Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MPC Petty 1/25 Plymouth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nengelman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: MPC Petty 1/25 Plymouth Reply with quote

I recently acquired an unbuilt MPC Petty Plymouth, (for a reasonable price, too!) The hood is flat, but in all of the reference material I have come across for Plymouth's of this era, it appears that the hood should have an indentation near the leading edge. Is the kit supplied hood correct? If not, I am not aware of any 1/25 Plymouths that could provide a donor hood and don't recall seeing anything available in resin. Have I overlooked anything? Thanks for any help!

Neal
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: MPC Petty 1/25 Plymouth Reply with quote

nengelman wrote:
I recently acquired an unbuilt MPC Petty Plymouth, (for a reasonable price, too!) The hood is flat, but in all of the reference material I have come across for Plymouth's of this era, it appears that the hood should have an indentation near the leading edge. Is the kit supplied hood correct? If not, I am not aware of any 1/25 Plymouths that could provide a donor hood and don't recall seeing anything available in resin. Have I overlooked anything? Thanks for any help!

Neal
The MPC Petty Plymouth hood is indeed incorrect. There are resin cast hoods available. This is the hood the car should have.

If you look at the photo on the box, you'll see the ridged details are missing there too.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. You can make your own by removing the air grabber section of another kit hood and replacing it with sheet plastic.
nengelman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick reply! Do you recall the source of any of the resin hoods?
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nengelman wrote:
Thank you for the quick reply! Do you recall the source of any of the resin hoods?

Yes. I believe T.M. resins and Missing Link both make them. I was making them for a while but I'd need to pull a new mold for it. Let me look and see if I have a leftover laying around here and I'll get back at you.
Blackj3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting this project too.

Do you guys use the kit chassis? Is a decal sheet available for the cloth pattern for the seat?
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackj3 wrote:
I'm starting this project too.

Do you guys use the kit chassis? Is a decal sheet available for the cloth pattern for the seat?

I don't. I use the AMT Roadrunner or Charger chassis. There are checkered pattern decals out there but I'm not sure if any of them match perfectly. You might be able to print them yourself on some white decal paper.
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
nengelman wrote:

Yes. I believe T.M. resins and Missing Link both make them. I was making them for a while but I'd need to pull a new mold for it. Let me look and see if I have a leftover laying around here and I'll get back at you.

Are they still in business? Close up pic of the correct hood?
BW

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart's Parts also makes the correct hood.

Here's the link:
https://hartspartsresin.com/product/71-plymouth-satellite-hood/

Hope this helps. BTW, I'm currently building a '71 Plymouth in the #9 Pete Hamilton Housby Mack Trucks scheme from the '73 Daytona 500. I'm using the 1/24 scale Revell street version kit and converting it to a nascar conversion.

Bobby
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is actually the 1/24th scale version for Revellogram. I'll be pouring some molds this week for some Olds 442 replacement bumpers, I'll make a mold of my Plymouth hood at the same time. Hold tight.
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BW wrote:
Hart's Parts also makes the correct hood.

Here's the link:
https://hartspartsresin.com/product/71-plymouth-satellite-hood/

Hope this helps. BTW, I'm currently building a '71 Plymouth in the #9 Pete Hamilton Housby Mack Trucks scheme from the '73 Daytona 500. I'm using the 1/24 scale Revell street version kit and converting it to a nascar conversion.

Bobby

Thanks Bobby, I have those hoods, his products rock. Love his wedge headers!!! Just wanted to be sure that I was on the correct page. I've done that build as well, except mine was the Petty version. Modified all of the various kits incorrect hoods, would like an easier approach to these old builds, in my old age. That '71 Plymouth kit is a sweet base to build off of. Looking forward to following your build, you continue to amaze me with your builds!!!
Blackj3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys.

I bought the correct hood on ebay. It may be a Missing Link part.
I have an AMT Charger for the chassis.

If anybody has advice on this build, please share. This is my first attempt at a Darkside build.
odcics2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the wrong hood look like??
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

odcics2 wrote:
Whats the wrong hood look like??
The hood in the MPC Petty RR kit is completely flat. No ridge detail, just hood pins. It was made that way due to a poor copy of the photo on the box.
odcics2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a 71 Road Runner promo car.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Plymouth-Road-Runner-Tournament-of-Roses-Parade-Dealer-Promotional-Car/292645790091?hash=item44230c618b%3Ag%3Ayb4AAOSw2cNalFJk%3Asc%3AUSPSParcel%2148317%21US%21-1&_sacat=0&_nkw=1971+road+runner+promo&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

They had the "air grabber" hood, which is a standard Satellite hood with a raised fiberglass section in the middle. The standard RR hood had 2 large scallops in it. Petty tested in late Nivember, 1970 at Daytona with a RR hood on the car, but went faster with a standard flat Satellite hood.

Just wondering what was going on at MPC to make a mistake on the race car version...
I guess when they removed the air grabber, the other details were also lost.
The 1972 MPC promo car has the standard RR hood.

Those old promo cars are the most accurate examples of the cars. MPC and Johan used blueprints from the factory to make them.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

odcics2 wrote:
Here's a 71 Road Runner promo car.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Plymouth-Road-Runner-Tournament-of-Roses-Parade-Dealer-Promotional-Car/292645790091?hash=item44230c618b%3Ag%3Ayb4AAOSw2cNalFJk%3Asc%3AUSPSParcel%2148317%21US%21-1&_sacat=0&_nkw=1971+road+runner+promo&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

They had the "air grabber" hood, which is a standard Satellite hood with a raised fiberglass section in the middle. The standard RR hood had 2 large scallops in it. Petty tested in late Nivember, 1970 at Daytona with a RR hood on the car, but went faster with a standard flat Satellite hood.

Just wondering what was going on at MPC to make a mistake on the race car version...
I guess when they removed the air grabber, the other details were also lost.
The 1972 MPC promo car has the standard RR hood.

Those old promo cars are the most accurate examples of the cars. MPC and Johan used blueprints from the factory to make them.
When MPC did the generic race kits, they pulled the bodies for the Chargers and Roadrunners directly from the annuals line. Exterior details for the cars such as decals, their placement and body details, were all gleaned from reference photos. One only needs to look to the reference photo used for the box lid to guess where the details went. They used the Satellite hood and removed the side facing "vents", then added the hood pins.

This is the photo in question:

odcics2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy to see that with the sun directly overhead, the hood styling features can't be seen.

They would have had to use other angles to get other details of the car, according to my buddy that worked at MPC.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done!
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: MPC Petty Roadrunner Reply with quote

I just wish round two would just simply come out with a proper 1970 style fabricated Petty Mopar chassis being since they have 2 complete rulings of the 71 charger as well as whatever is left of the 71 Roadrunner tooling also new tooling of a 70 Superbird would be nice and before anybody brings it up they need to sink the polar lights charger tooling to the bottom of the Pacific Ocean!Waiting two years for that kit come out was unbearable and then to open the box and find a Chinese copy of the extremely flawed MPC 16 scale charger was beyond disappointing and the time is right to come out with a proper Mopar NASCAR kit. A lot of what's in the kit car reissues is correct for Kit bashing one together and that's a project I may start soon using one of my glue bomb MPC 72 Roadrunner bodies or a competition resins reproduction and just to make the statement the only thing that would be correct out of the AMT 71 charger chassis would be the floor pan but I need to finish some other projects first like now that I'm almost done cleaning the Flash off the AMT/ polar lights Bobby Allison cyclone took me 15 years to buy because of that charger!
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: MPC Petty Roadrunner Reply with quote

if anybody wants some great history and pictures of 71 and 72 Petty roadrunners and chargers go to www.mopardealer.com I wish I could post them here myself I just don't have the technical capability....lol!
afx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to the Petty page: http://mopardealer.com/petty.htm
bangor boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see how the front wheel wells get opened up at the top as the season goes on.

Pre-Daytona and Daytona:

Later in the season (not sure where):

And this one clearly shows off the 'hockey stick' shaped indentations:

Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: MPC Petty Roadrunner Reply with quote

Don't you love the graphics on the hood of the 72 Roadrunner? I wish powerslide or somebody would make a decal of that it would definitely help make the flat Hood look better and I can tell you from personal experience they trying to convert that hood over to the hockey sticks or whatever you want to call them is a pain in the butt and I really don't know how much work to convert a monogram Hood to an MPC body is going to be but I do know I ruined an MPC Roadrunner air Grabber Hood years ago
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Monogram hood can be easily sanded to fit, it's the air grabber hump that's the issue. I have a resin conversion hood and there are some available on ebay.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: MPC Petty Roadrunner Reply with quote

We will be in touch soon my big concern with the monogram hood is if doesn't match the top of the fenders at the Cowl is anybody on here doing resin replacement bumpers and tail light panels?
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have replacement bumpers for the '72 rear and both styles of front. PM me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: