Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Revell Pro Finish Dodge Daytona 2 n 1 Oct 2018 release?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rod "Statsman"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Revell Pro Finish Dodge Daytona 2 n 1 Oct 2018 release? Reply with quote

This looks interesting.

https://www.modelroundup.com/product-p/rmx-4413.htm
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither fish nor foul.
Out of the box not a great Cup car. Some good parts......but tires are very skinny and adding correct tires requires tons of work due to wheel wells. It is a good body....some racing parts......but not a home run.
BTW the real car Revell used as a prototype was a neighbor of mine in North Carolina.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That box art sows a window net and more interior roll bars than the original pro Modeler issue. Either they flubbed on the box art or they have added some new parts. ?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With NO ONE at Revell to ask any more.....someone will have to buy one for us to see....
country modeler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Revell Germany has opened a US office again.

http://www.finescale.com/online-extras/extra-articles/2018/09/revell-usa-is-back
odcics2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one Daytona that I know of had the extra bar that runs from the pass side upper "A" pillar down to the inner torsion bar reinforcement on the floorpan.
LilRedDave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one Greg?

I believe this is the same chassis at Daytona in '70 as a '69 Coronet/Super Bee

Thinking it was a '67 Petty car. Pretty sure it is the chassis John Sears ended up with as well.

Not sure what the history on the Negre Charger is, Norman had mentioned in on Twitter that it had been a Daytona at some point. Do you know any history on this one?
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LilRedDave wrote:
This one Greg?

I believe this is the same chassis at Daytona in '70 as a '69 Coronet/Super Bee

Thinking it was a '67 Petty car. Pretty sure it is the chassis John Sears ended up with as well.

Not sure what the history on the Negre Charger is, Norman had mentioned in on Twitter that it had been a Daytona at some point. Do you know any history on this one?

The Coronet is a totally different car. Note the location of the A post bar on the right side, characteristic of Petty builds from '64-'67 or thereabouts. The Pettys never ran that bar down to the torsion bar crossmember prior to the early '70s, they typically ran it down to the lower left corner of the main cage hoop (one reason the Petty main hoops tended to be installed with the rear further back that the top of the hoop, I think they also may have been tieing them into the front spring perches).

This photo shows just how far inboard the A post bar was on those mid '60s Petty cars, and shows the general location and path of the Petty bar.

LilRedDave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking after looking at the Coronet again to Tom. Have you see another builder place that bar there?

Better shot of Soapy's car at Riverside before the 500

Jabe's Petty car which was a '68 when he got it, chassis may have been older.
[/img]

I had wondered if the green #88 Brickhouse drove towards the end of '69 had the torsion bar reinforcement. Too far out to be a vent window. Hard to find good pics. Here at the '69 National 500

Can faintly see something there at Rockingham in '69
LilRedDave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Superbird with the torsion bar mount support bar as well. Dick Brooks at Charlotte in '70. I remember an article where he mentioned that he bought this car directly from Nichels whereas his previous Road Runner was from Mario Rossi.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Castles Coronet is the same car John Sears had for a while painted Panther Pink, by the way.
JWVD5953

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the same kit as the 70 Revell Superbird? Or does it have
more parts geared for the racing version? I put one on my wish
list, if they do release them in January I will definitely pick one up.
I need this and a '68 Roadrunner to complete my Petty builds. Just
curious, what Roadrunner did Richard crash at Darlington in May of
1970? I know it was a short track car but what was the year of the
car? That 1970 race was on my 17th birthday.---John
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superbird is 1/24
Daytona is 1/25 they share zero parts. The Daytona is a partial race kit....kinda gives you a place to start. Pretty much the same kit that was issued late 1990's.
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary66 wrote:
That box art sows a window net and more interior roll bars than the original pro Modeler issue. Either they flubbed on the box art or they have added some new parts. ?

I agree with Gary66, just looked at the original kit, lacking a huge amount of racing parts, body is workable, engine decent, with wedge shaped air cleaner, but for two four barrel carbs, tires/wheels useless, and in my opinion would need a ton of racing goodies to even get close. it would be awesome if we actually DID get the correct racing versions of both the Super Bird, and the Daytona. Until then, it's a kit bash deluxe, deep spares box, plastic tubing/bars, decent scratch building talent, good reference materials, and lots of patience. BTW, to be accurate, you'll need to either scratch build the front hoop, and shock setup, or use the Polar Lights Petty car front hoop/shock setup on whatever chassis you choose to build off of. At least for me,that's been my experience with my MoPar race builds, your mileage may vary.
JWVD5953

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree.....right now I have nada....zip. At least this will give me a starting point. Then I can dig through any threads or the wingcar build here to help me with modifications.---John
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Revell Daytona October release Reply with quote

The novice Builder needs to understand that to convert one of the Revell Chargers into an accurate replica of a Grand National Car you looking at everything from the firewall forward pretty much needs to get some pretty heavy work and the only part on my 68 K&K charger( Goin to be the most famous car on here when I'm done with it )that's not modified is the tire rod, and I don't have my motor mounts done yet so I don't even know if I'm going to have to do something with that as well. The biggest thing is replacing the frame rails. Not modifying, but replacing them all together. You also have to cut the floor in between the frame rails ahead of the torsion bar crossmember because once you lower the frame rails and K frame, your torsion bars won't line up with the crossmember. Have fun! I suggest read all the posts about the similar cars on here particularly the wing car sticky, but this is not a project for a beginner.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until someone gets one of these and cracks it open, we won't know if it's the same as the original (meaning misleading box art) OR if they have updated the chassis to include a more full roll cage and safety net.
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary66 wrote:
Until someone gets one of these and cracks it open, we won't know if it's the same as the original (meaning misleading box art) OR if they have updated the chassis to include a more full roll cage and safety net.

Yep, you are so correct. However if it's based off the original kit, which it just about has to be, it'd have to be a total make over to get even remotely close to the REAL racing version. As is, it's a street car, in wolf's skin, and a very thin skin at that. We will see.
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Revell Daytona October release Reply with quote

Bobby The Cabdriver wrote:
The novice Builder needs to understand that to convert one of the Revell Chargers into an accurate replica of a Grand National Car you looking at everything from the firewall forward pretty much needs to get some pretty heavy work and the only part on my 68 K&K charger( Goin to be the most famous car on here when I'm done with it )that's not modified is the tire rod, and I don't have my motor mounts done yet so I don't even know if I'm going to have to do something with that as well. The biggest thing is replacing the frame rails. Not modifying, but replacing them all together. You also have to cut the floor in between the frame rails ahead of the torsion bar crossmember because once you lower the frame rails and K frame, your torsion bars won't line up with the crossmember. Have fun! I suggest read all the posts about the similar cars on here particularly the wing car sticky, but this is not a project for a beginner.

I agree 100%, as the k-member, front suspension, and front section of the chassis frame on the race version is absolutely nothing like the street version. Looks to me that the easiest way for a novice modeler to get there from here, is to simply put the Polar Lights Charger chassis under the Pro Modeler Daytona body. Even with all its faults the PLs Charger is the most accurate MoPar racing game going, and will still require lengthening the frame coming off the firewall, to fit the Daytona kit body's wheel base, with a few other mods to get a CLOSE representation of a REAL race version of the Daytona. It wont be 100% correct, but close, and easier for a novice builder to attempt. Just my take on it after looking at all the MoPar kits you could use to do this build.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Revell Daytona October release Reply with quote

Something everybody has to keep in mind is a lot of Daytona's were reskinned earlier cars with wet sumps, much more like the 66/67 cars in the "a long time fan finally joins"post. Very different then the dry sump car in the sticky or the pl charger. Two very different setups. And I think we can pretty much forget that there's going to be a single part different in the Box, I just purchased the latest release of the Black Widow 57 Chevy and it says in ink on the top side of the chassis,ZhongShan..... anybody speak Chinese? LOL! At least we know who owns Revell now.... and this kit is over 2 months late coming out, let's hope the morons in Charlotte and Florida aren't trying to screw the new owners out of a bunch of Licensing money. Because if they are we might not ever see this kit.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Revell Daytona October release Reply with quote

Never As Scrupulous Concerned American Racefans
odcics2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only major difference between the 66-7 and 68, then 69-70 dry sump is the crossmember and some changes in the engine bars, shock attachment.

The actual frame rails are the same, being welded along the stock upper inboard edges and the pinch welds trimmed off.
Firewalls are the pretty close to the same from 68 to 70, even between wet and dry sump set ups.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Revell Daytona October release Reply with quote

Exactly, different mounting of shock absorbers, the engine is lower relative to the frame rails and most of all a fabricated crossmember instead of a modified stock crossmember. I found something of Interest, go to the Petty's garage page on YouTube, w t w E17 72 Charger update. They show in detail the fabrication and mounting of the horseshoe motor mount on the same car from Mopar dealer. (Buddy's 71 charger) that the Petty's now possess. Obviously you also get a real good look at the whole engine compartment. I hope that they do restore this car to the original configuration, i e White with red numbers(#11) and a flat Hood, but everybody knows how concerned they are with accuracy.
Recon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question from a average builder, will this kit look like a Dodge Daytona with some NASCAR decals on it?
I am not into the total accuracy of the model.
Thank you
Mike
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Revell Daytona October release Reply with quote

The problem with all the Revell Chargers is that they sit like gassers with the front end way up in the air. If you're not into total accuracy, or engine and front end detail, you could assemble the front of the car without any of the front end parts
and drill right through the engine compartment and glue the hood closed. There's nothing wrong with a nicely done curbside. Performance Racing Products sells Wheels that comes with wheel backs for metal axles and they also sell matching tires. The only real work you'd have to do is reshaping the fender well openings.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with a nicely done curbside.

Amen to that!!!
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: K&K 68 Charger chassis and interior colors Reply with quote

I think something that might frighten a lot of people is how some of us get to talkin about very specific details of these cars. It's not about rivet Counting to me, it's about the history. An example would be, that many of the aftermarket decal manufacturers include Hood pin decals on their sheets. I personally would rather drill holes in my hoods and deck lids and use Hood pins from early monogram NASCAR kits. Some people would rather use Photo etched multi-part kits complete with leynard cables and pins installed as per NASCAR spec. The history is a lock. It's why we are so interested in these cars , these drivers and the particular era that they raced in. Never forget, it's not just about building perfect replicas. It's about the history that inspires us to build the best replica possible that our time, money and skill will let us. So don't be frightened, by our deep discussions about who built what. I will never be the model builder some of you guys on here are but it doesn't stop me from enjoying my hobby.
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: K&K 68 Charger chassis and interior colors Reply with quote

Bobby The Cabdriver wrote:
I think something that might frighten a lot of people is how some of us get to talkin about very specific details of these cars. It's not about rivet Counting to me, it's about the history. An example would be, that many of the aftermarket decal manufacturers include Hood pin decals on their sheets. I personally would rather drill holes in my hoods and deck lids and use Hood pins from early monogram NASCAR kits. Some people would rather use Photo etched multi-part kits complete with leynard cables and pins installed as per NASCAR spec. The history is a lock. It's why we are so interested in these cars , these drivers and the particular era that they raced in. Never forget, it's not just about building perfect replicas. It's about the history that inspires us to build the best replica possible that our time, money and skill will let us. So don't be frightened, by our deep discussions about who built what. I will never be the model builder some of you guys on here are but it doesn't stop me from enjoying my hobby.

I think it's all of that, and up to each individual as to how much, or less detail they'd like to incorporate into their own build. We will never be able to build an EXACT scale replica because of scale/casting/physical constraints anyway. It's all a personal choice as to how far we want to go with our builds. In the end, it's all about enjoyment, history, pleasure, satisfaction, or whatever each individual is looking to achieve. As Blake McNeely, a very dear friend of mine would say, "doesn't matter what everybody else thinks, as long as YOU are satisfied." Very enlightening thread, I'm really enjoying this. Thanks for everybody's input!!!
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Revell Daytona October release Reply with quote

A quick update on the Daytona release. I just spoke to probably the best major independent hobby retailer of model cars, Model Empire in West Allis,Wisconsin. I was told very simply that there is one employee at Revell right now and that a German hobby Consortium was in the process of taking full ownership of Revell/Monogram. There is no set release date that they are aware of and kits trickle out without Rhyme or Reason. They have announced a new tool of a 69 Chevelle and have also announced several rereleases but there is no word on any of this actually hitting the shelves. I would not attempt to purchase one of these kits from one of these online model stores because again, the company is in flux and is in the process of a change of ownership. Faceless online retailers are all too happy to take your money and make you wait for a product sometimes for months. Support your local independent hobby shop . The good news is R/M is not dead and we will eventually see new product as well as some old favorites hopefully sooner rather than later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: