Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bobby Allison's '64 Chevelle LMS w/Truck and Open Trailer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BW

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Bobby Allison's '64 Chevelle LMS w/Truck and Open Trailer Reply with quote

When I was a young'un, traveling to the races at Birmingham International Raceway (BIR) was always made extra special whenever one of the race teams would pull up next to you at a red light entering the speedway. Lots of good memories seeing Bobby, or Donnie, or Red, or Neil entering the pit gates before a big night of racing. This was the inspiration for this build.

There has always been controversy concerning this particular Chevelle as to why or if it was really painted yellow on top and the trunk and not the usual metallic gold. Last October (2017), the Monday after the Talladega weekend, Bobby, Donnie, Red, Eddie Allison and a bunch of the old racers from BIR were in Birmingham for a fund raising event. I attended and in my discussions with the Alabama Gang, Eddie (Bobby's and Donnie's brother who built a lot of the cars out of the Hueytown shop) was the only one who remembered why the car was yellow not gold. Eddie told me that they built the car for a customer and the car was already nicely painted the yellow so they just painted the sides red and put the Coca-Cola decals on it since Bobby was going to drive it a few times and get all the bugs worked out of it before sending it to the customer. Mystery solved! Saw Bobby drive this car a few times at BIR and I always wondered why it was yellow and not gold. The photos I've seen of this car has Tommy Howe on the sides so I'm assuming the customer was Tommy. I always thought the '64 Chevelle made one the better looking race cars.

The real thing:
[img]

Race car is a Revell '65 Chevelle kit converted to a '64 using SMH '64 Chevelle grill, hood, and bumpers. The trailer is an AMT Display Case Trailer modified using Evergreen rod and sheets. The pick-up truck is an AMT '72 Chevy Cheyenne. The tools and accessories are from Monogram and Fujimi pit tools. I added details using craft wire and Evergreen plastic. The chain is from L.Z. Models. Decals are mostly Powerslide and I made the correct for 1972 Alabama license plates.
[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

Couldn't resist putting on an "Alabama Gang" plate.
[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

Some of the decals I applied were from a 46 year old memory from when I was a kid so they may not be 100% correct. These old race cars were raced HARD and so the lettering and sponsors were changed/updated quite often. In other words, there is no right or wrong.

Had a blast building this! Lot of work over the past months but I finally have a race car on an open trailer (with a pick-up truck) in my collection. Thanks for looking!
Bobby
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. I love all the xtras in the trailer and truck bed.
Lee "Spud" Lo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again you are my hero Bobby. Great job.
FallsCity48

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby, another masterpiece!
Keep'em coming & thanks for the history... as I too can relate to
racing memories which are etched in my mind only.
Mack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's another stunner Bobby. Man you do some beautiful stuff.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a fantastic set. I did the 65-64 conversion too and I know its not as easy as one might imagine.
R.J.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing That is nice!
socal76

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby, very nice build on the entire set.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job!!! Loved the parts in the pick up bed of the truck. Reminds me of the good old days of going to Cherokee Speedway.
Bill
67chevelle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is one clean and beautiful build love the attention to detail!!!!Jeffro.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY nice combo build!!!

Great job on the Chevelle
Pick-up's very nice as well....!!

Cool
Cool
Cool
Cool
Cool
Henryjint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done!!!
Jim N

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work as usual Bobby. Really outstanding!
CRANMAN1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy NICE!!!
arca guy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Here are photos of the car from up north and it also ran Heidelberg in PA.

Last edited by arca guy on Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lionpride

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an awesome looking pair. You really nailed the car and I love the accessories in the pickup. I bet you have a lot of hours in this.

Don
LilRedDave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Howe was the son of Durr Howe, a BA mechanic. Nice looking build. Pics were from Catamount. Richie Panch also drove a yellow Chevelle that was built by the Allisons. Car and pics are most often mis-identified as Bobby. [/img]
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a really sweet pair of builds!!! I can tell the builds are truly from your heart, it shows!!! Thanks so much for sharing with all of us.
TG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story and outstanding builds. I always enjoy your knowledge of the Allisons and your excellent work on the cars.
Irish Murphy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!! I love it.
Odilon74

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bobby Allison's '64 Chevelle LMS w/Truck and Open Traile Reply with quote

BW wrote:
When I was a young'un, traveling to the races at Birmingham International Raceway (BIR) was always made extra special whenever one of the race teams would pull up next to you at a red light entering the speedway. Lots of good memories seeing Bobby, or Donnie, or Red, or Neil entering the pit gates before a big night of racing. This was the inspiration for this build.

There has always been controversy concerning this particular Chevelle as to why or if it was really painted yellow on top and the trunk and not the usual metallic gold. Last October (2017), the Monday after the Talladega weekend, Bobby, Donnie, Red, Eddie Allison and a bunch of the old racers from BIR were in Birmingham for a fund raising event. I attended and in my discussions with the Alabama Gang, Eddie (Bobby's and Donnie's brother who built a lot of the cars out of the Hueytown shop) was the only one who remembered why the car was yellow not gold. Eddie told me that they built the car for a customer and the car was already nicely painted the yellow so they just painted the sides red and put the Coca-Cola decals on it since Bobby was going to drive it a few times and get all the bugs worked out of it before sending it to the customer. Mystery solved! Saw Bobby drive this car a few times at BIR and I always wondered why it was yellow and not gold. The photos I've seen of this car has Tommy Howe on the sides so I'm assuming the customer was Tommy. I always thought the '64 Chevelle made one the better looking race cars.

The real thing:
[img]

Race car is a Revell '65 Chevelle kit converted to a '64 using SMH '64 Chevelle grill, hood, and bumpers. The trailer is an AMT Display Case Trailer modified using Evergreen rod and sheets. The pick-up truck is an AMT '72 Chevy Cheyenne. The tools and accessories are from Monogram and Fujimi pit tools. I added details using craft wire and Evergreen plastic. The chain is from L.Z. Models. Decals are mostly Powerslide and I made the correct for 1972 Alabama license plates.
[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

Couldn't resist putting on an "Alabama Gang" plate.
[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

[img]

Some of the decals I applied were from a 46 year old memory from when I was a kid so they may not be 100% correct. These old race cars were raced HARD and so the lettering and sponsors were changed/updated quite often. In other words, there is no right or wrong.
transfers paris airports
Had a blast building this! Lot of work over the past months but I finally have a race car on an open trailer (with a pick-up truck) in my collection. Thanks for looking!
Bobby

well done
Toys4Don

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice set of models. Reminds me of the old days at Beltsville MD and Manassas VA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: