Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bobby Allison '81 Pontiac LeMans Resin Body Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BW

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Bobby Allison '81 Pontiac LeMans Resin Body Question Reply with quote

I've been playing around testing fitting the Bobby Allison '81 Pontiac LeMans resin body I purchased from Mike's.

Looks like any of the '80s era Monogram chassis will fit with very little difficulty or mods. My question is for anyone who has built this car which Monogram donor did you use? Particularly the windows seem to be the biggest issue. Although I know any of the Monogram chassis will fit I can't seem to find any glass that will. Front windshield or back window glass.

Suggestions please!

[img]

[img]

Thanks!
Bobby
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used that particular body but most of those resins looked to be converted from a Monogram Regal or Grand Prix. The problem with resin is that you get shrinkage with the rubber mold material and shrinkage with the resin so you might have to massage the kit glass with a file around the edges. In the back you're on your own, most people who master a LeMans, Grand Am Sportsman car, or Malibu use the Monogram Citation X-11 kit for the rear window area and rear deck but clear sheet acetate should work because it's pretty flat.
R.J.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have built 2 of those and used the monogram Buick. My memory is not great but it seems I used the windshield from the Buick kits and made the rear windows from my junk glass parts.
stewrtfan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.J. wrote:
I have built 2 of those and used the monogram Buick. My memory is not great but it seems I used the windshield from the Buick kits and made the rear windows from my junk glass parts.

The Buick glass is a perfect fit, worked fine for mine.
BW

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses. Any of the Monogram Buick Regals or '80s "Flat-Back" Monte Carlos windshields fit perfect! As far as the back glass, I was able to find one from my spares box that fit after some grinding and sanding. No idea where it came from. Good to go! Will be a project in the near future. Thanks again!
Bobby
LilRedDave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that turned out great. Those decals look crisp.
BW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave! Those Powerslide decals are some of the best I've ever seen and used! I was really worried about the yellow/red demarcation stripes that goes between the black and silver but they laid down great and fit perfect. The chrome foil numbers really look good. All the decals were in perfect scale for the resin body. Whoever designed them really did their homework!
Bobby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: