Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1991 #18 Navy Lumina

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scooter64

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: 1991 #18 Navy Lumina Reply with quote

#18 Navy Chevrolet Lumina driven by Greg Sacks in the Daytona 500...

dirt cheap diecast...Mike's superior 1991 Daytona 500 Armed Forces decal set...Rusto Navy Blue/Gloss White...SEM for the chassis...

extras: wheels and tires from a new Revell Glue kit...added some bars to the interior...added a "package tray" to hide the trunk area...slapped on some Powerslide tire detail decals...had to dig to find a Lumina grill...used the one from the #64 Food Lion car. (only thing i couldn't find was a black LUMINA decal for the front air dam...)

what can i say...it's a 28 year old diecast...the glass was wonky...the interior is wonky...the tires (which are still in awesome shape and will probably end up on another car) were wonky and too small.

and it doesn't want to go back together correctly...Shocked

i will update with more pics when i get it mounted up in the display case.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY nicely done!!
Jim N

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job! It's always very odd to me that something can come apart reasonably well and then refuse to go back together. Great job sticking to it.
arca guy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done!
scooter64

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you gentlemen...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mounted up and ready to ship...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very tidy work.

Is that one of those Revell or Sports Image diecasts?

I have one for Dale Sr.'s '94 Lumina. They're not the most sophisticated diecast models, but the crazy thing is that this brand has a fairly accurate body at the back end.

Seeing this encourages me to maybe pick up a couple of extras.

The much more detailed Action/Lionel Luminas all have weird quirks with their body design. The back bumper is hiked up higher than a can-can girl's skirt and there's a sort of 'scalloped' finish on the front air dam that I've never seen on any race car from the early '90s.

Any pics available of the 'package tray'?
scooter64

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bangor boy wrote:
Very tidy work.

Is that one of those Revell or Sports Image diecasts?

I have one for Dale Sr.'s '94 Lumina. They're not the most sophisticated diecast models, but the crazy thing is that this brand has a fairly accurate body at the back end.

Seeing this encourages me to maybe pick up a couple of extras.

The much more detailed Action/Lionel Luminas all have weird quirks with their body design. The back bumper is hiked up higher than a can-can girl's skirt and there's a sort of 'scalloped' finish on the front air dam that I've never seen on any race car from the early '90s.

Any pics available of the 'package tray'?

nothing special...i cut it out of a post office plastic mail divider thing that was left in my mailbox...i actually just eyeballed it...rough cut it...then trimmed it to "fit".

this was a Racing Champions car...i think...i should know...i've had it upside down to unscrew the body 20 times.

i thought about using a "newer" piece as a donor...but my ocd was like "you can't put '91 decals on a '92...'93...body."

and thank you...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: 91 Navy Lumina Reply with quote

Great job ! Whatever happened to Greg Sacks anyhow? There's so many cheap NASCAR diecast on Craigslist around here maybe I need to start checking some of them out. This thing looks really neat, the only problem I have with diecast it's how thick they look around the wheel wells but I haven't been using my Dremel tool much lately and it's getting lonely. I always thought the Revell 92 T-Bird diecast was the sharpest out of all that body style. The AMT and monogram kits don't really thrill me.
scooter64

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Navy Lumina Reply with quote

Bobby The Cabdriver wrote:
Great job ! Whatever happened to Greg Sacks anyhow? There's so many cheap NASCAR diecast on Craigslist around here maybe I need to start checking some of them out. This thing looks really neat, the only problem I have with diecast it's how thick they look around the wheel wells but I haven't been using my Dremel tool much lately and it's getting lonely. I always thought the Revell 92 T-Bird diecast was the sharpest out of all that body style. The AMT and monogram kits don't really thrill me.

i had to take the dremel to the truck i did for my oldest...some areas around the wheel wells were 3/16th of an inch...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Showroom All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: