built on a Mustang chassis with a little bit of wheelbase added to justify a higher price point. They're still smaller and narrower than the '72 and up Montegos and '74 and up Cougars. My go-to for that era of NASCAR is the AMT Thunderbird NASCAR kit, it comes with a scale 110" wheelbase and I just stretch it to whatever length I need. 110" is pretty close to the stock '73 Cougar kit though, so depending on how accurately the resin was modified the AMT NASCAR chassis might be pretty close as-is.
tko24

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I have about a half dozen of the NASCAR AMT early 90's Thunderbird kits. I guess I'll build one of those chassis's for the 76 resin Montego body. I might try another one for the Pepsi Chevelle kit.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tko24 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I have about a half dozen of the NASCAR AMT early 90's Thunderbird kits. I guess I'll build one of those chassis's for the 76 resin Montego body...

Which resin Montego do you have?
I managed to get the SMH version close to accurate. If you have that one I can share some tips.
Yellowsportwagon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to jamb an AMT TBird chassis under the SMH Montegoish body. Wasn’t easy. If you have a Bandit Resins body a TBird chassis stretched fits beautiful.
tko24

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
tko24 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I have about a half dozen of the NASCAR AMT early 90's Thunderbird kits. I guess I'll build one of those chassis's for the 76 resin Montego body...

Which resin Montego do you have?
I managed to get the SMH version close to accurate. If you have that one I can share some tips.

Yeah it is the SMH version, I'd appreciate to get any tips on how you built it and any mods you did to fit that chassis.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tko24 wrote:

Yeah it is the SMH version, I'd appreciate to get any tips on how you built it and any mods you did to fit that chassis.

Firstly, I expanded the body width and length by:
sawing off the rear edge right before it drops down (about where the tailights start at the quarter panel; sawing the center of the body from about a half inch behind the windshield, back all the way through the roof and trunk, spreading the body apart about a quarter inch and filling with styrene; sawing the rear section removed earlier, in the center, widening the same amount. I extended the rear section a bit by filling in between the rear section and the rest of the body with two part epoxy.

The lower side body was widened by cutting along the 'character line' and bending out, using epoxy to reinforce from the inside. (the resin is tricky to score/bend due to its nature, so be careful here).

I enlarged the rear window best I could. I corrected the shape of the side windows by grinding/filling.

You'll see by the pics I got the amt chassis to fit, and due to the slightly smaller size of the SMH body, the wheelbase matched up pretty well.

Also, I used the AMT wheels, which are correct for this car. PPP tires.

I have no pics of the mods in progress, but here it is in primer after the mods.

The end product is really a scale closer to 1/25.5 or 1/26, but I am satisfied with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: